Apple's iOS 13.2 release bricks HomePod for some users [u]

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    I have the HomePod "Update Automatically" option turned off fortunately, as well as all my other electronic equipment that provides the option.
     Would be nice to hear what actually caused this update to not execute as designed and how it escaped detection. Maybe Apple needs a public beta program for HomePods.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 34
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Interesting. I was updating my Homepod today and thought it had finished. Apparently it had not, because it still has iOS 12.4 and says I'm up to date. Also, the Install Updates Automatically button is on, but greyed out - I can't change it. I suppose this is Apple's doing to avoid issues. No badge notification on icon.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 34
    chaickachaicka Posts: 257member
    The 'Install Updates Automatically' button is always grey-out on devices which is not login to the same 'master-admin ID' of your 'Home'.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 34
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    If Apple had a lightning connector on the bottom (which they actually sort of do, there's pins underneath the cap on the bottom but you have to break off the glue to get to them and hold wires onto the pins) none of this would be a real issue. Plug in and restore through iTunes/Finder. Was really looking forward to giving this a go, hoepfully they'll find and fix it soon. Can't see it happening for a week or so though.
    edited October 2019 caladanianseanjrazorpitwatto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 25 of 34
    I agree with the comments about (lack of) quality control. It’s one thing to have but gs after an update. It’s another to have bricked devices. Or deleting emails.

For years now, Apple has delivered „evolutionary“ updates. Not complete redesigns. And it has unrestricted access to its own hardware for testing. I would therefore expect them to do better.

Hardware quality is stellar. Why they can’t get it right with software is beyond me.
    edited October 2019 caladanianseanjelijahgAlex1N
  • Reply 26 of 34
    noelosnoelos Posts: 127member
    Actually, it would appear you’re correct according to National Geographic:

The odds of becoming a lightningvictim in the U.S. in any one year is 1 in 700,000. The odds of being struck in your lifetime is 1 in 3,000
    That doesn't seem right. If an average lifespan is 100 years and the first figure is correct, then you'd expect chances of being stuck to be no more than 100 in 700,000 or 1 in 7,000 (and really a bit less).

https://www.weather.gov/safety/lightning-odds has a one-year chance of one in 1.2 million and a lifetime chance of one in 15,000 with an estimated lifespan of 80 years. At least this is internally consistent.

NatGeo might need to hire someone with statistics training.
    philboogiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Still seeing the update in my Home app at the moment 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 34
    Hope you guys experiencing issues will resolve this without much difficulty. Thanks for posting this. I'm holding out on my update.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 34
    I think it's just a matter of time for Apple to discontinue this product.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    hucom2000 said:
    I agree with the comments about (lack of) quality control. It’s one thing to have but gs after an update. It’s another to have bricked devices. Or deleting emails.

For years now, Apple has delivered „evolutionary“ updates. Not complete redesigns. And it has unrestricted access to its own hardware for testing. I would therefore expect them to do better.

Hardware quality is stellar. Why they can’t get it right with software is beyond me.
    Well at least we’ve moved past deleting user accounts...

https://appleinsider.com/articles/09/10/12/snow_leopard_guest_account_bug_deletes_user_data
    philboogiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 34
    I look forward to Daniel’s editorial explaining in a 20 page article that this was an intentional move on the part of Apple unfairly covered by a biased media and how Samsung will soon be copying Apple’s move to brick their equivalent of the home pod!
    dewmemuthuk_vanalingamOnPartyBusinesselijahg
  • Reply 32 of 34
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    flydog said:
    jungmark said:
    I always wait at least a week before updating. 
    Given that there are over 1.5 billion iOS devices, the odds of a device being bricked are lower than being struck by lightning. 

But wait away if it makes you feel better. 
    Exactly right. When you have that many devices out there changing anything will cause problems, will even “brick”, some subset of them.
    Happens to all of Apple’s OSs.
    Happens to Windows systems.
    Happens to Android systems.
    Heck it even happens to non computer manufacturers.
    It even happens if the manufacturer does NOT update their OS.
    Yes, it is a PITA when its your system that is down.
    Yes, Apple needs to fix it ASAP.
    But it’s not due to negligence or incompetence, or even malice toward you personally.
    S*** happens. I know, I work for a manufacturer. We even make our own software for our systems. 
    No matter how completely and studiously stuff is tested, there is always that one situation, that one combination, that you never thought of.
    In QC, where I work, we usually call it tolerance stacking. Everything is as designed and works perfectly when tested, but this part, and that actuator, and the new software don’t like each other. 
    It happens. 

razorpitwatto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 33 of 34
    UPDATE on my Bricked HomePods. Apple Support was great about offering a repair exchange. Boxes are on the way, with a 5 day turn around expected of new HomePods.
    Although a pain to have to do all this, their support and customer service remain a big positive in my experience.

An aside:  Their hold music 'quality' was atrocious - distorted and patchy - so out of curiosity I tried out Shazam. Lo and behold it ID'd the Shawn Mendez song instantly. 
    It was actually Beyonce but.... just kidding. The algorithms powering Shazam are wicked good.

I will update this if there is a glitch in the HomePod exchange.
    philboogiewatto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 34 of 34
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    I don’t have a HomePod but I never have auto updates on and this is why. 

Word to the wise.

a couple weeks ago I was in the middle of a project when there was a Procreate update. Having never really had an issue with any of there updates and out of excitement & not listening to my better judgement I updated. Sure enough there was a critical bug that caused the app to crash when you tried to change brushes! Fortunately I was able to pivot to photoshop on the Mac with Astropad, but it was a bit of a headache. A couple years ago a similar thing happened with Keynote. Forget what the details were now, and I don’t think it was really a bug of keynote so much as some sort of compatibility issue with what I was working on. Anyway, I *usually* try to avoid the temptation to update until after I know it’s safe and I have wiggle room to deal with issues.
    watto_cobra