Apple Watch 'Series 6' display may be identical to Series 5

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited June 2020
The "Apple Watch Series 6" may not be fitted with a micro LED display as part of its annual upgrade, a serial leaker claims, with Apple allegedly using the same supplier and display technology as the Series 5.

The "Apple Watch Series 6" is anticipated to be revealed this fall alongside other major launches, such as the "iPhone 12," and is expected to offer some upgrades from what is offered in the Apple Watch Series 5. According to a leaker, these modifications won't include a change to the display.

In a tweet on Sunday, leaker @L0vetodream offered the typically brief statement "the Apple Watch S6 will continue to use the display from JDI." This is in reference to the Series 5's OLED displays supplied by Japan Display Inc, a firm within Apple's supply chain that reportedly received a $936 million financial bailout in January 2020, followed by a further $200 million from a customer believed to be Apple.

in my dream the Apple Watch S6 will continue use the display from JDI

The twitter account is generally thought to be offering genuine leaks on Apple products, and has made a number of pronouncements about a variety of products, including the iPad Pro LiDAR sensor and a game controller.

If true, the tweet means that potential "Apple Watch Series 6" buyers won't be seeing a new display in the model, and it is likely to be similar in size and specification to the Series 5. Updated in 2019, the Series 5 uses an alway-on LTPO OLED Retina display, allowing for the screen to be viewable without needing a gesture or tap to turn it on.

Rumors over the years put forward the idea that Apple would employ newer display technologies in the Apple Watch, with a frontrunner being micro LED. Reports from 2018 suggested Apple was exploring commencing mass production of display panels using MicroLED, while the 2020 Apple Watch model was thought to be one of the initial devices from Apple to use the technology.

Earlier in May, reports indicated Apple is planning to invest $330 million in a factory in Taiwan for the production of mini LED and micro LED panels.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    mylovinomylovino Posts: 22member
    Mac Pro, iPhone Pro, iPad Pro, Powerbeats Pro...Watch Pro 😂
    lkrupp
  • Reply 2 of 27
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Would be nice if the already built-in pulse oximeter was enabled for countries who don't have a draconian FDA breathing down company's necks. A simple disclaimer that the readings may not be 100% accurate and should not be used to form a medical diagnosis is enough for most countries. 
    caladaniantoysandmewatto_cobraentropys
  • Reply 3 of 27
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Many Apple stores have been looted and cleared out completely 100%.

It's strange that there has been no stories about that yet.

There is usually a weekly Apple crime story, and surely this qualifies as big news.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 27
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    apple ][ said:

There is usually a weekly Apple crime story, and surely this qualifies as big news.
    Well, AI's main page has an article but comments are disabled. Can't have opposing opinions about whether the violence is understandable. One question has never been answered when Apple stores are robbed is whether the products looted (specifically iOS products) can be used by the thieves. I have never seen a for-sure answer. If not then the thieves/looters can only fence the products to chop shops  for parts, right?
    watto_cobraSpamSandwich
  • Reply 5 of 27
    lkrupp said:
    apple ][ said:

Well, AI's main page has an article but comments are disabled. Can't have opposing opinions about whether the violence is understandable. One question has never been answered when Apple stores are robbed is whether the products looted (specifically iOS products) can be used by the thieves. I have never seen a for-sure answer. If not then the thieves/looters can only fence the products to chop shops  for parts, right?
    Yes, I saw that article. It was added shortly after my comment.

I do believe that Apple stores have various added security protections for their in store items. I found this article from a while back.

A source tells us that the current special OS images on demo devices include a software ‘kill switch’ which disables them when they go out of range of the store Wi-Fi. This means that Apple no longer has to use Find My iPhone to disable them manually.

https://9to5mac.com/2016/10/17/apple-store-security-tethers-demo-devices/
    edited May 2020 toysandmewatto_cobraSpamSandwich
  • Reply 6 of 27
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Every year since 2007 I’ve upgraded my iPhone. I have the AW4. The always on display wasn’t enough to get me to upgrade to the 5, and if the 6 is not that different from the 5, then I wonder if it’s worth waiting for the 7. 
  • Reply 7 of 27
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    apple ][ said:
    lkrupp said:
    apple ][ said:

I do believe that Apple stores have various added security protections for their in store items. I found this article from a while back.

A source tells us that the current special OS images on demo devices include a software ‘kill switch’ which disables them when they go out of range of the store Wi-Fi. This means that Apple no longer has to use Find My iPhone to disable them manually.

Clever. Walk out with it, bang, it's junk. 
    steve_jobswatto_cobraSpamSandwich
  • Reply 8 of 27
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    DAalseth said:
    apple ][ said:
    lkrupp said:
    apple ][ said:

Clever. Walk out with it, bang, it's junk. 
    Doesn't stop the idiots on Twitter claiming you can "just run checkra1n on it m8" or "i can bust that lock in 5 yo". Which they can't. These idiots are so thick they have no idea that the devices will stop working as soon as they leave the store (and are trackable). Also, they're just opportunists, they don't give a shit about police brutality, they just use it as an excuse to loot places.
    watto_cobrarazorpitSpamSandwich
  • Reply 9 of 27
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    bluefire1 said:
    Every year since 2007 I’ve upgraded my iPhone. I have the AW4. The always on display wasn’t enough to get me to upgrade to the 5, and if the 6 is not that different from the 5, then I wonder if it’s worth waiting for the 7. 
    I’m still on my 3 because the 4 and 5 updates haven’t justified me updating. Interested to see what the 6 brings to the table.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    apple ][ said:

It must be an Antifa conspiracy....   /s
  • Reply 11 of 27
    lkrupp said:
    apple ][ said:

In an article I read this morning (I forget which paper) it said that most Apple demo products are setup to only function inside the store and can only be made to work outside the store "with great difficulty" and so would be of little value to thieves.   It was a reputable source so the information is probably accurate, but it leaves a lot of wiggle room such as which products and what is disabled...
  • Reply 12 of 27
    bluefire1 said:

The processor is typically upgraded annually and that triggers upgrades to the display of the new watches.   Plus, there have been a number of rumors of upcoming upgrades to the sensors.   Keep your wallet handy.
  • Reply 13 of 27

No consipracy is needed. They are a major force behind the riots and the thugs will get what's coming to them soon enough as they are now officially terrorists.
    razorpitSpamSandwich
  • Reply 14 of 27
    apple ][ said:

No consipracy is needed. They are a major force behind the riots and the thugs will get what's coming to them soon enough as they are now officially terrorists.

No, the criminals hiding behind badges are the "major force behind the riots".   They're just defending themselves, their families and their kids from the thugs.

It's hard to see how some can equate breaking a window to murdering someones father or their child.  But, right wing propaganda is very persuasive to the poorly informed.
    edited June 2020 StrangeDays
  • Reply 15 of 27
    apple ][ said:

No, the criminals hiding behind badges are the "major force behind the riots".   They're just defending themselves, their families and their kids from the thugs.

It's hard to see how some can equate breaking a window to murdering someones father or their child.  But, right wing propaganda is very persuasive to the poorly informed.
    Ok George, enough fake news. We all know what's going on, and if you don't then please research the staging that is happening at all of these riots. Then research the protestors pleas to stop the violence. It's happening in your own backyard. Our city had nothing to do with what that "police officer" did to that man in Minneapolis and yet here we are, defacing statues of a man who has done more for this city and minorities than the last 10 or so mayors combined.

Can we please talk about AppleWatch 6 now?
  • Reply 16 of 27
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    apple ][ said:

Prove it. We’ll wait. 

Meanwhile, Mn officials said white supremacists and other alt right fringe groups are involved and using the protests as cover:

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/george-floyd-protests-06-01-20/h_4af24a46dcbf42016c18fb5d89aafc51

And hate to burst your bootlicker fantasies, but trump cannot and will not be able to label an anti-fascist ideology as terrorism. We have a thing called the constitution which protects our freedom of speech and ideas, and domestic political positions cannot be labeled terrorism. trump is just too stupid to understand this, of course. 
    edited June 2020 fastasleepGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 17 of 27
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

razorpit said:
    apple ][ said:

Ok George, enough fake news. We all know what's going on, and if you don't then please research the staging that is happening at all of these riots. Then research the protestors pleas to stop the violence. It's happening in your own backyard. Our city had nothing to do with what that "police officer" did to that man in Minneapolis and yet here we are, defacing statues of a man who has done more for this city and minorities than the last 10 or so mayors combined.

It’s not fake news, the unrest and protests aren’t about one guy killed in one city. It’s about decades of discrimination, racism, police brutality, and abuse of power. Thugs with guns (and the bootlickers who admire them) are a problem all over the country. 

Verge just did a piece of how the police are using brutality to respond to protests against police brutality, and now with smartphones we can catch them in the act. These people are disgusting human beings:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/31/21276044/police-violence-protest-george-floyd
    edited June 2020 fastasleepGeorgeBMacelijahg
  • Reply 18 of 27

razorpit said:
    apple ][ said:

It’s not fake news, the unrest and protests aren’t about one guy killed in one city. It’s about decades of discrimination, racism, police brutality, and abuse of power. Thugs with guns (and the bootlickers who admire them) are a problem all over the country. 

Verge just did a piece of how the police are using brutality to respond to protests against police brutality, and now with smartphones we can catch them in the act. These people are disgusting human beings:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/31/21276044/police-violence-protest-george-floyd
    You and George are two peas in a pod, you have nothing to offer but misinformation and insults. All of these riots are in blue cities. All done by Antifa who sat on their asses while true fascist governors micromanaged everyone’s lives for months. Your right-wing this, and police brutality that is a joke. This is all the left taking advantage of a bad situation. People want to address it. People want to get the bad cops out. None of this is helping and you know it.

Now, can we please talk about AppleWatch 6?
  • Reply 19 of 27
    razorpit said:
    apple ][ said:

Obviously, if you think that this has only to do with the single action of a single cop, then you have no friggin idea what is going on.
    Black people are under assault and fear for their lives (and they have been for years) at every interaction with a cop -- and its getting worse, not better.   They have had enough.

You whine about the response to that violence while being blind to the legalized, systemic racism in our country that is costing these people their lives, their dignity and their freedom.   Even other countries have had protests in support of their protest.

And, yes, I would be happy to talk about Apple Watch 6 -- except the right wing crazies keep injecting their politics into the discussion -- so I call bull to the bull.
    And, your plea to "Talk about AppleWatch6" is the same:   Some right wing nut did something that right wing nuts like to do -- so you condemn the response instead of the trigger.   That is not how it works. 
  • Reply 20 of 27
    razorpit said:

razorpit said:
    apple ][ said:

You and George are two peas in a pod, you have nothing to offer but misinformation and insults. All of these riots are in blue cities. All done by Antifa who sat on their asses while true fascist governors micromanaged everyone’s lives for months. Your right-wing this, and police brutality that is a joke. This is all the left taking advantage of a bad situation. People want to address it. People want to get the bad cops out. None of this is helping and you know it.

Now, can we please talk about AppleWatch 6?
    LOL....  You only know what your conservative propaganda outlets spew to you -- and you call US "uninformed"?    That's hilarious!

And, if you actually wanted "to get the bad cops out" then why did you Trumpers smear Black Lives Matter and blackball Kaepernek?   Both tried to address the situation respectfully and peacefully.   We all saw how much good that did to "get the bad cops out":   Nothing.   Nada.   Zip.   Zero.   In fact, the Trumpers attacked them too!

And, what is even more hilarious is that you Trumpers, while professing to protect and spread "freedom and democracy", are so afraid of and angry at a group who opposes what your leader is trying to impose on our great nation:   fascism.
    Added:  and along with the oppression of black skinned human beings by racists, the thugs are apparently targeting those who are reporting on the response to their oppression.  But, that should be expected.  Thugs can only do their dirty work in secrete -- the light of truth is what they fear.    From the BBC we have:

George Floyd: 'Unacceptable' [POLICE] attacks on reporters at protests

edited June 2020