iMac with 'iPad Pro design language' plus T2 chip could debut at WWDC

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2020
An updated iMac with the first redesign in years, plus upgraded internals could debut at Apple's WWDC 2020 event in June.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

The last iMac spec boost came in March 2019, but the design itself hasn't been updated in years. According to leaker Sonny Dickson, that could change in 2020.

A 2020 iMac refresh, to be announced at WWDC, is predicted to get "iPad Pro design language, with Pro Display like bezels," Sonny Dickson said. Dickson claims that it will utilize the T2 chip for security plus video codec assistance, and an AMD Navi GPU.

The rumor predicts the demise of the Fusion Drive as well. This would presumably be replaced in favor of flash media options, similar to how the Mac mini refresh of 2018 got rid of internal spinning hard drives.

New iMac incoming at WWDC. iPad Pro design language, with Pro Display like bezels. T2 chip, AMD Navi GPU, and no more fusion drive

-- Sonny Dickson (@SonnyDickson)

Although the leaker doesn't specify, in all probability the updated iMac will stick with an Intel-based processor. Reports of ARM Macs indicate that Apple will first make the switch on notebooks.

Earlier on Tuesday, a report suggested that Apple could announce its plans to transition to ARM-based chips at WWDC this year, but adds that ARM hardware won't be available until 2021. The updated iMac, by contrast, will likely be a 2020 model.

This isn't the first time we've seen rumors of an impending iMac redesign. In April, a supply chain report suggested that a lower-cost, 23-inch iMac was on the horizon. And Jon Prosser in May said an iMac was ready and could "drop at any time."

Known leaker Fudge, also known as choco_bit on Twitter, revealed the existence of an iMac redesign due at WWDC in a report submitted to AppleInsider.

Apple's WWDC 2020 conference kicks off on June 22 and will be the first to be held completely virtually.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    oberpongooberpongo Posts: 184member
    If it’s an iPad Pro Design for the Display it should be super thin and move the „computer“ to a base the size of an Mac mini. With a awesome tilt swivel arm like the Luca lamp iMac. 
    That would be cool. 
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 50
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,038member
    I want FaceID on the iMac and laptops.
    lkruppScot1caladanianjony0watto_cobrahypoluxa
  • Reply 3 of 50
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I had just about given up all hope.
    steve_jobsjony0entropyscgWerkswatto_cobratoysandme
  • Reply 4 of 50
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,078member
    I can't see Apple putting out a redesigned iMac with Intel processors if the ARM switch is real and pending. And it seems likely that it is. Spec bump maybe, redesign seems un-Apple-esque. But then...all will be revealed at WWDC. Maybe.

All in all, there seems little for me to be interested in at this year's WWDC. YYMV. I might be interested in an Apple TV with a tuner for OTA, (yes, there are other boxes) an Apple monitor (and even if they went back into this business, they would be way overpriced) the return of Airport, (not happening ever) or even hearing about the Apple Glasses (too soon.) None of the rumored stuff is interesting to me.
  • Reply 5 of 50
    thttht Posts: 5,484member
    A 22 to 32 inch iPad Pro like industrial design is the eventual end point for an AIO.  Just a fancy looking display, and thin, thin, thin. It's not going to be 0.24" thick like an iPad Pro, but 0.5" maybe?

What will be interesting is if the magnetic mounting from the Pro Display XDR makes it over, as well as a stand that can do vertical transition and portrait rotation. Depending on cost and maybe Ethernet-over-TB3 networking, thought it'll would be fine with 10G Ethernet, buyers can increase their computational power by adding another iMac.

Comet Lake and Navi are going to be hot! Maybe a 400 W power supply over the current 300 W in the iMac 5K. iMac Pro territory. Once ARM is available, 0.25" thick.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 50
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    I've been waiting 2 years for this. That's when the GPU on my old 27 inch went bizarro. I've been holding off expecting some trickle-down love from the iMac Pro to come out, an iMac Pro Lite if you will, but the sounds even better. I work mostly remotely so the local machine doesn't do the heavy lifting but it will be so great to have a real machine for the local work. I sure hope it's real this time.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 50
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,336member
    New design + Navi sounds good. 

Comet Lake is essentially a price cut, except for the 10 core model which might have a hard time fitting in the thermal constraints of an iMac (unless the new design eases those constraints). CPU price cuts are nice, though. 

I might actually buy something along these lines... my 2014 iMac is getting old. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 50
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,182member
    I want the ability to add more RAM and a second SSD down the track.
    toysandme
  • Reply 9 of 50
    jony0 said:
    I've been waiting 2 years for this. That's when the GPU on my old 27 inch went bizarro. I've been holding off expecting some trickle-down love from the iMac Pro to come out, an iMac Pro Lite if you will, but the sounds even better. I work mostly remotely so the local machine doesn't do the heavy lifting but it will be so great to have a real machine for the local work. I sure hope it's real this time.
    Exactly the same boat for me.
  • Reply 10 of 50
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    eightzero said:
    I can't see Apple putting out a redesigned iMac with Intel processors if the ARM switch is real and pending.
    You kind of have to wonder. It would make more sense for it to debut in the laptops, but I just can't believe they've waited this long to update the iMac unless is truly a substantial redesign (and even then, why no T2 or SSD update for the current design).

It was bizarre enough for the mini, Mac Pro, etc. but really bizarre for their most popular desktop.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 50
    cgWerks said:
    eightzero said:
    I can't see Apple putting out a redesigned iMac with Intel processors if the ARM switch is real and pending.
    You kind of have to wonder. It would make more sense for it to debut in the laptops, but I just can't believe they've waited this long to update the iMac unless is truly a substantial redesign (and even then, why no T2 or SSD update for the current design).

It was bizarre enough for the mini, Mac Pro, etc. but really bizarre for their most popular desktop.
    the iMac G5 was a radically different form factor and it was out not too long (less than 2 years?) before Apple switched to Intel. The first Intel iMac basically looked like the iMac G5. 

Really, I don't think it's bizarre. They should always be making the best product they can at any given point in time. There's no reason to intentionally hold a product design back. 

thtlolliverwatto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 50
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    blastdoor said:
    Really, I don't think it's bizarre. They should always be making the best product they can at any given point in time. There's no reason to intentionally hold a product design back. 
    That's what I actually mean... why has the iMac remained based on such an old design/internals for so long, compared to the entire rest of the Mac lineup?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 50
    cgWerks said:
    blastdoor said:
    That's what I actually mean... why has the iMac remained based on such an old design/internals for so long, compared to the entire rest of the Mac lineup?
    The intervals are due for an update but aren’t really too old. Comet lake is just a price cut, so the CPU isn’t really out of date (at least, not for Intel). The GPU could use an upgrade, though.

in terms of physical appearance, it has been a very compelling design for a long time. It is hard to improve on a design that good. For example, you cannot find many displays better than what is in the 27 inch iMac. 

I’ll guess that whatever the new physical design is, it required multiple technical advances in order to be feasible.
    rundhvidwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 50
    thttht Posts: 5,484member
    blastdoor said:
    cgWerks said:
    blastdoor said:
    The intervals are due for an update but aren’t really too old. Comet lake is just a price cut, so the CPU isn’t really out of date (at least, not for Intel). The GPU could use an upgrade, though.

in terms of physical appearance, it has been a very compelling design for a long time. It is hard to improve on a design that good. For example, you cannot find many displays better than what is in the 27 inch iMac. 

I’ll guess that whatever the new physical design is, it required multiple technical advances in order to be feasible.
    cgWerks' question essentially boils down why didn't the 2019 iMac update have T2 co-processors. Who knows?

They 2018 Mac mini w/T2 essentially has the same components as the 2019 iMac 4K, but it doesn't have a T2. I'll have to check, but maybe the 65 and 95 Watt processors didn't have enough PCIe lanes to support a dGPU, 2 Titan Ridge TB3 controllers, and a T2. So, for the iMac, they left the T2 off? That's probably not true. The 2019 iMac models could have been the backup plan to a planned introduction of a new iMac industrial design in 2019 that they had to push out to 2020?

The Comet Lake based, Intel 14nm, 10-core Core i9-10900K that would be the top end Intel CPU option for a Spring 2020 iMac is going to run hot. 125 W TDP with turbos (there's like 4 turbo modes?) needs 250 W of power for short bursts at least. They will need to re-engineer the entire iMac to handle both Comet Lake and AMD Navi GPUs. The easy thing would have been to design around the iMac Pro thermal system, but I think they know the iMac ID is getting stale and needs to be updated.
    watto_cobracgWerks
  • Reply 15 of 50
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Nah! Just give us 4&5K Pro Display HDR enclosures with slots for plug-in GPU, Wifi/Storage & ARM Mac on sticks.
    entropys
  • Reply 16 of 50
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,078member
    blastdoor said:
    cgWerks said:
    eightzero said:

the iMac G5 was a radically different form factor and it was out not too long (less than 2 years?) before Apple switched to Intel. The first Intel iMac basically looked like the iMac G5. 

Maybe. But then when they push the ARM chips into it, they instantly alienate the buyers of that previous product by making their recent purchases obsolete. "I just bought this thing last year, and it won't run all the <insert desirable features here>."
    toysandme
  • Reply 17 of 50
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,343member
    eightzero said:
    blastdoor said:
    cgWerks said:
    eightzero said:

Maybe. But then when they push the ARM chips into it, they instantly alienate the buyers of that previous product by making their recent purchases obsolete. "I just bought this thing last year, and it won't run all the <insert desirable features here>."
    We brought a bunch of G5 iMac's for business continuity reasons when the Intel Transition was announced and current office still had one in the office for non-core uses till recently. This is a bigger more questionable transition in terms of upside at the other end. A lot of important software for people business could take a long while to iron out bugs it creates. Many such software titles may never benefit or go windows exculsive.

Apple doesn't have a public carrot they'll need to sell the transition as yet.

macOS hasn't contained <insert new desirable feature here> for a while.

cgWerks
  • Reply 18 of 50
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Apple switched to Intel because PowerPC was dead for the consumer space. They had to bet the farm on it.

Apple isn't switching to ARM. They are augmenting their product lines with other ARM designs.

watto_cobrarandominternetpersontoysandme
  • Reply 19 of 50
    blastdoor said:
    cgWerks said:
    eightzero said:

I had both. The G5 was a pleasure to open up and fix things or upgrade. It even had diagnostic lights inside. The intel iMac was an absolute nightmare to try to do anything like that. Even the pram battery was so hard to get at it had to be deliberate.
  • Reply 20 of 50
    Eric_in_CTEric_in_CT Posts: 105member
    I purchased a 27" iMac the day after they came out in Nov 2009. 

I didn't know that huge screen was coming and I joke that I almost fainted when it debuted....

It was fairly upgraded, with a 2TB HDD (7200rpm), at $2600.

It's still going and we still use it.  It's on El Capitan and we only use it for family photos in the Photo's app (66,000 of them), and e-mail/Internet.

My replacement goal has always been 2TB SSD, without the SSD-upgrade being $1400.  So far it's been very very high-cost to get there.

Today only the high end $2300 one can be upgraded to 2TB SSD from 2TB Fusion, and it's $700.  So $3000 total to get to 2TB SSD.  Maybe that's very fair, not complaining, but it is steep.

Will be watching with great interest on what the new form factor looks like, but even more what it takes to get to 2TB SSD.

Cheers!
    AMcKinlay21