Mac Pro SD Card Slot Interface

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
The Mac Pro specs lists the following:

I/O card installed in the half-length x4 PCI Express slot with:
Two USB 3 ports
Support for USB-A (up to 5Gb/s)
Two Thunderbolt 3 ports
Support for Thunderbolt 3 (up to 40Gb/s)
Support for USB-C (up to 10Gb/s)
Support for DisplayPort
====

Since it doesn't come with an SD Card Reader Slot, this mandates an external reader. Apples sells one that uses a USB-C cable. From above, it looks like the Mac Pro supports USB-C but it doesn't come with one. My guess is that adding a USB-C will be an configuration option?  Thoughts?  Where would this slot be added?  Doesn't look like it's got anyplace to go.  

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    OkiRun said:

Two USB 3 ports
    Two Thunderbolt 3 ports
    Support for DisplayPort
    ====

Since it doesn't come with an SD Card Reader Slot, this mandates an external reader. Apples sells one that uses a USB-C cable. From above, it looks like the Mac Pro supports USB-C but it doesn't come with one. My guess is that adding a USB-C will be an configuration option?  Thoughts?  Where would this slot be added?  Doesn't look like it's got anyplace to go.  
    What? A Thunderbolt 3 port is a USB-C port.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    OkiRun said:

Two USB 3 ports
    Two Thunderbolt 3 ports
    Support for DisplayPort
    ====

What? A Thunderbolt 3 port is a USB-C port.

Thank you. I was not aware of that.  Back to more reading.  This information is exponential.  It was confusing to me as to why the specs listed "Support for Thunderbolt 3" AND "Support for USB-C" seperately when T3 is the same thing.  
  • Reply 3 of 3

"The most recent versions of the two interfaces, Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C, converged the parallel paths and now use the same, universal port. The difference between older versions of USB and Thunderbolt was easy to see, but now it often creates confusion for IT administrators and others seeking to distinguish between the two.While the interface is universal, there are several key differences between Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C."

I see now.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  The Apple USB-C SD Reader will connect directly into one of the Mac Pro's T3 connectors and work.