Further regulatory filings show new MacBook Air or MacBook Pro on its way

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2020
A new battery filing in Korea's safety certification lists, plus photograph, indicate that a revised MacBook Air or MacBook Pro is being prepared by Apple.

The current MacBook Air
The current MacBook Air

Following both Chinese and Danish certifications, a Safety Korea one is again listing a new battery with Apple model number A2389. This has previously been suspected to be for a MacBook Pro or MacBook Air based chiefly on the model number, but for the first time, the new filing shows a photograph.

The image, spotted by 91mobiles, clearly shows a battery configuration similar to those found in current Apple laptops. The configuration is closest to that of a MacBook Air, but is sufficiently different that it still isn't clear which model it's for.

The newly-certified battery. (Source: 91mobiles)
The newly-certified battery. (Source: 91mobiles)

The fact that the battery requires a new safety certification means that it has in some way been redesigned or reengineered since the previous model. Consequently the differences from current battery designs doesn't rule out that it could be for the expected forthcoming refresh of the MacBook Air.

As with the Chinese and Danish filings, this battery has a capacity of 4,380 mAh. The current MacBook Air is a built-in 49.9-watt-hour one.

Apple refreshed the MacBook Air earlier in 2020, but is now also transitioning the entire range to Apple Silicon. At WWDC, Tim Cook announced a two-year transition and said that the first Apple Silicon-based Mac will go on sale by the end of 2020, but has yet to say what model it will be.

Previously, industry sources and analysts such as Ming-Chi Kuo have said that it will be a MacBook. However, they are not clear whether it will be a MacBook Pro, a MacBook Air, or the return of Apple's previously discontinued MacBook.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    qwerty52qwerty52 Posts: 367member
    Maybe AppleSilicon “MacBook Whatever” ?... 😉
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I’ll bet it will be the Air.

They’ll want to emphasize battery life and how well it stacks up against Intel, both with regard to processor and graphics. You can’t really do that effectively with a junior MacBook, or versus the Pro with discrete graphics.

It wouldn’t surprise me if they sell them both for a time — basically you’ll be able to choose between Intel and Apple silicon when you buy.
    twokatmewne1watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I’ll bet it won’t be the Air. The MacBook will be the Lightest and thinnest flagship product and the first to have Apple Silicon. You heard it first here.
    ne1watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Oh, Apple did it again !
    A new battery !!
    Upon full consideration of the battery component, its inner working, combined with intrinsic knowledge of the interaction with its peer electronic circuitry regulating all the energy requirements that the particular device would require, Apple’s design and engineering teams spent days and weeks to create the best appliance using world-class design and the expertise compartimented with other companies.
    So ehhhh... we have a battery now
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I can’t edit my comment above, so I’ll continue the argument here. If you look at the current Air pages, it wouldn’t be hard to add Apple Silicon as an option, without changing much else — much of the text could stay the same, only the discussion of processors and graphics would have to be completely revised.

The Air was redesigned in 2018, when no doubt Apple Silicon was already in motion and could have been factored into the new design. 

I had assumed that there would be all-new form factors for the AS machines, but perhaps the opposite is a better strategy — to ease the transition, they will offer both Intel and Apple as BTO options within the same form factors.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    I'll be a bit disappointed if the first AS Macs come with the same designs to be honest. Hoping to get it all together, Apple Silicon, a 14" redesign, mini LED. My body is ready. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    Oh, Apple did it again !
    A new battery !!
    Upon full consideration of the battery component, its inner working, combined with intrinsic knowledge of the interaction with its peer electronic circuitry regulating all the energy requirements that the particular device would require, Apple’s design and engineering teams spent days and weeks to create the best appliance using world-class design and the expertise compartimented with other companies.
    So ehhhh... we have a battery now
    Days and weeks? Are you crazy. They probably started work on it 5 years ago! :)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    As long as whatever it is has two ports minimum
  • Reply 9 of 11
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    uffenman said:
    I’ll bet it won’t be the Air. The MacBook will be the Lightest and thinnest flagship product and the first to have Apple Silicon. You heard it first here.
    Keep an eye on this

edited August 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    The 'one-port' premium MacBook 12" was extremely controversial at its 2015 release but was hailed as the future of laptops. Five years on, USB-C has a far higher market penetration and acceptance and the original fan-free, low-power Mac is the ideal initial beneficiary for Apple Silicon. It was discontinued July 2019, prematurely, but clearly for a reason. Apple roadmaps tend to extend for manny years into the future. The moment the decision was made to make the MB12 the first to receive Apple Silicon, I would expect its Intel days were planned to end even before the release of the 2017 incarnation. 

We can expect dramatically improved performance and battery life, Thunderbolt over USB-C plus a retake on that troublesome keyboard. It will remain a premium laptop and certainly not a cheap 'student laptop' but rather the laptop of choice for travelling creatives - use it for a full day's travel then plug it in to two 4k HDR monitors and edit movies. I think Apple are planning a 'wow' moment, this autumn ('fall' in US English). 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    EXACTLY my thought as well. The air will never be the flagship product because of its extended name. Remember: simplicity (even in the name) is the Apple way.

MacBook will be a stunner. Probably have the new keyboard and amazing battery. I am waiting for this purchase although I do love my 12" MacBook. It will be worth the wait and my only wish would be that Jobs could've unveiled it.

I'm doubtful but hopeful it will be the powerhouse you think it will be. I'm thinking it will be the executive's laptop for email and web work. but I hope I'm wrong:)

timmillea said:
    The 'one-port' premium MacBook 12" was extremely controversial at its 2015 release but was hailed as the future of laptops. Five years on, USB-C has a far higher market penetration and acceptance and the original fan-free, low-power Mac is the ideal initial beneficiary for Apple Silicon. It was discontinued July 2019, prematurely, but clearly for a reason. Apple roadmaps tend to extend for manny years into the future. The moment the decision was made to make the MB12 the first to receive Apple Silicon, I would expect its Intel days were planned to end even before the release of the 2017 incarnation. 

We can expect dramatically improved performance and battery life, Thunderbolt over USB-C plus a retake on that troublesome keyboard. It will remain a premium laptop and certainly not a cheap 'student laptop' but rather the laptop of choice for travelling creatives - use it for a full day's travel then plug it in to two 4k HDR monitors and edit movies. I think Apple are planning a 'wow' moment, this autumn ('fall' in US English). 

watto_cobra