Ubisoft sues Apple over Alibaba 'Rainbow Six' game clone in App Store

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    svanstromsvanstrom Posts: 702member
    tobian said:
    crowley said:
    So?  Why shouldn't distribution come with a requirement to ensure the things you distribute are legal?  Distribuyting stolen physical goods is illegal, why not copyrighted?  Just because it might be hard doesn't mean it's wrong.
    I'm sure the AppStore developer terms & conditions covers this well enough. I just don't think Apple should be required to employ legions of reviewers, comparing thousands of titles each to each and play some authority.
    There are arguments to be made that a provider of a market can not be allowed to just claim innocence while taking their cut of the illegal sales that they make possible.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 25
    CloudTalkinCloudTalkin Posts: 916member
    tobian said:
    crowley said:
    So?  Why shouldn't distribution come with a requirement to ensure the things you distribute are legal?  Distribuyting stolen physical goods is illegal, why not copyrighted?  Just because it might be hard doesn't mean it's wrong.
    I'm sure the AppStore developer terms & conditions covers this well enough. I just don't think Apple should be required to employ legions of reviewers, comparing thousands of titles each to each and play some authority.

Compliance is reactionary not proactive so there'd be no need for legions of reviewers.  If an IP holder thinks their IP is being violated in the app store, they notify the store owner and at that point a verification process starts.  Just like this situation with Ubisoft.  The store owner only reacts to a complaint.  They aren't actively searching for IP violations.  That would be impractical and impossible.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 23 of 25
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    It is clear why they are suing the distributors 

If they win no other such content can be distributed in the future.

if they go for Alibaba they cut off one source of content until the next court case.
    svanstromrazorpit
  • Reply 24 of 25
    lkrupp said:
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Why dont you go w Alibaba
    Deep pockets theory. Sue the one’s with the most money.
    They aren't suing for damages it's just to get the game removed from the store. So your suggestion doesn't really make sense.
    edited May 2020
  • Reply 25 of 25
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Maybe Ubisoft should hire the studio to port the game to mobile for them.  :D
    edited May 2020 watto_cobra