Galaxy Z Flip is Samsung's second try at foldable smartphones

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2020
Samsung has officially unveiled the Galaxy Z Flip, the South Korean giant's second attempt at producing a foldable smartphone, with the clamshell device hoping to do better than last year's Galaxy Fold failure.

Launched a few days after making a surprise appearance at the Oscars, the Galaxy Z Flip uses the same core idea as the Galaxy Fold, namely the use of a large screen that folds in half. While the Fold opted for a lengthways version that brought it to the same width of a regular smartphone when closed, the Galaxy Z Flip does so width-ways, making the device more square in its enclosed form.

Using a "first-of-its-kind" foldable glass display equipped with proprietary "Ultra Thin Glass," the Z Flip has a 6.7-inch 2,636-by-1,080-pixel screen, giving it a pixel density of 425ppi and a screen ratio of 21.9:9.

The Hideaway Hinge uses a dual CAM mechanism to keep each fold stable and smooth, as well as allowing the hinge to stay open at a wide variety of angles. Using the camera in the top of the display, this also allows the phone to stand up without using a separate stand or prop, making it useful for those wanting group self portraits.

Samsung has also dealt with an issue of debris found in the Fold hinge, with the new version including nylon fibers to repel dust and dirt.

Working with Google, Samsung has introduced what it calls "Flex Mode," a custom UI taking advantage of the display, effectively splitting it into two 4-inch screens and allowing it to be used for multitasking. A Multi-Active Window system can be used to drag and drop apps where required on the device.

A 7-nanometer octa-core processor powers the Galaxy Z Flip, clocked at 2.95GHz at its fastest, supported by 8GB of memory and 256GB of internal storage. The battery has a capacity of 3,300mAh, which supports corded and wireless fast charging, and Samsung's Wireless PowerShare feature.

The front camera is a 10-megapixel selfie camera, while on the back is a dual-camera setup. The main 12-megapixel wide-angle camera includes OIS, an 8-times digital zoom, HDR10+ recording, and dual-pixel AF, and is accompanied by a 12-megapixel ultra-wide camera.

While it doesn't include 5G support, it does allow up to 1Gbps downloads over LTE. Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5.0, NFC, and GPS support are also included. Biometric security is offered via face recognition and a fingerprint sensor.

Shipping in Mirror Purple and Mirror Black options, Samsung will start selling the Galaxy Z Flip in select markets, including the United States and Korea on February 14, followed by a Mirror Gold option. It will be priced at $1,380.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    solution in search of a problem

edit - sorry, I see that speed1050 beat me to it in the other thread.
    edited February 2020 williamlondonhypoluxabroylesj67dewmejbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 36
    Back to the “Whatever sticks!” Product Development strategy!

Oh wait...
    hypoluxaravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 36
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    I’m waiting for Apple’s version, thank you.
    pulseimageswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 36
    bluefire1 said:
    if they do it...and that's a big if.
    edited February 2020 jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 36
    cornchip said:
    YES! lol
    cornchipjbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 36
    How much will it cost?
    pulseimageswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 36
    Flip or flop? I know which one I'm betting on.
    cornchipmwhiteStrangeDaysjbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 36
    cornchip said:

Yeah.  My thoughts exactly.

Falls into the "just because you can doesn't mean you should" camp.

Are people really dying for a bendable phone?  I really don't get it.  If they are, why?
    edited February 2020 cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 36
    kent909 said:
    How much will it cost?
    $1380.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    hypoluxa said:
    bluefire1 said:
    if they do it...and that's a big if.
    I’m sure that somewhere deep in the confines of Apple’s skunkworks labs, they are toying with some kind of foldable, or extended screen ideas, and they should be.  
    prismaticsmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 36
    Wow, I followed the link at the end of the article to observe that Samsung copied the Apple website design completely.  It really must be easy to work there.
    StrangeDayscornchippscooter63Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 36
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    All these years with everybody making phones thinner and thinner and now all of that is thrown out of the window making foldable phones that will all be fat when folded.

And who is going to pay that kind of money to have a crease on their screen?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 36
    Starting at $1,400?...Nah, I’m good. I’d much rather have an iPhone 11 Pro Max. Samsung has a track record for poor quality with initial releases. I’m not paying that much to be a Guinea pig. It’s cool companies are exploring options and new form factors but there’s nothing about this phone that would convince me to buy it, especially at this price, over an iPhone. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 36
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    supadav03 said:
    Starting at $1,400?...Nah, I’m good. I’d much rather have an iPhone 11 Pro Max. Samsung has a track record for poor quality with initial releases. I’m not paying that much to be a Guinea pig. It’s cool companies are exploring options and new form factors but there’s nothing about this phone that would convince me to buy it, especially at this price, over an iPhone. 
    I wouldn't want one even if I could get it for 90% off.

I mean, I might buy one if I got it for 90% off and turn around and immediately sell it to some gullible fool for a profit, but I certainly wouldn't be interested in keeping it for myself, even if I got one for free.

I will never use any Android phone, ever.
    edited February 2020 cornchippscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 36
    Wow, I followed the link at the end of the article to observe that Samsung copied the Apple website design completely.  It really must be easy to work there.

Oh Samesung!
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 36

Oh for F's sake! I just now looked at it. Damn, they really do have no shame.
    edited February 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 36
    jingojingo Posts: 117member
    Apple should come out and say “We really don’t see the point of a product like this, but IF it is a success we will, of course, release one. We don’t expect that to happen, though”.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 36
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Looks cool in my opinion. Much better than the phone-becomes-a-tablet concept of the first version. Can’t get a sense of how thick it is when folded, which could be a deal breaker if you remove price from the equation. 
    edited February 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 36
    The only pluses I see is 1) you wouldn't need to add an ugly case, or screen protector, as the screen is naturally protected when folded, although some may like external scratch protection. Also, 2) it stands up by itself. Both of these pluses are quite tiny, at least for me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 36
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    kent909 said:
    How much will it cost?

Starting at $1,480.00