Apple's Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro up for preorder on Amazon, supposedly ships on May 30

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2020
Apple's unreleased Magic Keyboard with Trackpad has popped up on Amazon's UK website with a shipping date of May 30, but that's likely just a placeholder as the retailer builds up its stock.

A product listing for Apple's upcoming Magic Keyboard with Trackpad.
A product listing for Apple's upcoming Magic Keyboard with Trackpad.

The new Magic Keyboard with Trackpad was announced in March alongside the 2020 iPad Pro lineup and new trackpad support in iPadOS 13.4. At the time, Apple said the accessory would launch in May.

Though Apple failed to offer a clear timeline for availability, a product listing has appeared on Amazon suggesting a release date of May 30. An identical listing on the U.S. Amazon store states only that the item has not yet been released. Like with the UK site, customers are still able to preorder the accessory.

While the product is currently available to preorder, the date offered by Amazon is likely a placeholder. Retailers sometimes set arbitrary release dates as they await a green light to sales from manufacturers. On the other hand, the Amazon listing marks the first time that a major retailer has given any sort of concrete scheduling details.

The new Magic Keyboards, designed exclusively for 11- and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models, feature a trackpad for the first time, but they also sport a unique floating hinge design and backlit keys. They're priced at $299 for the 11-inch model and $349 for the 12.9-inch model and are compatible with the 2018 iPad Pros.

Alongside the Apple-produced Magic Keyboard, Logitech in March also debuted two new keyboard accessories with trackpads for the 10.2-inch iPad and the 10.5-inch iPad Air. Both of those products are listed as "coming soon" on Logitech's site, though no firm timeline has been given.

In the meantime, 2020 iPad Pro users will be able to take advantage of full mouse and trackpad support as long as their devices are running iPadOS 13.4. A handful of first- and third-party apps have also been updated to support trackpads and mice.
jumper999

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    Jesus Christ Apple. $349 ?

i miss Steve Jobs 
    tyler82chemengin1davgreg
  • Reply 2 of 64
    commentsf said:

i miss Steve Jobs 
    Might be worth it. Wait and see (and touch it first to see before making any comments) if the price is justifiable. From the spec and function, I reckon it is.
    jony0uraharaGeorgeBMacStrangeDaysrundhvidwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 64
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    commentsf said:

i miss Steve Jobs 
    Get a grip. Steve Jobs? I bought an Apple ][+ in 1982 for the then outrageous sum of $1,295.00 and it only had 48K of memory. When the Disk II floppy drive came out it was $695.00 for 140K of storage. The total for both was close to $2K with tax. I could have bought a RadioShack TRS80 for less than half that. Apple has always charged premium prices for their gear and regardless of cheaper options they have done quite well. Those who chronically bitch about Apple’s prices need to either leave the platform or shut their pie holes. It ain’t gonna change.
    dewmemwhiteuraharaGeorgeBMacrazorpitSnickersMagooel_capitan_morganStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 64
    sjworldsjworld Posts: 94member
    It's magical alright. It has the ability to siphon money off of bank accounts.
    freethinkingtyler82razorpitSnickersMagoochemengin1
  • Reply 5 of 64
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    If anybody thinks that it's priced too high or they can't afford it or they don't think it's worth it or whatever other reason they might have, then don't buy it. Go buy a third party keyboard or buy nothing at all. Nobody really cares what you buy or don't buy.

Were these people just born yesterday?

Apple has never been known for bottom of the barrel pricing. That applies to their entire existence, which goes back many decades.

Apple doesn't make junk. If you believe that you can get a better product from somebody else for less, then go right ahead, nobody's stopping you.

dewmemwhiteuraharaStrangeDaysrundhvidSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 64
    pff, I’m waiting for the magic key board PRO.

the best thing about this forum is listening to the fan boys defend apples insane pricing, or essentially anything apple no matter how egrigious. 

entropysrazorpitSnickersMagoochemengin1davgreg
  • Reply 7 of 64

the best thing about this forum is listening to the fan boys defend apples insane pricing, or essentially anything apple no matter how egrigious. 
    I defend everybody's pricing.

It's called capitalism and the free market and freedom. Companies are free to price their products at whatever price point they wish, and consumers are free to either purchase said products or not.

If Ferrari wants to release a new car tomorrow and price it at 6 million dollars, I don't have any problem with that at all.

If Samsung wants to release a new phone tomorrow and price it at $10,000 dollars, I'm totally fine with that.

The same applies to Apple. Apple can price their stuff at whatever price point they please and that they feel is appropriate and I am free to make a decision regarding if I want to purchase said product or not.

Some people sound like a bunch of commies and entitled ignoramuses. 

edited April 2020 trashman69dewmemwhite80s_Apple_Guylkruppuraharael_capitan_morganrundhvidSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 64
    The price of that thing is nuts, and I plan to buy it the second it’s available. 
    fastasleeprazorpitSnickersMagoodedgeckoSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 64
    firelockfirelock Posts: 238member
    My wallet is ready. I’m buying the second it becomes available.
    dedgeckowatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 64
    firelock said:
    My wallet is ready. I’m buying the second it becomes available.

Same with me. I have my new 2020 12.9" iPP and can't wait to get the Magic Keyboard, coming from a 2015 12.9" iPP with Smart Keyboard. I'm trying to find a solution to my problem of making the new iPP better protected when it comes to drops. When I had the iPad "3", the first one with Retina, I was using it sitting in a chair, when it slipped onto our tile floor and hit (of course!) on the corner, cracking the glass screen and buckling the aluminium. I learned my lesson there to have a good case that protects against drops that ARE going to happen. 

Have been using an STM case for my 2015 iPP that not only protects the iPad but has a nice slot for Apple Pencil storage. I like how the Pencil 2 is held on by magnets and doesn't need to be plugged in for charging, but I'll lose the Pencil sure as rain if it is not firmly and securely attached. I've had my 2015 iPP since it was first made available, and thanks to the STM case, it is still pristine. 

dedgeckowatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 64
    apple ][ said:

I defend everybody's pricing.

It's called capitalism and the free market and freedom. Companies are free to price their products at whatever price point they wish, and consumers are free to either purchase said products or not.

If Ferrari wants to release a new car tomorrow and price it at 6 million dollars, I don't have any problem with that at all.

If Samsung wants to release a new phone tomorrow and price it at $10,000 dollars, I'm totally fine with that.

The same applies to Apple. Apple can price their stuff at whatever price point they please and that they feel is appropriate and I am free to make a decision regarding if I want to purchase said product or not.

Some people sound like a bunch of commies and entitled ignoramuses. 

no shit sherlock, the fascinating thing is people buying the stuff. I find it entertaining in the same way as watching people injure themselves doing stupid shit on youtube. which I also think everyone should be free to do with whatever dumb shit they think floats theire boat ie. shelling out $1k for a piece if alu and proclaiming how its the best 1k they have ever spent.  go for it!
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 12 of 64
    no shit sherlock, the fascinating thing is people buying the stuff. I find it entertaining in the same way as watching people injure themselves doing stupid shit on youtube. which I also think everyone should be free to do with whatever dumb shit they think floats theire boat ie. shelling out $1k for a piece if alu and proclaiming how its the best 1k they have ever spent.  go for it!
    People buying what stuff? Apple stuff?

This is an Apple forum. That's why people come here, because they are interested in Apple's products, they buy Apple stuff, they talk about Apple stuff and they like Apple stuff.

I don't think that people who buy Apple stuff are dumb, but I do think that loser trolls who visit Apple forums to call Apple users dumb for buying Apple products aren't the brightest bulbs around, considering what they choose to spend their time on.

You should start a business selling pieces of aluminum for $1,000 and see how far that gets you. Like I said previously, you seem like a real bright individual.
    mwhitejdb8167fastasleepuraharaStrangeDaysdedgeckowatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 64
    Does anyone know if this product will work with the 11” iPad Pro (2018)? I’m hoping it will.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 64
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member
    Watch your bank account magically fade away. 

hopefully the pandemic will bring Apple back down to reality. 40% unemployment = who's gonna buy this crap?
    edited April 2020 davgreg
  • Reply 15 of 64
    jt327gir said:
    Does anyone know if this product will work with the 11” iPad Pro (2018)? I’m hoping it will.
    Yes, it will.
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 64
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Who determines what is an ‘egregious’ price? You? You shouldn’t even be in this forum. You should be buying cheap Android crap and a Dell laptop. 
    apple ][fastasleepuraharaStrangeDaysSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 64
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,929member
    lkrupp said:

Who determines what is an ‘egregious’ price? You? You shouldn’t even be in this forum. You should be buying cheap Android crap and a Dell laptop. 
    Well, the fact that the keyboard costs more than a new 10.2” iPad and nearly 3x what the Logitech keyboard is what really strikes me. 
    chemengin1
  • Reply 18 of 64
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Apple is free to set any price it damn well wants. It is their right. It is part of the beauty and efficiency of the free market which in the end almost always delivers a better result than some bureaucrat or worse collusion between corporations and government fixing the price of a product.

It does mean that Apple will sell a lot less of a very high priced product than it perhaps could have. It must have done some modelling which indicates it can sell enough at this high margin to make more money overall than if they sold a few more by offering it at a lower price. It is the sum of margins that matter.

I still have a right to criticise it though. Note that every time these very cool keypads are discussed it descends into an argument about price. It will end up discrediting it despite it seeming to be an otherwise great product. 
    And I think it is far too expensive, particularly with my country’s exchange rate with the USD. No matter how cool it is, it will be an object of derision in my country with its tall poppy syndrome and owners portrayed as fools who are easily parted with their money. They are AUD$500.
    dewme
  • Reply 19 of 64
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 837member
    C'mon people! Don't you recognize a bargain when you see one? Apple will sell you a new 11" iPad Pro AND this spiffy new Magic Keyboard... all for $50 LESS than they charge for their $1000 monitor stand for the Pro Display. ;)
    davgreg
  • Reply 20 of 64
    This is one of the most interesting and exciting accessories Apple has produced. I'm really looking forward to it.
    GeorgeBMacSpamSandwichwatto_cobra