Apple TV+ review: 'See' is no 'Game of Thrones'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member

sree said:
    My concern with AppleTV+ is not really the quality of the shows, given enough money there will be a few good ones and a few bad ones.
    My question is - 'what does apple bring to the table?'. 

Apple has always been meticulous is choosing to enter spaces where they can bring something to the table. whether it is wearables, phones, music players, iTunes etc. I don't see anything that apple can do in streaming shows that others can't or don't have the ability to do. I am not convinced this is a great investment.
    Irrelevant. I like good shows on Netflix, HBO, Amazon, Showtime, wherever. It’s a service, not a product. If the service has value I’ll pay for it, that’s what Apple gets out of the deal. 
  • Reply 42 of 66
    lmaclmac Posts: 206member
    I'll want to see this one, but I can see one plot point that I want explained before seeing a single episode.  How can people who can't see tell that a couple of babies, who presumably have the same lack of communication skills that real world babies do, can see?
    Reading books.
    Who taught them to read?
  • Reply 43 of 66
    lmaclmac Posts: 206member
    Have any of you read the HG Wells short story, The Country of the Blind? A sighted person discovers a valley where everyone is blind, and thinks to himself, "In the valley of the blind, the one-eyed man is king." The reader begins by thinking the sighted man will have an advantage over them, but the story cleverly turns it around, in a number of examples where, for example, the blind are proficient at something that happens in total darkness and they think the new guy is incompetent because he can't do the thing without his sight.
    edited November 2019 AppleExposedSpamSandwichllama
  • Reply 44 of 66
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,024member
    I find it interesting that so many people are comparing this to Game of Thrones when it is absolutely worlds apart, in not only timeframe but also plot.
    AppleExposedcy_starkman
  • Reply 45 of 66
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Apple should have picked up The Expanse from SyFy, but Amazon beat them to the punch!  The show is awesome!  
    Tried to watch it. It’s trash, period.
    llama
  • Reply 46 of 66
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    I feel like if the world were blind and 2 babies could see, the blind would sense it and it would be obvious.

Grayeagle said:
    As far as TV+ is concerned, Tim Cook reminds me of Dan Snyder, the owner of the Redskins.  Neither can keep from interfering, and let the people alone who actually have to make the decisions and do the job. 

Cook needs to worry about iPhones, Macs, Wearables, Security, Privacy, Chinese and Indian Sales, Warren's intention to break up Big Tech, and the R&D programs. IMO, that's more than enough.

He should leave the TV+ to those who really understand the idiom.

Just my two cents from a guy who owned one of the first B&W TV sets.
    Care to share just a shred of evidence to back up your absurd claim? 

Rumor sites.
  • Reply 47 of 66
    surely a better comparison than GoT would be 100.

and for the record that no one is keeping. i prefer Momosa in Stargate than GoT - and this is more like him in Stargate.

i think we can determine that Apple is not trying to beat any TV network, they are providing a free service to hardware purchasers; if not that, then they are spending money to prove they have the reach in this medium to the studios that refused Apple’s offers to make a subscription video service.

people also seem to miss that Apple has been releasing music inside iTunes for a long time from their own studio. they are not entirely clueless about creatives, their processes or products.

finally, i really see this as a rounding out of Apple Services before it is spun off into another company by the US Government. Apple can easily see the writing on the wall and has been planning for it. Games, Music, TV, Apps, Cloud Storage across phones, computers and TV with strong enough sales and enough customers that it will never be bought out and will be free to join its parent as another of the world’s biggest companies. I suspect said company will make all that available on Android and Windows as well being the only such combined service, or games or app service that let’s you move platforms AND keep your software, while pitching to software makers that they have the track record in making them money compared to other stores.

The government is not making baby bells, they are letting another monster out of the cage. get ready to invest.
    edited November 2019 JinTech
  • Reply 48 of 66
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    I thought GOT was a crock of shit, so if this is not as good as that, I'll definitely give it a miss.
  • Reply 49 of 66
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    lmac said:
    I'll want to see this one, but I can see one plot point that I want explained before seeing a single episode.  How can people who can't see tell that a couple of babies, who presumably have the same lack of communication skills that real world babies do, can see?
    Reading books.
    Who taught them to read?
    You don't think blind people are able to teach other blind people to read Braille (i.e.: via touch)?
  • Reply 50 of 66
    I enjoyed the pilot of See. Despite one poster thinking this is an attack on his sitting in front of the TV watching Fox News all day I think it's clear that the creator, Steven Knight, took a literal meaning to the old adage "in the kingdom of the blind the one-eyed man is king" and said to himself, "maybe it wouldn't be so easy," to come up with the concept.

Comparisons to GoT make even less sense after watching the pilot to this post-apocalyptic series.
  • Reply 51 of 66
    sreesree Posts: 152member

sree said:
    My concern with AppleTV+ is not really the quality of the shows, given enough money there will be a few good ones and a few bad ones.

Apple has always been meticulous is choosing to enter spaces where they can bring something to the table. whether it is wearables, phones, music players, iTunes etc. I don't see anything that apple can do in streaming shows that others can't or don't have the ability to do. I am not convinced this is a great investment.
    Irrelevant. I like good shows on Netflix, HBO, Amazon, Showtime, wherever. It’s a service, not a product. If the service has value I’ll pay for it, that’s what Apple gets out of the deal. 
    Not really. iTunes was a service, iCloud is a service, so is apple pay and card in way. But we can clearly see where those services integrate into a whole and what apple brings to the table. Apple did not go out and hire musicians to create music for iTunes.

This is different, and atleast I don't see what apple brings to the table currently other than money and that bothers me.
  • Reply 52 of 66
    macgui said:
    I'll want to see this one, but I can see one plot point that I want explained before seeing a single episode...
    Huh? You don't think that will be explained as the story unfolds, in due course?? I'm sure if you wait, there will be spoilers all over the 'net to help you cope with viewing.
    I interpreted his comment as "Even though I haven't seen a  single episode I am intrigued by ..." rather than "if this isn't explained I won't watch a single episode."

I had the same reaction.  If everyone is blind (and has been for generations) it's going to be tough to be good parents to seeing kids.
    There are very likely blind parents in our world who have raised and/or are raising children who can see. Some of those parents may be advising the See creative team about their experiences.
  • Reply 53 of 66
    sree said:

sree said:

Not really. iTunes was a service, iCloud is a service, so is apple pay and card in way. But we can clearly see where those services integrate into a whole and what apple brings to the table. Apple did not go out and hire musicians to create music for iTunes.

This is different, and atleast I don't see what apple brings to the table currently other than money and that bothers me.
    1) iTunes is a product. iTunes Store (nee iTunes Music Store) is still a service. There is no was about.

2) What do you mean all brings is money? What products or services don't take money to create? You may not like the shows that Apple is creating, but I don't care for most movies or series that anyone has ever made. That's simply the nature of entertainment. Even the most loved or profitable movie (they are not usually the same think) only ever reach a subset of people. But all that's beside the point because it's unlikely that you've watched everything TV+ has offered to know that Apple has nothing to offer with its own streaming service.
  • Reply 54 of 66
    "There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance. It's a $500 subsidized item. They may make a lot of money. But if you actually take a look at the 1.3 billion phones that get sold, I'd prefer to have our software in 60% or 70% or 80% of them, than I would to have 2% or 3%, which is what Apple might get." - Steve Ballmer

No way a company who builds hardware is going to come in and be successful at entertainment.
  • Reply 55 of 66
    fumi said:
    This sounded utterly lame from the moment Jason Momoa appeared on stage back in the Spring at that Apple Event and asked everyone to close their eyes. Apple will quickly learn that throwing millions of dollars at rubbish will still still give you rubbish. To be honest, I haven't seen a single trailer for anything on AppleTV+ that's made me think Oh, wow. I have to see that.

HBO's Watchmen is currently the most compelling thing on TV, in my opinion.
    Another AMAZING HBO show is Succession. Give it 5 episodes or so. Modern Shakespeare-like theater on your small screen. 

HBO is really good at keeping people subscribed to their service by timing when to release at least 1 or 2 top shows and by releasing episodes slowly - avoiding people binging it all in two evenings.

Will take a long time before Apple gets there.
    edited November 2019
  • Reply 56 of 66
    sreesree Posts: 152member
    Soli said:
    sree said:

sree said:

1) iTunes is a product. iTunes Store (nee iTunes Music Store) is still a service. There is no was about.

2) What do you mean all brings is money? What products or services don't take money to create? You may not like the shows that Apple is creating, but I don't care for most movies or series that anyone has ever made. That's simply the nature of entertainment. Even the most loved or profitable movie (they are not usually the same think) only ever reach a subset of people. But all that's beside the point because it's unlikely that you've watched everything TV+ has offered to know that Apple has nothing to offer with its own streaming service.
    Not sure what you are trying to say, and why you are twisting what I said. 

I never said apple can't do a decent job or that making money is not the motive of companies. My 'concern' was very specific - what does apple bring to the table other than their money? In tech products or the tech services, there was always their product design, solution integration, tech sensibility etc. that they brought to the table. Nothing like that with AppleTV+, the streaming tech is already fairly well done, and the content seems to be the only differentiating factor which is not apple's strength in any way. They basically need to acquire people or companies and be a copy-cat in the space. They might still succeed, but this is still a departure from norm for them (unless there is something more to their strategy which we are not privy to, and which is very much possible).
  • Reply 57 of 66
    So we are in a time where everyone has a definitive opinion. 
    Especially for things they have not seen yet. 

I am in the middle of the 2nd episode of See and I love it. 

The metaphor of not seeing is extremely powerful.
    Things that you don't see happen and interact with you in a very violent way. 

Which is exactly what happens in our lives with things we do not understand. 

So far, Apple TV+ shows seem to me smart, in the sense that they do not provide the easy answers we expect - that is also true of The Morning Show, which shows reality through several points of view and directions, without making an explicit choice for one. 
    they expect the viewer to use its brain and make its own opinion.
    I really think that makes them very strong.
    and for me it explains the many negative reviews. 

I see huge potential in See and its metaphor.
    I wish it can be as powerful as the one of cylons in Battlestar Galactica, the very best show about humans. 

• Reply 58 of 66
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I kinda like "See" so far.

It's convenient of course that the Witchfinders didn't think of using spears or arrows or thrown weapons as it could have been over in one episode, but if you just overlook some stuff like you have to with most Sci-Fi/Fantasy content I can see possibilities for the show.  I'll keep watching. 
    edited November 2019
  • Reply 59 of 66
    gatorguy said:

It's convenient of course that the Witchfinders didn't think of using spears or arrows or thrown weapons as it could have been over in one episode, but if you just overlook some stuff like you have to with most Sci-Fi/Fantasy content I can see possibilities for the show.  I'll keep watching. 
    It would probably be too inaccurate. They have enhanced skills for blind people, but they aren't Daredevils.

Be the giant I know you are and step over it. :smiley: 
    edited November 2019 SpamSandwichllama
  • Reply 60 of 66
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Soli said:
    gatorguy said:

It would probably be too inaccurate. They have enhanced skills for blind people, but they aren't Daredevils.

Be the giant I know you are and step over it. :smiley: 
    I just realized I had put "Forest Sounds" playing on my smart speakers earlier this morning after seeing mention of it on on HomePods now. It actually adds to "See"s ambience. :)