Apple's Siri can help triage users who ask about new coronavirus

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2020
Apple this weekend updated its Siri voice assistant with information and assets designed to triage users who believe they are suffering from COVID-19.

Siri COVID-19
Siri's response to COVID-19 queries.

With the new capability, built using information provided by the U.S. Public Health Service and the Centers for Disease Control, Siri guides users through a set of questions designed in part to screen for the new coronavirus. Depending on user responses, the process branches to provide additional information about the disease and, if necessary, contact emergency services or a health provider.

The feature is triggered by queries like "Hey Siri, do I have the coronavirus?" and "Hey Siri, I think I have COVID-19."

Siri first asks if users are exhibiting symptoms including fever, dry cough, or shortness of breath. A positive answer leads to a follow-up question regarding severity which, depending on the response, results in an option to automatically call 911. Those without symptoms are asked if they have been exposed to someone who tested positive for COVID-19.

Users who answer "yes" to certain questions, specifically those referencing COVID-19 symptoms, are urged to isolate and closely monitor the situation, or contact a medical provider if the condition worsens, are age 65 or over, or have a serious medical condition.

If the situation is not dire, Siri directs users to the CDC's COVID-19 webpage or the App Store, the latter of which currently features a PSA on social distancing from the White House Coronavirus Task Force. The same PSA is in rotation on the Apple.com homepage and in the "Browse" section of Apple Music.

Siri's COVID-19 protocol is currently restricted to the U.S., likely because the feature's underlying information was derived from American health authorities. Whether Apple is working on similar solutions for other regions is unknown.

Testing the feature in the United Kingdom prompts users to find more details from the UK government's website, rather than undergoing a symptoms check.

CNBC reported on the new Siri capability on Saturday.

In addition to user-facing resources, Apple is assisting the general public through monetary donations and the contribution of face masks in the U.S. and abroad.

Keep up with all the Apple news with your iPhone, iPad, or Mac. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider Daily," -- or bookmark this link -- and you'll get a fast update direct from the AppleInsider team.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    That was pretty useless. “Do you have fever/dry cough/shortness of breath?” Yes (I have just a dry cough) “Is your condition life-threatening?” No “Stay home”. Gee thanks, I’m doing that anyway. 
  • Reply 2 of 11
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    martinp13 said:
    That was pretty useless. “Do you have fever/dry cough/shortness of breath?” Yes (I have just a dry cough) “Is your condition life-threatening?” No “Stay home”. Gee thanks, I’m doing that anyway. 

Did you expect her to cure you? I'm not sure what you were looking for when you only have a dry cough.

Siri was a lot more detailed than "stay home".

napoleon_phoneapartFLMusicStrangeDays
  • Reply 3 of 11
    But everyone says Siri is stupid compared to all the other voice assistants.  Are they sure Siri is up to this life and death task?  Supposedly, everyone's go-to voice assistant is Alexa who knows practically everything.
    Beats
  • Reply 4 of 11
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    But everyone says Siri is stupid compared to all the other voice assistants.  Are they sure Siri is up to this life and death task?  Supposedly, everyone's go-to voice assistant is Alexa who knows practically everything.
    Including your name, ssn, address, bank accnt, blood type, marital status....i mean everything 
    mwhiteBeatsajlMorkStrangeDays
  • Reply 5 of 11
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    Siri help me with... "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that"  
  • Reply 6 of 11
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Hopefully Siri+Apple Watch health is coming. Apple is getting deep into the medical field after all.
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 7 of 11
    MorkMork Posts: 22member
    Maybe the next Watch will have a body temperature sensor, along with pulse and oxy levels, sweat amount and even if your wrist hair is raised, a camera to check iris and tongue, then it can haptically tap your wrist and advise you are sick.....
  • Reply 8 of 11
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Mork said:
    Maybe the next Watch will have a body temperature sensor, along with pulse and oxy levels, sweat amount and even if your wrist hair is raised, a camera to check iris and tongue, then it can haptically tap your wrist and advise you are sick.....

With this CoronaVirus Pandemic Apple seems to be AWOL. Amazon is becoming more and more beloved by consumers as the supplier of choice. Google is helping America by developing the testing website touted by the President. And Microsoft is helping corporations move to the Cloud so that they can continue to operate and keep employees working. Disney and Netflix with streaming.

Apple has come out with new "finally" products (iPadPro with trackpad support, MacBook Air with Magic Keyboard) that will probably drop like a dud. I would not be surprised if Apple's sales are drastically down for the whole next year just due to the Economic fallout from the health care crises. It would be great if the watch could monitor Flu/CoronaVirus symptoms as the world may still be dealing with this next year and in future years.
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 9 of 11
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    k2kw said:
    With this CoronaVirus Pandemic Apple seems to be AWOL. Amazon is becoming more and more beloved by consumers as the supplier of choice. Google is helping America by developing the testing website touted by the President. And Microsoft is helping corporations move to the Cloud so that they can continue to operate and keep employees working. Disney and Netflix with streaming.

Ridiculous comments.

You're impressed that Google is creating a website?!
    Microsoft's cloud service is nothing new. In fact, it's a huge part of their existing business.

StrangeDays
  • Reply 10 of 11
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    k2kw said:
    Mork said:

Apple has come out with new "finally" products (iPadPro with trackpad support, MacBook Air with Magic Keyboard) that will probably drop like a dud. I would not be surprised if Apple's sales are drastically down for the whole next year just due to the Economic fallout from the health care crises. It would be great if the watch could monitor Flu/CoronaVirus symptoms as the world may still be dealing with this next year and in future years.
    Says you. Google’s website doesn’t sound like a big deal — a location directory of testing locations, which is what the govt should have published on Day 1, had they not denied it was a pandemic until it was too late. What Microsoft initiative are you referring to, anything specific, or just “they have the cloud!” Disney and Netflix? Now you’re really grasping at straws. 

Meanwhile, Apple donated 2 million N95 masks to medical professionals in desperate need of them due to the failure of the govt to replenish the stockpiles from the former administration, who actually believed their experts when warned about being due for a pandemic. 

iPad has not, is not, and will not be a dud. It’s the best tablet and the best selling tablet. 
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Pretty ridiculous like Siri can help. I've Siri permanently turned off on my iPhone