Everything known about Apple's AirTags

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    macseeker said:
    They would be great for baggage and suitcases.  Keep the airlines honest.
    ROFL.
    All it would tell you that you have just landed in Shanghai and your bags have gone to Sao Paulo. Any thieves in baggage handling would look for any tags like this and remove them in a flash. They'd probably attach them to someone else's bags that are going to a different destination just because they could.
    They are also an indicator that the owner has money and that there is likely to be something inside worth stealing.
    Disclaimer. I spent two summers while a student working at an airport and have seen this sort of thing at firsthand. Labels, such as ones with Hotel names or Cruise ships on are also a dead giveaway.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 34
    sjworldsjworld Posts: 94member
    Air Tag will be great in my cars when I have to park at the airports giant size parking lots and in city parking ramps.  If Air Tags are around $200 each, will buy 5 of them.  Save me alot of frustration.
    Apple Maps has an excellent feature called “Show Parked Location”. You should definitely use it, old man, rather than being what’s wrong with consumers nowadays and be willing to spend $200 on some dumbass tracking tags.
    ITGUYINSDchemengin1
  • Reply 23 of 34
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 516member
    So this crowd-sourced location of left-behind AirTags...does this only work with devices that have the UWB capability, or any iPhone / device with bluetooth?
  • Reply 24 of 34
    J-J-J-J- Posts: 5member
    FINALLY I will be able to attach one to my cat and track him around the neighborhood.
    neilmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 34
    doggonedoggone Posts: 381member
    sjworld said:
    Air Tag will be great in my cars when I have to park at the airports giant size parking lots and in city parking ramps.  If Air Tags are around $200 each, will buy 5 of them.  Save me alot of frustration.
    Apple Maps has an excellent feature called “Show Parked Location”. You should definitely use it, old man, rather than being what’s wrong with consumers nowadays and be willing to spend $200 on some dumbass tracking tags.
    This rarely has worked for me.  So I just looked at the instructions that Apple provide (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207227).  My phone is set up properly and I do have bluetooth connectivity with the car.
    The critical factor is that you have to search Maps using the term "Parked Car".  This does not come up automatically when you open up maps.  There are favorites lie home and work set up (probably in contacts) but no automatic listing for Parked Car.  Also you cannot add that as a favorite.  

Wouldn't it make sense to the Parked Car result automatically pop up on the splash screen for the Map app? Seems a no-brainer to me and would help people use this very useful feature without any issue.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    doggone said:
    sjworld said:
    Wouldn't it make sense to the Parked Car result automatically pop up on the splash screen for the Map app? Seems a no-brainer to me and would help people use this very useful feature without any issue.
    That’s how it works for me. After my iPhone disconnects from Bluetooth in my car I get a lock screen notification saying something along the lines of “Your Parked Car’s location has been noted in Maps”. 

Tapping that notification later opens Maps and shows a pin where my car is. 
    edited April 2020 Xedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 34
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    flydog said:
    bbh said:
    Are there any comments from Tile? I can't imagine this is going to be lawsuit free. 

Why would a company releasing a competing product merit a lawsuit?  Do you know something that the rest of the planet doesn’t?   Does Apple have a contract with Tile that says it's not allowed to sell competing devices? 

Illuminate us. 
    Don't be an asshole.  He raised point since Tile has made several comments about Apple's 'anti-competitive' behavior.

He didn't say anything about meriting a lawsuit. And what rock have you been under. Many companies file lawsuits without merit hoping for some sort of financial gain, usually in the form of a settlement.

As it happens, it looks like Tile realizes they don't have a court case, so they're trying something else.

Had bbh been one of those Apple haters who always want Apple sued, you'd have been on the mark. As is, you whiffed.
    chemengin1
  • Reply 28 of 34
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,024member
    Forgive my ignorance as I haven't kept up on the articles but are the AirTags like a mini iBeacon? https://developer.apple.com/ibeacon/
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 34
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    doggone said:
    sjworld said:
    This rarely has worked for me.  So I just looked at the instructions that Apple provide (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207227).  My phone is set up properly and I do have bluetooth connectivity with the car.
    The critical factor is that you have to search Maps using the term "Parked Car".  This does not come up automatically when you open up maps.  There are favorites lie home and work set up (probably in contacts) but no automatic listing for Parked Car.  Also you cannot add that as a favorite.  

It does already show up automatically at the top of suggested locations. You don’t need to search for it, that would be absurd. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 34
    em_teem_te Posts: 41member
    macseeker said:
    ROFL.
    All it would tell you that you have just landed in Shanghai and your bags have gone to Sao Paulo. Any thieves in baggage handling would look for any tags like this and remove them in a flash. They'd probably attach them to someone else's bags that are going to a different destination just because they could.
    They are also an indicator that the owner has money and that there is likely to be something inside worth stealing.
    Disclaimer. I spent two summers while a student working at an airport and have seen this sort of thing at firsthand. Labels, such as ones with Hotel names or Cruise ships on are also a dead giveaway.

Out of curiosity, do those TSA approved luggage locks work to keep out the thefts?
  • Reply 31 of 34
    XedXed Posts: 2,575member
    macseeker said:
    ROFL.
    Why would thieves even know they are there? It's not like you'd place them on the outside of the suitcase. You'd tuck one inside. Maybe in a sock, or inside the pocket of some folded pants.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    glynhglynh Posts: 133member
    doggone said:
    sjworld said:

It does already show up automatically at the top of suggested locations. You don’t need to search for it, that would be absurd. 
    Not in my Apple Maps it doesn’t. Couldn’t see it anywhere.

Type ‘Parked car’ into search and boom...there it is.

Otherwise it’s invisible to me...never even knew it existed.
    edited April 2020 forgot username
  • Reply 33 of 34
    I never misplace anything but my rimless glasses, which practically vanish from view and become notoriously difficult to find. Wake me when locators become small enough to fit inside unenlarged eyeglass ear pads.
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 34 of 34
    Hmm...April 1. Had to double-check that one. Legit.
    JinTech