Foldable iPhone loses notch & resembles iPhone 11 says prolific leaker [u]

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2021
New speculation about a foldable iPhone suggests that Apple has taken a different route that the Samsung Galaxy Fold, and uses design cues from the iPhone 11.

Microsoft Surface Duo, with hinge between two display panels
Microsoft Surface Duo, with hinge between two display panels

A new Twitter post by Jon Prosser weighs in on Apple's "foldable" iPhone. Instead of a screen that covers a hinge, Apple's current prototype allegedly has two display panels, more like the announced but not shipping Microsoft Surface Duo.

Apple's "foldable" iPhone isn't really a foldable.

The current prototype has two separate display panels on a hinge.

Round, stainless steel edges like current iPhone 11 design.

No notch -- tiny forehead on outter display that houses Face ID.

-- Jon Prosser (@jon_prosser)

Apple avoiding a screen over a hinge avoids design issues that plagued Samsung's initial launch of the Galaxy Fold. It also sidesteps the potential issue of repeated opening and closing the device inducing fatigue failure of the screen material over the screen.

In a follow-on response, Prosser says that it doesn't look like two connected iPhones. He also says that when the device is open, it "looks fairly continuous and seamless."

Additionally, also like the Microsoft Surface Duo, Apple is said to not be using a notch. Instead, Face ID and other sensors are contained in a "tiny forehead" above the displays.

It isn't clear where Apple is in the design process, as it has a great deal of research on foldable technologies, and even rollable ones. A foldable iPhone of any variety has been rumored for some time, but isn't expected to ship in 2020.

Apple does have a body of work detailing how two or more devices can work and communicate when in close proximity.

Prosser has been reporting leaks on Apple products for most of 2020, and has a long and established track record when it comes to other vendors. As of late, he has predicted not just codenames, but detailed specs and release dates for unannounced Apple products with complete accuracy.

Update: In an interview with Jon Rettinger posted later on Monday, Prosser elaborated on the idea of a foldable iPhone with two displays, saying that the device is in prototype form. He also claims Apple is conducting an internal investigation to ferret out and plug the source of his leaks. The company has used similar strategies to keep a tight ship in the past.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Prolific Leaker makes it sound like he has an incontinence problem.
    SpamSandwichdocbburkRayz2016avon b7mark fearingjony0eriamjhStrangeDayslolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 27
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Hope this is a leak that was used to suss out a traitor at Apple and isn’t a real product leak. Because the whole trend of “foldables” is just dumb and Apple shouldn’t follow dumb ideas.
    edited June 2020 davgregbeeble42flyingdpMisterKitDogpersonrazorpitaderutterjony0LoneStar88watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 27
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    Has anyone actually developed a good way to input text for these foldables?

The portrait foldables and 360° hinge foldables I could see it being ok for QWERTY input but that is done by turning it into a clunky regular nonfolding slab phone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 27
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    The whole concept is stupid to me.
    flyingdparinkerMisterKitDogpersonviclauyycrazorpitjony0uraharaDancingMonkeyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Nope, don’t think so. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 27
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Do we have ANY information about sales of the Galaxy Fold? Or any foldable for that matter? These were dropped on the market, received various positive and negative reviews, and have now disappeared from the limelight into obscurity. They look to me to be failed attempts at innovation and I don't understand why Apple would be interested in making something like this. Sure, play around in the lab, but bring one to market? Why?
    razorpituraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 27
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Hope this is a leak that was used to suss out a traitor at Apple and isn’t a real product leak. Because the whole trend of “foldables” is just dumb and Apple shouldn’t follow dumb ideas.
    I think there are compelling reasons if they can keep it thin and still have good battery life.  Microsoft has been trying to pursue this same form factor in Courier.  It could show a keyboard on one screen when folding it at an angle or two apps when flat.  Multi-app would help with multi-tasking, drag-and-drop, etc.  The screen would fold together to help prevent scratches.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 27
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 496member
    Please, just leave the dual screen folding concept with Nintendo. 
    viclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 27
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    Actually from this fanboy’s perspective, I believe this.  Apple excels at superb mechanical engineering especially on the computing side (think MacBook Airs, iMacs and PowerMacs, screen support, Apple Watch bands) and dependability.  

This is how Apple would do it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 27
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    lkrupp said:
    Do we have ANY information about sales of the Galaxy Fold? Or any foldable for that matter? These were dropped on the market, received various positive and negative reviews, and have now disappeared from the limelight into obscurity. They look to me to be failed attempts at innovation and I don't understand why Apple would be interested in making something like this. Sure, play around in the lab, but bring one to market? Why?
    Up until COVID-19 struck, Huawei was selling 100,000 a month mainly in China, as theirs was released there first. 
  • Reply 11 of 27
    It’s worth looking into. I don’t think you can dismiss it completely, plus the developed tech and patents can be used on other devices. I’m not sure of the utility either. But by all means, if I was Apple I would spend a bit to make sure there isn’t something ‘magical’ waiting to be dissed out.
    edited June 2020 lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 27
    radster360radster360 Posts: 546member
    The idea of "foldable" died when those clamshell phone died. There is very limited use case for such device and I am sure Apple is not really wasting their time to follow steps of Samsung. I bet there are certainly alternative approaches Apple might be investing their time in. screen technology has changed - Why "foldable"? Why not "Scrollable"? Just imagine screen that rolling into double barreled  scroll. You pull the barrel and the screen appear. The screen dimension could be dynamic on home much it is open. You can go from landscape mode to portrait mode. The edges are one of those micro zip thingy so that it maintains the size and one can hold the phone from just one barrel. The input could be just through the keyboard on screen today. Or, maybe things might get much better so that keyboard is not much used. All the data entry and navigation is done via gesture and voice. The device could be put in the shirt pocket with a clip or it could be put in ladies pursue along with their lipsticks.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 27
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    avon b7 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Up until COVID-19 struck, Huawei was selling 100,000 a month mainly in China, as theirs was released there first. 
    Bullshit!
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 27
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,348member
    avon b7 said:
    lkrupp said:
    https://www.scmp.com/abacus/tech/article/3079283/huawei-lost-over-us60-million-foldable-phones

"Richard Yu, head of Huawei's consumer business, said in an interview with Chinese media outlet The Paper on Thursday that his company has already lost between US$60 million and US$70 million on foldable phones.

Yuge sales...

NOTE: The Paper is the official newspaper of the CCP Central Committee. Talk about those close ties of Huawei to the CCP.

Still not ready for prime time, and less so, now that Huawei can't provide Google services.

I especially like this part;

"While 2019 proved a tough year for the company, Huawei’s annual report shows that it wasn’t all that bad: Huawei remained the second biggest smartphone brand in the world, shipping 240 million phones. About 44 million of those belong to its flagship Mate and P series."

Apple sells something on the order of 180 to 210 million iPhones a year, though 70 percent of those are typically the current years "flagship" models, so Apple is selling 3 times more flagship models than Huawei. That's likely the reason that Huawei's ASP's and margins are so much lower that Apple's.

...and this...

https://techcrunch.com/2020/05/23/uk-government-reverses-course-on-huaweis-involvement-in-5g-networks/

"
    Conservative members of the United Kingdom’s government have pushed Prime Minister Boris Johnson to draw up plans to remove telecom equipment made by the Chinese manufacturer Huawei from the nation’s 5G networks by 2023, according to multiple reports.

The decision by Johnson, who wanted Huawei’s market share in the nation’s telecommunications infrastructure capped at 35 percent, brings the UK back into alignment with the position Australia and the United States have taken on Huawei’s involvement in national communications networks, according to both The Guardian and The Telegraph.

The debate over Huawei’s role in international networking stems from the company’s close ties to the Chinese government and the attendant fears that relying on Huawei telecom equipment could expose the allied nations to potential cybersecurity threats and weaken national security."

2020 doesn't look that great for Huawei...

edited June 2020 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 27
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Canary trap
  • Reply 16 of 27
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    lkrupp said:
    Apple wouldn’t release a product that isn’t compelling.  There have been rumors of Apple testing this form factor for a long time, so they probably see potential regardless of if it comes to market.  I could certainly see interesting use cases if they can overcome the technical hurdles.  The problem with the failed attempts by competitors is that they did *not* overcome the technical hurdles of this design.
    tmaylolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 27
    lkrupp said:
    avon b7 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Bullshit!
    https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/10/21060176/huawei-mate-x-foldable-phone-sales-figures-samsung
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 18 of 27
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    lkrupp said:
    https://www.scmp.com/abacus/tech/article/3079283/huawei-lost-over-us60-million-foldable-phones

"Richard Yu, head of Huawei's consumer business, said in an interview with Chinese media outlet The Paper on Thursday that his company has already lost between US$60 million and US$70 million on foldable phones.

Yuge sales...

NOTE: The Paper is the official newspaper of the CCP Central Committee. Talk about those close ties of Huawei to the CCP.

Still not ready for prime time, and less so, now that Huawei can't provide Google services.

I especially like this part;

"While 2019 proved a tough year for the company, Huawei’s annual report shows that it wasn’t all that bad: Huawei remained the second biggest smartphone brand in the world, shipping 240 million phones. About 44 million of those belong to its flagship Mate and P series."

Apple sells something on the order of 180 to 210 million iPhones a year, though 70 percent of those are typically the current years "flagship" models, so Apple is selling 3 times more flagship models than Huawei. That's likely the reason that Huawei's ASP's and margins are so much lower that Apple's.

...and this...

https://techcrunch.com/2020/05/23/uk-government-reverses-course-on-huaweis-involvement-in-5g-networks/

"Conservative members of the United Kingdom’s government have pushed Prime Minister Boris Johnson to draw up plans to remove telecom equipment made by the Chinese manufacturer Huawei from the nation’s 5G networks by 2023, according to multiple reports.

The decision by Johnson, who wanted Huawei’s market share in the nation’s telecommunications infrastructure capped at 35 percent, brings the UK back into alignment with the position Australia and the United States have taken on Huawei’s involvement in national communications networks, according to both The Guardian and The Telegraph.

The debate over Huawei’s role in international networking stems from the company’s close ties to the Chinese government and the attendant fears that relying on Huawei telecom equipment could expose the allied nations to potential cybersecurity threats and weaken national security."

2020 doesn't look that great for Huawei...

The original question was on sales. The reply was on that. 

Yes, we all know that the Mate XS is being sold at a loss. That is very old news. 

Why do you think that might be?

The rest is just your own personal flavour of anti Chinese rant. 

That 2020 is going to be a hard year is also old news. 

It's is also going to be hard on Huawei's traditional U.S suppliers. They have stated as much. And the U.S strategy, desperate as it clearly is, could backfire massively in a world which moves to shun its technology due to extraterritorial moves. 

https://asiatimes.com/2020/06/how-huawei-can-work-around-us-chip-ban/

But in spite of everything, little surprises keep popping up.

https://www.gizmochina.com/2020/06/15/huawei-overtakes-samsung-worldsw-largest-smartphone-maker-april-2020/

But please don't derail this thread too. 

edited June 2020
  • Reply 19 of 27
    esummers said:
    lkrupp said:
    Apple wouldn’t release a product that isn’t compelling.  There have been rumors of Apple testing this form factor for a long time, so they probably see potential regardless of if it comes to market.  I could certainly see interesting use cases if they can overcome the technical hurdles.  The problem with the failed attempts by competitors is that they did *not* overcome the technical hurdles of this design.
    What failed attempts? 

I haven't heard any widespread complaints about Samsung or Huawei folding phones since they were properly released. 

It is still too early to say how they will hold up to real world use in terms of durability but we are eight months in now and they are anything but not ready for prime time. 

Quite the opposite in fact. For first and second generation phones, they have hit the ground running by all accounts. 

muthuk_vanalingamJamieLeeCurtis
  • Reply 20 of 27
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    Who's gonna bet that it was a set up by Apple to see who is leaking secrets to Prosser? It's easy to make prototypes with each having its own distinctive features and send them to different people and you'll know who is leaking the prototype. 
    elijahgwatto_cobra