Apple's new 16-Inch MacBook Pro: Everything you need to know

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited June 2020
After months of rumors, the revamped 16-inch MacBook Pro is official. Here is everything you need to know about the new machine.

The updated 16-inch Late-2019 MacBook Pro
The updated 16-inch Late-2019 MacBook Pr

This redesign to produce a 16-inch MacBook Pro follows a minor spec bump in mid-2019 and the large redesign that happened in late 2016. While the external appearance is about the same, it is a bit larger in every dimension, in part to pack in a larger display.

In addition to the slightly larger size, Apple has reduced the bezels on all sides to provide more usable screen real estate for pro users.

In regards to that size increase, it is so subtle that it likely won't be noticeable unless side-by-side. The new MacBook Pro also weighs a bit more, mostly due to the new battery that is absolutely the largest that the TSA allows, that can provide an additional hour of use.

Improved keyboard

Also new on the updated MacBook Pro is an improved keyboard. The new Magic Keyboard-derived design also returns the inverted "T" arrow keys and dissociates the escape key from the Touch Bar.

A redesigned keyboard has a dedicated escape key, Touch ID sensor, and an inverted 'T' for arrow keys
A redesigned keyboard has a dedicated escape key, Touch ID sensor, and an inverted 'T' for arrow keys

Apple's Phil Schiller talked at length about designing the new machine and how much effort went into making it comfortable and stable to type on, while still being reliable. With the redesign, we are excited to try out the 1mm of key travel, and see how it differs from the 2019 15-inch MacBook Pro.

More power GPU and better cooling

Thanks to the new GPUs, it can support up to two displays with 6016by3384 resolution at 60Hz or up to four displays with 4096by2304 resolution at 60Hz. That includes two Apple Pro Display XDRs when they launch this December.

Other improvements include better cooling for longer sustained maximum performance, and a faster 96W USB-C charger.

Improved speakers

After much-improved audio came to its recent products such as the Beats Solo Pro, AirPods Pro (see our AirPods Pro review), and even the iPhone 11 Pro, the MacBook Pro also has better audio reproduction from the six on-board speakers.

Updated MacBook Pro
Updated MacBook Pro

Looking at the specs, the new machines start at the same $2,399 price point as the base 15-inch MacBook Pro but are more powerful overall. The base model starts with a 2.6GHz 6-core 9th-generation Intel Core i7 processor. It can be upgraded to a 2.4Ghz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9.

It starts with 16GB of RAM, the AMD Radeon Pro 5300M with 4GB of GDDR6 memory, and 512GB SSD storage. Maxed out with an i9 processor, 8TB of storage, and 64GB of RAM, the new machine could run you over $6,000.

How to save on Apple's 16-inch MacBook Pro

B&H Photo, an Apple Authorized Reseller, is accepting orders for the new 16-inch MacBook Pro with a variety of incentives. Shoppers can select between no interest financing when paid in full within 12 months with the B&H Financing Card or a sales tax refund in eligible states with its Payboo Credit Card. The latter can save many shoppers anywhere from $200 on the standard configuration to $500 on a maxed out model on average.

Stay tuned to AppleInsider in the coming days for full analysis and breakdown once we get our hands on the new machines. And be sure to check out the AppleInsider 16-inch MacBook Pro Price Guide for the latest deals and product availability on Apple's newest hardware.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    So, is the screen 1.0" larger, or 0.6"? Inquiring minds want to know...
  • Reply 2 of 11
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    So, is the screen 1.0" larger, or 0.6"? Inquiring minds want to know…
    It looks to be 0.6" (1.54cm) wider on the diagonal, according to Apple's Tech Specs, which translates into an additional 8.47" square (54.65 cm sq).
    oseamewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Soli said:
    It looks to be 0.6" (1.54cm) wider on the diagonal, according to Apple's Tech Specs, which translates into an additional 8.47" square (54.65 cm sq).
    Sorry for nitpicking here, but 0.6" is a given. What's not clear if it's a 16.0" or a, excuse for this one, a 16.9". Okay, that obviously/likely isn't it, but are other 16" screens all 16.0" I mean, most 15" screens are actually 15.4". So, would this be 16.0" or 16.4"? Or something else? Nowhere have I read 16.0"...And watching Ms. Vocal Fry iJustine it would seem 16.0" given the overall size of the laptop.

• Reply 4 of 11
    linkman said:
    I think Apple are raping customers over their prices for RAM, which you can't do a User Install. I also believe it should give a 3 year warranty with all products. Failure rates must be high not to do this. Apple should start giving better deals, after all it can afford to do it. Give something back Apple. Your customers will be far happier and your competitors will cry and lose sales to Apple. A win, win for everyone.
    Do you realize that extending the warranty only adds to the cost of the product? Apple would estimate the cost of the additional warranty claims per unit and simply add that amount to the base price. Notice that most of the items for sale in the EU cost a good deal more in the US, and a decent part of that is the government required two year warranty. Not a win/win for everyone.
    Value Added Tax at an average of 20% is the prime reason we pay more than the USA. Knock off VAT and the price is very close to the $$ price.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Soli said:
    Sorry for nitpicking here, but 0.6" is a given. What's not clear if it's a 16.0" or a, excuse for this one, a 16.9". Okay, that obviously/likely isn't it, but are other 16" screens all 16.0" I mean, most 15" screens are actually 15.4". So, would this be 16.0" or 16.4"? Or something else? Nowhere have I read 16.0"...And watching Ms. Vocal Fry iJustine it would seem 16.0" given the overall size of the laptop.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Exactly! Nowhere does it state the size...

• Reply 7 of 11
    Visit the local Apple store!
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Exactly! Nowhere does it state the size...

Nowhere? I just showed you where. The fuck are you talking about? It says 16". Not 16.x". If it were anything other than 16", it'd say so, just like it does for the 13.3". That was the whole point.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    fastasleep said:

Nowhere? I just showed you where. The fuck are you talking about? It says 16". Not 16.x". If it were anything other than 16", it'd say so, just like it does for the 13.3". That was the whole point.
    That I get. But when people refer to the previous model as 15" some may think this new one is 1 inch larger. Because of that I'd rather see 16.0" instead of 16".

• Reply 10 of 11
    fastasleep said:

That I get. But when people refer to the previous model as 15" some may think this new one is 1 inch larger. Because of that I'd rather see 16.0" instead of 16".

OMG who cares.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    taddtadd Posts: 136member
    Is there a specification for battery consumption while sleeping? 
    watto_cobra