Rumored 'iPhone SE 2' shown off in new renders and video

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2020
A previously reliable source has released a series of images and a 360-degree video showing a render of what they believe the "iPhone SE 2" will look like.

Renders of an 'iPhone 9' (Source: iGeeksBlog)
Renders of an 'iPhone 9' (Source: iGeeksBlog)

Designs for Apple's heavily rumored successor to the iPhone SE, a budget phone variously known as the "iPhone SE 2" or sometimes the "iPhone 9," has allegedly been leaked. The renders come from OnLeaks, a source that correctly predicted the iPhone 11 Pro's triple camera system.

And finally comes your very first look at #Apple's highly anticipated #iPhoneSE2 aka #iPhone9!

360 video + stunning official looking 5K renders + dimensions, on behalf of my Friends over @igeeksblog

-> https://t.co/vXBBRhDlgA pic.twitter.com/YQHMEZUz9e

-- Steve H.McFly (@OnLeaks)

The OnLeaks Twitter account links to full details and all of his leaked renders on igeeksblog.

That site, using information from OnLeaks, says that the forthcoming budget-price device will be released in the first half of 2020. It claims that what it calls the "iPhone 9" will be almost exactly the same design as the iPhone 8 with a 4.7-inch screen and a single-lens camera bump.

The details in the leak are exact enough that the publication can claim that this new model will be 7.8mm thick instead of the 7.3mm of the iPhone 8.

The naming of the device as "iPhone 9" seems unlikely, but it has previously been reported by other sources.

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has said that the phone will go into production in January 2020 and be launched at the end of March.

Kuo also reports that the phone will resemble the iPhone 8, and expects Apple to sell between two and four million of them. Other analysts are predicting similar success.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    M68000M68000 Posts: 840member
    Does the name SE stand for something?  Initials for something?   
  • Reply 2 of 37
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,954member
     :'(

huge size, camera bump, not full screen, no Face ID... what am I gonna do when my SE gets too long in the tooth?????

how hard would it have been to just put an edge to edge display and Face ID in an SE chassis? or at least give us the iPhoneX body with the better screen if we're going to have to have a bigger device. hrumph. 

edit:: And they're still selling the 8... sooo are they going to discontinue that when they release the "9" or whatever it's going to be branded? why not just fill in th.... whatever I'm done thinking about it.
    edited January 2020 baconstangleftoverbaconhcrefugeeJWSCGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 3 of 37
    M68000 said:
    Sorry Edition.
    cornchipdoozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 37
    Bezels in 2020...
    A virtual kickstand to hop over to the competition
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 5 of 37
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,144member
    I have two SE iPhones.  However, the phone they show of that size and with rounded edges is no SE.  
    leftoverbaconiphoner2bighcrefugeeJWSCharry wildGeorgeBMacpulseimages
  • Reply 6 of 37
    Hank2.0Hank2.0 Posts: 151member
    I have two SE iPhones.  However, the phone they show of that size and with rounded edges is no SE.  
    Amen. If I wanted an 8 sized iPhone I would have bought an iPhone 8. I have an SE because IT IS SMALL!
    iphoner2bighcrefugeebaconstangJWSCmattinozharry wildCarnageGeorgeBMacleftoverbaconpulseimages
  • Reply 7 of 37
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,921member
    This iPhone 9 can kill iPhone 8 and older and convenience users with iPhone TouchID legion to upgrade to iPhone 9/SE2 at modest price comparing to XR. Others will say thank you Apple but if we need to upgrade, iPhone 12 5G is our next upgrade. In a nutshell, success of SE2 will be nothing but price. 32GB $399 and 64GB $449.
    edited January 2020
  • Reply 8 of 37
    iPhone 8 will be discontinued when iPhone 9 launches. It will have a $499 price point. It will have the same A13 as the iPhone 11. Will be faster than iPhone XR, but with Touch ID instead of Face ID.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 37
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    If they want to kill it, they need to keep the size of the SE, but with a full screen. Everything else wouldn't make any sense.
    edited January 2020 leftoverbaconiphoner2bighcrefugeebaconstangJWSCharry wild
  • Reply 10 of 37
    The SE, as I understood it, referred to Special Edition. It was sold as a one-off, not a recurring line. Similarly, this phone is in the same category. The name iPhone Classic would be appropriate here. Apple is no longer conflating size with price. There will be a smaller phone in 2020, the 5.4 inch iPhone 12, but it will not be sold at a budget price. It will have smaller overall dimensions than the iPhone 8. The iPhone Classic will be larger, but much less expensive. The only remaining question for the low end phone is if it will have wireless charging? For $399, it may not.

The 2020 line up is likely:
    iPhone Classic $399 64 GB, ($449 128 GB) A13
    iPhone XR $499 A12
    iPhone 11 $599 A13
    iPhone 12, 5.4 inch $649 A14
    iPhone 12, 6.1 inch $749 A14
    iPhone 12 Pro, 6.1 inch $999 A14
    iPhone 12 Pro Max, 6.7 inch $1099 A14
    StrangeDaysfastasleepstanthemandoozydozen
  • Reply 11 of 37
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,666member
    M68000 said:
    I guess they could have called it "value edition" or VE to emulate McDonald's Value Menu, i.e., you know, the cheapest way to clog your arteries and get on the fast track to your diabetic future. The SE offering is simply a lower cost entry point into the Apple ecosystem. 

Still, there's nothing wrong with rolling out some high quality Apple products that expand the buying choices for NEW products. Even though the n-1 and n-2 iPhones that stay in the store beyond their freshness date are still very good values, they're still last year or two years prior phones and all the excitement confetti for those models is already on the floor. I do think they should aim for the $399 target price with the SE2, which may be why the iPhone 8 rather than the iPhone XR may be the basis for the new SE, if there is going to be one. 
  • Reply 12 of 37
    Camera bump: Check
    Rounded Edges: Check
    Phablet Size: Check

every last thing that had me dump my iPhone 6S for the SE the day it came out.

Apple. You are missing the boat here. There is a significant number of folks who absolutely despise the slippery large size of what your new phones have become.

Why not give us a REAL SE2 (Special Edition). Take the existing SE, pack in an edge to edge screen, keep touch ID, updated internals and camera, and I guarantee you will sell millions. I know many folks who would gladly pay a premium for a small phone.

I'm on my 3rd iPhone SE. I will continue to use this form factor until you give us another small phone, or it becomes completely obsolete.

There are small phones on the Android platform (the Palm Palm comes to mind), and the Lite Phone is a compromise that's more or less a feature phone.

Please don't abandon us.
    iphoner2bigbaconstangJWSCharry wild
  • Reply 13 of 37
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,964member
    Perhaps an ugly duckling, but it could be switch averter for iOS users on a budget who otherwise might feel that new 'old' phones aren't the compromise they want to make.

It would also be a relatively easy toe dip into the Apple mobile world for current Android users.

If true, and along with a spring release, it could work. Worth a try in my book.
    dewmemuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 37
    I imagine they will eventually offer a small iPhone but it will likely cost more and arrive after most interested consumers jump to another brand that offers a powerful small phone.

About done with iPhones:(
    harry wild
  • Reply 15 of 37
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    cornchip said:
    how hard would it have been to just put an edge to edge display and Face ID in an SE chassis? or at least give us the iPhoneX body with the better screen if we're going to have to have a bigger device. hrumph. 
    Probably harder than you would think. The Face ID notch needs to be a certain absolute width to provide enough of a rangefinder base to measure depth accurately. Mounting the camera system in a narrower screen would involve shrinking or eliminating the ears. That would require significant changes to the iOS screen arrangement to build some kind of mix between the older, rectangular screens and the new ones with curved corners.

Plus the notch is part of the visual identity of Face ID. I don't think Apple would make a phone with Face ID but without the notch for maybe four more years (six years after the introduction of the notch).
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 16 of 37
    wood1208 said:
    This iPhone 9 can kill iPhone 8 and older and convenience users with iPhone TouchID legion to upgrade to iPhone 9/SE2 at modest price comparing to XR. Others will say thank you Apple but if we need to upgrade, iPhone 12 5G is our next upgrade. In a nutshell, success of SE2 will be nothing but price. 32GB $399 and 64GB $449.
    32GB storage for a brand new phone in 2020??? Seriously? Even $150 entry level android phones are coming with 64GB storage. It would be a terrible idea to put such puny storage on any phone which costs more than $200.
    harry wild
  • Reply 17 of 37
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,042member
    wood1208 said:
    This iPhone 9 can kill iPhone 8 and older and convenience users with iPhone TouchID legion to upgrade to iPhone 9/SE2 at modest price comparing to XR. Others will say thank you Apple but if we need to upgrade, iPhone 12 5G is our next upgrade. In a nutshell, success of SE2 will be nothing but price.
    Agreed, the likely intent of the SE line was to offer a less expensive model, by utilizing older tech — and older shell and in this case, much older TouchID tech vs FaceID sensor arrays. That it was smaller was probably a side effect of the older shell by the 5-series back in the day. 
    edited January 2020 harry wild
  • Reply 18 of 37
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,450member
    cornchip said:
     :'(

huge size, camera bump, not full screen, no Face ID... what am I gonna do when my SE gets too long in the tooth?????

edit:: And they're still selling the 8... sooo are they going to discontinue that when they release the "9" or whatever it's going to be branded? why not just fill in th.... whatever I'm done thinking about it.
    if you want an iPhone X, why don’t you buy an iPhone X?
    tmay
  • Reply 19 of 37
    jingojingo Posts: 118member
    I have three iPhone 6S in the family which will be replaced by this phone if/when it arrives. This is the first iPhone since then that will tempt me - the 6S is still absolutely fine but they are starting to get a bit battered and won’t be supported for ever. I have no need of the super new featured that subsequent models have offered - the price of the phones is not justified by the additional features. There is one other thing that has been a factor and that is the 3.5mm audio jack which is very convenient, but I will be prepared to finally sacrifice that for a reasonably priced, reasonably sized new phone that will carry on being supported for another decent number of years. I bet I’m not alone in this. One other thing to remember is that Apple will know EXACTLY how many old iPhones of different models are still in use. That will tell them a lot about the potential upgrade market this phone will fill. Don’t try and dispute the festure set - Apple will always have a better idea of the market needs for a product like this than you will.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,446member
    Camera bump: Check
    Rounded Edges: Check
    Phablet Size: Check

every last thing that had me dump my iPhone 6S for the SE the day it came out.

Apple. You are missing the boat here. There is a significant number of folks who absolutely despise the slippery large size of what your new phones have become.

Why not give us a REAL SE2 (Special Edition). Take the existing SE, pack in an edge to edge screen, keep touch ID, updated internals and camera, and I guarantee you will sell millions. I know many folks who would gladly pay a premium for a small phone.

I'm on my 3rd iPhone SE. I will continue to use this form factor until you give us another small phone, or it becomes completely obsolete.

There are small phones on the Android platform (the Palm Palm comes to mind), and the Lite Phone is a compromise that's more or less a feature phone.

Please don't abandon us.
    Plus it has a glass back for extra breakabity and case thickness requirements.

baconstangGeorgeBMacleftoverbacon