Taika Waititi slams Apple's MacBook Pro keyboards in Oscar speech

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    Agreed. The latest MacBook Pros are better than the horrendous butterfly keyboard versions but they still lack sufficient key travel. Apple please bring back the 2015 keyboards - which were fabulous! 
    kiowavtjdwdysamoria
  • Reply 42 of 61
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    I take his mocking criticism as a cry for Apple to pay attention to complaints of users who love Apple products. It’s not an unjustified criticism.
    It is a justified criticism because Apple has a bunch of unhappy customers and that is never a good thing. However, is this really the right venue to surface personal grievances about a product that he uses in the course of his daily job? What if his Hanes briefs were riding up and chafing, would you expect him to bring up his displeasure with that product when he's in the spotlight at an event geared towards a very specific domain and audience?

I'm actually not particularly fond of actors using their opportunity in the spotlight to advance causes outside of the context of the event. It's like thread hijacking in a online community forum. My point is simply that he has this opportunity in front of an attentive audience to do whatever he wants with his snapshot of fame. Go ahead Bubba, you've got the mic. He could choose to say anything or nothing at all, including things that some folks find objectionable or promote something he's passionate about. But he chooses to complain about his MacBook's keyboard. This seems odd, but what the heck, if this is the most important thing that he wants to spend his opportunity bucks on, good for him. This seems like something Forrest Gump or Sheldon Cooper would do.
  • Reply 43 of 61
    dewme said:
    So, some guy gets his few minutes of fame and brief access to a bully pulpit to thank his supporters and possibly call the world to action for a noble cause, and he uses this opportunity to whine about his personality issues with a keyboard. 

Wow. 
    downvote
    I agree. ‘Some guy...’ The guy is a successful writer and director and I figure this wasn’t his acceptance speech. Truly stupid comment. By the responses here the Ragnarok director isn’t the only one not liking the keyboard. Hey all my devices are Apple but the company isn’t perfect. And I think they would expect customers to demand nothing but the best from them. 
    kiowavtSpamSandwich
  • Reply 44 of 61
    dewme said:
    I take his mocking criticism as a cry for Apple to pay attention to complaints of users who love Apple products. It’s not an unjustified criticism.
    It is a justified criticism because Apple has a bunch of unhappy customers and that is never a good thing. However, is this really the right venue to surface personal grievances about a product that he uses in the course of his daily job? What if his Hanes briefs were riding up and chafing, would you expect him to bring up his displeasure with that product when he's in the spotlight at an event geared towards a very specific domain and audience?

I'm actually not particularly fond of actors using their opportunity in the spotlight to advance causes outside of the context of the event. It's like thread hijacking in a online community forum. My point is simply that he has this opportunity in front of an attentive audience to do whatever he wants with his snapshot of fame. Go ahead Bubba, you've got the mic. He could choose to say anything or nothing at all, including things that some folks find objectionable or promote something he's passionate about. But he chooses to complain about his MacBook's keyboard. This seems odd, but what the heck, if this is the most important thing that he wants to spend his opportunity bucks on, good for him. This seems like something Forrest Gump or Sheldon Cooper would do.
    I’m just guessing, but I’d assume he’s in the middle of writing the next Thor movie right now, so it’s what is on his mind.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 45 of 61
    Wow, this bozo, and this resulting article, really brought out all the closet trolls...
  • Reply 46 of 61
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    lkrupp said:
    kbee said:
    Word. In your face, Apple.
    To be expected from the hater crowd. ONE guy with a national platform complains about his keyboard and it's a bias confirmation  orgy from the peanut gallery.
    Are you actually using the butterfly keyboard and using it a lot or just taking another cheap shot at someone who has a problem with the keyboard.   Only the 15in MBP has been fixed while Apple shoved the crap Keyboard into the MacBookAir.

its the people complaining who love the product because they use them a lot.
    henrybayanantksundaramkiowavt
  • Reply 47 of 61
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    Wonder if he will ever get an opportunity to write and develop content for Apple TV+?
    Only if Apple throws lots of money at him.
    henrybaybeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 48 of 61
    Wow, this bozo, and this resulting article, really brought out all the closet trolls...
    Yeah. And every mindless MBP muppet...
  • Reply 49 of 61
    Speaking as a New Zealander you have to take this guy with a grain of salt. He makes great movies but outside of film his voice is without merit.
  • Reply 50 of 61
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Speaking as a New Zealander you have to take this guy with a grain of salt. He makes great movies but outside of film his voice is without merit.
    He's a Mac notebook user. If you feel has no merit based on that criteria then you must see that you would also have no merit by posting your opinion on this forum.
    kiowavt
  • Reply 51 of 61
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,339member
    lkrupp said:
    kbee said:
    Word. In your face, Apple.
    To be expected from the hater crowd. ONE guy ...

The above statement is so typical of blind defenders of the status quo.  These impassioned critics are our fellow Apple fans, the veteran Mac users of old.  If they weren't Apple fans, they would not so passionately want Apple to hear their cries and make the Mac better!  Yet some among us who cannot see with eyes of diversity perceive anyone and everyone who speaks even a little ill of Apple to be "a hater."  One could be the greatest defender of Apple ever, yet should that person dare to say, "the keys need more tactical feedback on this one machine," then the blind defenders break forth and declare that person "a hater."  

Well, I am a warrior Mac user.  That means I tell the good and the bad with my shield raised high in a battle stance without fear of being called "a hater."  I will NOT back down from speaking the truth only because blind defenders and Apple worshippers come out and launch their fiery darts at us.  These blind defenders think they are righteous and in the majority only due to the financial success of Apple.  They literally worship Apple, thinking Apple is infallible.  These people are wrong, and saying they are wrong in no way determines the financial fate of Apple, which is a separate matter completely. Apple is not infallible, and my stating that truth does not make me a hater.  But the saddest part us, these folks are not the enemy we raise our shields against, they are people in our fold -- fellow Mac users.  So the war we so often fight is not with PC users and those who mock all things Apple, but within our own ranks among people who embrace Apple as lovingly as we do.

It's time for Mac lovers to unite on certain realities rather than tear each other apart.  Calling some Mac lovers among us haters does no good at all.  And being blind to certain realities (that some Mac LOVERS may in fact be different than you and dislike the things you like about Macs) is not productive.  We need to embrace our diversity in brotherly love.  Calling some of us "haters" because we despise Apple's tactical feedback choices is not brotherly love, let me tell you.  It seeks to marginalize legitimate opinions and gut them of importance.  It is spite, hard at work.  We are all in the same boat of love for the Mac.  Let us therefore treat each other with the utmost respect, even if some among us chose to Think Different.
  • Reply 52 of 61
    I’m not a hater. I spent a ton of money on a 2017 15” MacBook Pro.  Between the crazy huge trackpad that constantly moved my cursor to new and unhelpful locations and the stupid keyboard I finally recently sold it at a loss.  I love the Apple universe, but the drive to be the coolest and thinnest, started with the first MB Air, caused me to lose work time (keyboard replacement) and to be inefficient. And to lose about $2000 selling it to someone who does not mind, not a daily heavy typer. So the whole experience is being ripped off, not hating, so they could brag thin and light.  Not good. Inappropriate. No meaningful effort to rectify the situation.  I am fine with him saying something. I wish whoever made that decision to suffer much like those who blew the Maps rollout suffered. And this is, based on my $ investment, far worse.  Mostly Apple is great, but sometimes they suck.   To stay in the Apple universe we don’t really have meaningful choices.  So I greatly resent them for the sucky keyboard indeed.  
    edited February 2020 anantksundaram
  • Reply 53 of 61

OK, 2 things are very clear.

Firstly, Taika is a MacBook fan. I find nothing wrong with his comments. You can be an Apple fan and have issues with its products.

Secondly, someone needs to make a movie starring Robert Downey Jr., Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Taika Waititi as brothers!

beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 54 of 61
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

Secondly, someone needs to make a movie starring Robert Downey Jr., Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Taika Waititi as brothers!

I like your second point a lot.
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 55 of 61
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    sandor said:
    Then buy a PC and do your word processing on that.

Solved.
    It's called customer feedback, why is it that anyone with the even the tiniest criticism of an Apple product is told to shut up and go away? 
    beowulfschmidtcgWerks
  • Reply 56 of 61
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member

blastdoor said:
    dewme said:
    So, some guy gets his few minutes of fame and brief access to a bully pulpit to thank his supporters and possibly call the world to action for a noble cause, and he uses this opportunity to whine about his personal issues with a keyboard. 

Wow. 
    "call the world to action for a noble cause"? That's been done to death. And even when it's done by popular, recognizable people it has almost no effect. We still have dictators, global warming, AIDS, and all the other things that people talk about at these events to "raise awareness". How is one more guy -- and in this case, not a very well known guy -- going to make a difference with respect to those types of issues? I don't mean to suggest those issues aren't important, just that there's very little that this guy could do about it. 

Instead, he picked a topic where (1) he knows what he's talking about and (2) he might actually make a difference. I bet Apple execs pay vastly more attention to something like this than dictators, oil execs, or viruses pay to Brad Pitt et al. 

You don't know of him so he is "unknown" then? Imagine you were given a platform which you knew would allow you to talk about something you think is important and make millions of people aware who may not be aware of, what would you say, do?

He won a screenplay award, writers use computers to write screenplays, he loves his MacBook but wants it to have a better keyboard like so many other Apple customers say everyday the difference Apple will read what he said and could care less what you or I have to say on the matter. 
  • Reply 57 of 61
    dewme said:
    So, some guy gets his few minutes of fame and brief access to a bully pulpit to thank his supporters and possibly call the world to action for a noble cause, and he uses this opportunity to whine about his personal issues with a keyboard. 

Wow. 
    Ah, Comment #7 before the ad hominem attacks start. I can't tell, does that mean the AI forums are better or worse than the internet at large?

And since "call[ing] the world to action for a noble cause" is important to you, I suggest consuming this magnificent piece of art: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5qme8n
  • Reply 58 of 61
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    leighr said:
    Also, I get a sore hand from writing too much with a pen and paper. They need to fix that.
    if you are like me, that is because you don’t write much anymore - so it is difficult now.

or you have been taught poorly, like many of us, and use bad hand posture.

both are user responsibility
    User responsibility? I have learned late in life that I have fine motors skills deficits that I was born with. No one was around in my childhood to help me with it (and I’m not sure what retraining there even is for it) because no one knew I had an issue. I have a callous on my right middle finger from writing, and I haven’t written with a stylus much at all in two decades.

I stopped writing BECAUSE it was painful. Word processing was my savior.

You even acknowledged the concept of being “taught poorly” and yet you still call that “user responsibility”. ???

There has been a notable loss of comfort and usability with Apple products, favoring a mindless pursuit of arbitrary thinness. That’s not a “user responsibility”. The user responsibility is to maybe stop buying Apple’s product if there’s a better option, but if that means going back to Windows, I don’t consider there to BE a choice for me.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 59 of 61
    Lousy keyboards aside: Hunching over laptops is a big problem; one that better keyboards won’t fix.

If we have to add a separate keyboard & pointing device, place our laptops on lap boards (to protect us from burns or overheating), have to buy desk risers for proper height and/or buy an extra display...

...maybe laptops really aren’t the end-all be-all personal computing device.

We need more choices in desktop computers with detached displays... displays that don’t cost $5000... which we are constantly being told aren’t for us anyway. Okay then, which first-party, made-for-Mac displays should we be buying?

Asking you, Apple...

Laptops are convenient for owning only one computer but they’re sure not convenient for ergonomics.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 60 of 61
    Well, this is Apple for you.  Some times the design makes sense, but sometimes the design were stubborn and not functional.

Here are some of the examples:

• No arrow keys: Apple thought most people will just use the mouse.
    • No function keys: Only PC needs function keys.
    • No Esc key:  Again, it was a PC thing
    • No Control keys: Apple already include the "command" and "option" keys
    Also I wanted to add that unlike phones, people generally go out of their way to pick the best keyboard (and mouse) for work.

The arrow keys thing was 35 years ago.  And 90%+ of users don't need (or ever use) function keys or the Esc key or the Ctrl key.  Apple is the only major PC maker willing to jettison legacy junk that the vast majority of people will never miss.  But they are also willing to change course if they clearly misjudge the market.
    But almost every user can use an Escape key as a quick “cancel” or “get me out of here” key (when mapped to the non-destructive option on a dialog as it ought to be). It is WAY faster than using a mouse. A full row of function keys is a thing I’m flexible on. The escape key I am NOT flexible on.

Also, poor arrow keys aren’t a “35-years-ago” issue. Apple may have finally given them to us after resisting the “PCness” of them, but they’ve continued to try to punish us for them on smaller keyboards by designing them with bad ergonomics... like EVERY SINGLE MOUSE Apple have ever made (and none were worse than the puck).

Hell, the first aluminum trackpad they offered has the stupidest click mechanism design ever (like their stupid “the mouse body is the button design of the Magic Mouse series) and it’s constantly catching on itself when I click and drag.

Apple continue to maintain some of the most bizarre behavior patterns, despite clear evidence that they’re doing it wrong.