Elon Musk uses iPhone email bug to illustrate the importance of software innovation

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    sflocal said:
    I admire what Musk does.  He's a rockstar in my book... but whatever Musk.  Maybe it's "fresh blood" engineers that are breaking the software?  Maybe it's not iOS that was buggy, but maybe identified a problem with Musk's email system?  Lot's of assumptions being made here.

Fresh blood is necessary in every industry.  Experience, especially of those that have been in the industry a while is even more preferred as far as I'm concerned. 

He's an overrated ass hat.
    Many people would say the exact same thing of Steve Jobs.  What's your point?

He made the electric car cool, and jumpstarted the U.S. rocket program.  Sure, he's as ass, but people of his caliber usually have to be.
    beowulfschmidtjmc54Dogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 78
    This made me almost ROFL
    He claims that software decays over time

Lovely but so wrong. It is not the software that decays, it is the environment around the system that changes.
    Changes to external interfaces, be those electronic or human are the cause of many failures to software that has been working perfectly for years and years.
    A few months ago, I got a call from an old customer who said that a bit of software that I'd written for them had stopped working.
    My software was working fine but one of the external systems that it connected to had updated their protocol from V2 to V4. Had the external system vendor told my old customer about the change? Like **** they had.

It is easy for Elon to talk about software reliability but one update to my Model S in late 2018 was a total POS. Get your own house in order first Elon. Stop adding games and easter eggs to your computers on wheels. Just get rid of the bugs in your core systems first.
    I'm not like many Tesla Fanbois who want full self driving so that they can eat, sleep etc on their commute. I won't use it.
    Anyway this is rather moot as the lease to the 'S' is up in April and I'm not going to get another Tesla.
    tmayStrangeDaysFileMakerFellercgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 78
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    sflocal said:
    I admire what Musk does.  He's a rockstar in my book... but whatever Musk.  Maybe it's "fresh blood" engineers that are breaking the software?  Maybe it's not iOS that was buggy, but maybe identified a problem with Musk's email system?  Lot's of assumptions being made here.

Fresh blood is necessary in every industry.  Experience, especially of those that have been in the industry a while is even more preferred as far as I'm concerned. 
    It probably was fresh blood engineers. iOS was rock solid for years. 
    cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 78
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,647member
    New releases should never break old features.   That’s ensured through thorough software testing. Musk is right, but he’s just the pot calling the kettle black. 

Tesla software is buggy as heck.  “Just reboot the car” should never be considered a fix.  It’s a work-around.  
    tmaymuthuk_vanalingamcgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 78
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    Fresh talents have no time to learn from experience and thus easily make the same mistakes already fixed years ago. Thus, Elon Musk is wrong, again.
    cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 78
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    sflocal said:

Then that is a new definition of overrated.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 78
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Musk knows software. That’s for sure.
    Software innovation and quality comes from very smart individuals, not from quality control ‘clamp down’ development methods. 
  • Reply 28 of 78
    cgWerks said:
    I actually think it might be too much 'fresh blood' in that they've probably had to hire a bunch of new people who haven't learned how Apple used to operate… 
    Or even how the software they’re replacing is supposed to work. My (extremely biased) opinion is less that “Apple is uniquely bad for releasing buggy software,” than that its relative decline has been greatest.
    cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 78
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Can't wait till that bag of hot air is living on Mars. Love how he tries to dramatize his point by saying some currently used software was written by people who are "retired or dead".  So all you retired or dead software creators owe Mr Musk an apology. 
    edited March 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 78
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    dewme said:
    . Or maybe buy a bunch of software and people through an acquisition.        
    Just like Apple acquired Next. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 78
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,373member
    This made me almost ROFL
    He claims that software decays over time

Lovely but so wrong. It is not the software that decays, it is the environment around the system that changes.
    Changes to external interfaces, be those electronic or human are the cause of many failures to software that has been working perfectly for years and years.
    A few months ago, I got a call from an old customer who said that a bit of software that I'd written for them had stopped working.
    My software was working fine but one of the external systems that it connected to had updated their protocol from V2 to V4. Had the external system vendor told my old customer about the change? Like **** they had.

It is easy for Elon to talk about software reliability but one update to my Model S in late 2018 was a total POS. Get your own house in order first Elon. Stop adding games and easter eggs to your computers on wheels. Just get rid of the bugs in your core systems first.
    I'm not like many Tesla Fanbois who want full self driving so that they can eat, sleep etc on their commute. I won't use it.
    Anyway this is rather moot as the lease to the 'S' is up in April and I'm not going to get another Tesla.
    It’s almost as funny as “By recruiting new talent, the tech industry might be able to solve software-related issues before general release. They also may be able to help retire old code bases in favor of creating newer, more stable ones.“

So you have a code base with a core that’s build on C or C++ code so you start scouring the “new talent” market and find that nobody coming out of college, tech schools, or self taught has any idea about how to properly write reliable, unmanaged code, i.e., code where the programmer has to meticulously manage every bit of memory allocation and cleanup and keep track of raw pointers. Try unleashing a Java, C#, or Python programmer on unmanaged code and set aside a couple of years to sit back and watch the fireworks. Elon is correct in noting that you can always throw away the old code base and create a new one using modern, managed code that’s happy in current huge memory footprint environments. Then try telling your stakeholders, including existing customers and program sponsors, that your going to do this and it’s going to cost them a lot of money, including significant hardware upgrades. Anyone who trivializes the complexity of developing solid code (preferably using S.O.L.I.D techniques) has obviously never written any code.
    DogpersonFileMakerFellercgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 78
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I respect Musk probably more than any other modern leader of innovation -- maybe even Steve Jobs.

Actually the two have amazingly similar traits:
    --  Both are exceptional at understanding existing technology and adapting it and applying it to make the world and people's lives better.
    --  Both are extremely tough and demanding - not only of themselves but of others. 
    --  Both are extremely open in their criticism of what they see as second rate performance -- but it's not just criticism.  It arises from seeing stuff that can be done better and needs to be done better but is falling short of the mark.   In Steve's famous words:  "This is shit.  FIX IT!"

As for demanding not only the best but total loyalty -- not to himself -- but to the project/product (whatever it may be) they are both adamant and unbending. In fact, the employee comments about Musk and how he operates are nearly identical to those made by former Apple employees about Steve.  In fact, even Musk tends to describe himself similarly to how Steve described himself:

From an employee:
    "There’s no question that Elon is very aggressive on his timelines, but frankly, that drives us to do things better and faster ... when Elon says something, you have to pause and not immediately blurt out, ‘Well, that’s impossible,’ or, ‘There’s no way we’re going to do that. I don’t know how.’ So you zip it, and you think about it, and you find ways to get that done..."

From Musk himself:
    "There are way easier places to work, but nobody ever changed the world on 40 hours a week ... But if you love what you do, it (mostly) doesn’t feel like work"

Why Elon Musk called an all-hands meeting at 1 in the morning on a Sunday (and what it says about him)

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/06/what-elon-musks-early-morning-spacex-all-hands-meeting-says-about-him.html

If Musk says Apple can and should do better, I'll believe him.  I hope that Tim does too.

dewmeDogperson
  • Reply 33 of 78
    Apple hasn't innovated in software and hardware in years.
  • Reply 34 of 78
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    vvk1 said:
    JFC_PA said:
    Lol. His so-called “autopilot” software kills people. Glass house much?
    You are misinformed by the media. Tesla Autopilot saves far more people every day than it "kills people." The media puts a spin on it to sell news.
    Elon Musk is misinformed by the media. Email on the iPhone works perfectly for far more people than "have like been not great." The media puts a spin on it to sell news.

With that said, I'd rather worry about broken email for a few days than a broken skull from eating a crash barrier or a semi truck.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 78
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

tmay said:
    vvk1 said:
    JFC_PA said:
    You are misinformed by the media. Tesla Autopilot saves far more people every day than it "kills people." The media puts a spin on it to sell news.
    Really? Then why is Tesla's death rate per 100,000 miles higher that ICE vehicles?

https://phys.org/news/2018-05-fact-tesla-safety.html

https://medium.com/@MidwesternHedgi/teslas-driver-fatality-rate-is-more-than-triple-that-of-luxury-cars-and-likely-even-higher-433670ddde17

As per usual, Elon is blowing smoke up your ass.
    But it's that "nice kind of smoke" if you know what I mean.  ;)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 78
    sflocal said:

He is the most important entrepreneur since Edison.
    GeorgeBMacGG1Dogperson
  • Reply 37 of 78
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,344member
    I respect Musk probably more than any other modern leader of innovation -- maybe even Steve Jobs.

Actually the two have amazingly similar traits:
    --  Both are exceptional at understanding existing technology and adapting it and applying it to make the world and people's lives better.
    --  Both are extremely tough and demanding - not only of themselves but of others. 
    --  Both are extremely open in their criticism of what they see as second rate performance -- but it's not just criticism.  It arises from seeing stuff that can be done better and needs to be done better but is falling short of the mark.   In Steve's famous words:  "This is shit.  FIX IT!"

As for demanding not only the best but total loyalty -- not to himself -- but to the project/product (whatever it may be) they are both adamant and unbending. In fact, the employee comments about Musk and how he operates are nearly identical to those made by former Apple employees about Steve.  In fact, even Musk tends to describe himself similarly to how Steve described himself:

From an employee:
    "There’s no question that Elon is very aggressive on his timelines, but frankly, that drives us to do things better and faster ... when Elon says something, you have to pause and not immediately blurt out, ‘Well, that’s impossible,’ or, ‘There’s no way we’re going to do that. I don’t know how.’ So you zip it, and you think about it, and you find ways to get that done..."

From Musk himself:
    "There are way easier places to work, but nobody ever changed the world on 40 hours a week ... But if you love what you do, it (mostly) doesn’t feel like work"

Why Elon Musk called an all-hands meeting at 1 in the morning on a Sunday (and what it says about him)

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/06/what-elon-musks-early-morning-spacex-all-hands-meeting-says-about-him.html

If Musk says Apple can and should do better, I'll believe him.  I hope that Tim does too.

Elon might want to get his own house in order.

The Solar City business that he bought from his cousin Kimble is a huge liability, SpaceX doesn't generate profits, and Tesla doesn't generate profits and has a huge influx of competitors, almost all of whom build better quality vehicles. Their is also enough deaths linked to autopilot for Tesla to have some very high liabilities.

Elon's ego is his downfall, but all the techies love him because of his stock pumps.

https://spacenews.com/spacex-presses-on-with-legal-fight-against-u-s-air-force-over-rocket-contracts/

"SpaceX in pointed language explains why it believes the Air Force made an unlawful and unreasonable call to deny the company LSA funds. According to the complaint, the Air Force made its decision on grounds that the company’s LSA proposal sought government investment in the next-generation Starship rocket and the Air Force considered Starship “too risky for an LSA award.”

Starship development has been problematic, so the Air Force was correct to consider the Starship "too risky". Let investors fund Starships.

https://www.engadget.com/2020/03/02/spacex-starship-sn1-prototype-implodes/

Then, of course, there is the CyberTruck. Good luck Elon on finding another State to give you incentives after fucking over New York.

This is Nevada's experience;

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/investigations/2019/11/12/tesla-gigafactory-brings-nevada-jobs-and-housing-woes-worker-injuries-strained-ems/2452396001/

edited March 2020 razorpitcgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 78
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,298member
    Some people are so emotionally invested in Apple that any criticism is met with flamethrowers. But I think it's great to have some high-profile attention paid to software QA. 

It's GOOD that Musk uses Apple products. It's GOOD when prominent users push for higher quality. 
    Dogperson
  • Reply 39 of 78
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Musk runs on the techical edge -- and obviously Wall Street disagrees with your assessment since Tesla recently passed GM & Ford in valuations.  And no major auto maker is able to make anything even in the same technical league as a Tesla.  In fact, Musk openly welcomes their coming competition.  To parrot Steve's famous Wall Street Journal ad:   "Welcome GM!   Seriously!"

And, wasn't that the same military who denied AWS by illegally granting a contract to Microsoft (since blocked by a judge)?  But, even if it wasn't the case, assuming that what they said was accurate, as I said, Musk is running on the edge of technology and they maybe wanted something a little less state of the art and more tried and proven.   I don't see them buying any electric cars or trucks anytime soon either. That's ok.

For building the CyberTruck:   I doubt he will have any trouble finding a place to build it.   If the U.S. f's him over he'll just go elsewhere.  He has plants in China and Europe.

But that's all simply business nonsense and of only passing importance. 
    Steve had little patience with it either.  Like Musk, he was focused on creating products that made the world and people's live better.

But I find it strange that you, a professional China hater, would be trash talking Musk.  Musk is probably our best competition against their technological advances  -- after all:  he not only designed and built a better car than they can produce, he even went over there and showed them how build it themselves -- something unheard of for the past 50 years or so.

edited March 2020
  • Reply 40 of 78
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    vvk1 said:
    JFC_PA said:
    That wasn't the question. The point made was Musk's software is directly tied to loss of human life. iOS isn't. So it remains curious that he cited some email issue with iOS rather than his own company's challenges.
    edited March 2020 mdriftmeyerGeorgeBMac