Apple shuts down Epic Games developer account

Comments

• Reply 61 of 107
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    [...]
    Well, I do, I have released over 40 games on the App Store - both licensed IP’s and games for marketing purposes, some successful and some not, and I can tell you the App Store today is a shit show because of the sheer amount of content. [...]
    Please list your 40+ games.
    watto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 62 of 107
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,965member
    Epic is like a giant crowbar that will pry chunks out of Apple's wall. Hurray for Epic!
    That’s nutso. The walled garden is a feature, not a bug. If you don’t derive value in it like other customers do, just don’t use it. Use android to your heart’s content. Owned by Google, who is also being sued by Epic. 
    thtbushman4AppleZulupscooter63lollivertmaywatto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 63 of 107
    Beats said:
    Naiyas said:
    Beats said:
    Quench,  so you believe that Apple owns a piece of all revenues from anything on their devices?

wasnt that way with Macs and ought not be a walled garden with a 30% Apple tax.   iPads and phones ought not be so locked down,  it is anti consumer 

quench said:
    So Epic agreed to the contract because they know Apple has an enormous base of customers. Then epic got greedy and thought they could be dishonorable and cheat the company (Apple) that helped them become a worldwide sensation.
    epic you suck for your dishonesty, lying to customers when you blamed Apple for the situation that you forced onto itself, stealing from the company that made you extremely wealthy. 
    I don’t care what quality games you produce, I will not support a greedy, lying, stealing company ever again.
    I'm done with you epic!

If that's an "Apple Tax" then let's be fair.

Wal-Mart Tax
    Amazon Tax
    Nintendo Tax
    Microsoft Tax
    Target Tax
    Home Depot Tax
    Kroger Tax
    Best Buy Tax

So stupid.
    Don’t forget the Epic Tax in their own store!

I will next time someone mentions it. Feel free to use this reply also.

I hate how Apple is targeted often for things 99% of the industry does.
    I don’t mind the industry being slammed for doing bad shit. I mind when greedy billionaire corporation A acts superior to greedy billionaire corporation B by criticizing B for the very same things A are doing. The hypocrisy is beyond disgusting.
    Beats
  • Reply 64 of 107

quench said:
    So Epic agreed to the contract because they know Apple has an enormous base of customers. Then epic got greedy and thought they could be dishonorable and cheat the company (Apple) that helped them become a worldwide sensation.
    epic you suck for your dishonesty, lying to customers when you blamed Apple for the situation that you forced onto itself, stealing from the company that made you extremely wealthy. 
    I don’t care what quality games you produce, I will not support a greedy, lying, stealing company ever again.
    I'm done with you epic!
    And you don’t think Apple is greedy? Charging 500% of the retail price for storage in your new iMac, or soldering the SSD in your motherboard because then you’ll buy a new iMac sooner when it dies?
    Nah. It’s clear you don’t own a mac, huh? Soldered storage is faster, more reliable, and less prone to failure as plug in components. This is fact, not opinion. So you’re not going to be buying a new Mac sooner because of it. My Macs last close to a decade anyway when they are put to pasture. Macs have a longer useful lifespan than PCs, so you’re just peddling hater conspiracy theory. Pathetic. 

baconstangpscooter63BeatsuraharalolliverGG1killroywatto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 65 of 107
    quench said:
    I'm done with you epic!
    I have released over 40 games on the App Store - both licensed IP’s and games for marketing purposes, some successful and some not, and I can tell you the App Store today is a shit show because of the sheer amount of content.    
    Strange because you seem confused on what the App Store is or does. It’s not there to provide discovery to all apps. It’s up to developers and users to publicize and find apps. The App Store is there to vet them for safety and provide a 100% trustworthy payment system, so users don’t have to take chances and worry whether some unknown small-time developer will still their credit card info, install keyboard loggers, etc. 

Saying their is “too much content” on the store is as nuts as saying there’s too many websites. 
    bushman4pscooter63Gilliam_BatesBeatsdewmeuraharalollivertmaykillroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 66 of 107
    bshankbshank Posts: 256member
    I wonder what Epic is thinking...
    I get they are frustrated with the 30% “Apple Tax” but their actions make no sense.

I'm thinking that for them, they can only win.   They can't lose:
    Their game is to break down the walls of the walled garden.  
    -- If they succeed then they win
    -- if they don't succeed then they go back to obeying the rules -- and have lost very little (but gained a bunch of free publicity!)
    Dude, what part of Epic is not allowed back in did you not understand?
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 67 of 107
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,080member
    Saying their is “too much content” on the store is as nuts as saying there’s too many websites. 
    Also, if your app isn’t selling, make better apps. 

People in the US seem to think they are entitled to success if they merely put in the hard work. It doesn’t work that way. You have to think outside the box and create something that not only is useful, but is user friendly, looks good and is something people want to use or waste their time on. Not some cheap knockoff of another app. 

The cream always rises to the top. 
    edited August 2020 BeatslolliverFileMakerFellertmaykillroywatto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 68 of 107

quench said:
    I'm done with you epic!
    And you don’t think Apple is greedy? Charging 500% of the retail price for storage in your new iMac, or soldering the SSD in your motherboard because then you’ll buy a new iMac sooner when it dies?
    Nah. It’s clear you don’t own a mac, huh? Soldered storage is faster, more reliable, and less prone to failure as plug in components. This is fact, not opinion.
    Sort of. Soldering the storage into the machine has no impact on speed.
  • Reply 69 of 107
    mac_dog said:
    People in the US seem to think they are entitled to success if they merely put in the hard work. It doesn’t work that way. You have to think outside the box and create something that not only is useful, but is user friendly, looks good and is something people want to use or waste their time on. Not some cheap knockoff of another app. 

The cream always rises to the top. 
    Not always. There are plenty of superior products that failed for reasons other than quality issues, and many that won market dominance despite bad design, bad functionality, and a lack of quality control (Windows is a famous example; by the time it got somewhat better, it didn’t really matter).

It is definitely true, though, that “just putting in the work” isn’t enough.
  • Reply 70 of 107
    PS: Epic has definitely self-inflicted any and all injuries, here.
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 71 of 107
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 771member
    Anyone know if they are going to pull this with the AS ecosystem as well - only software you can install will be via their curated store? I like Apple but they seem to have become the company we all hated in MS and before that, IBM. 
  • Reply 72 of 107
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 771member
    d_2 said:
    My wife sells wholesale goods to retailers. With Epic’s logic, she should take her products, walk in to her favorite large retailer (WalMart), setup a table or two, and start selling direct.

Sure, that would work great.

/s

But what if WalMart was only one of two places she could sell her product and they shut her down because they wanted to take an additional 30% off the top of whatever it she sells but she wanted to run it through Square? Sounds like that would work great for you but maybe not your wife! 

/s
  • Reply 73 of 107

quench said:
    I'm done with you epic!
    Nah. It’s clear you don’t own a mac, huh? Soldered storage is faster, more reliable, and less prone to failure as plug in components. This is fact, not opinion. So you’re not going to be buying a new Mac sooner because of it. My Macs last close to a decade anyway when they are put to pasture. Macs have a longer useful lifespan than PCs, so you’re just peddling hater conspiracy theory. Pathetic. 

Exactly. Let’s look at the number of possible failure points for socketed RAM vs soldered.

Socketed: Solder connection between motherboard and socket. Solder connection between memory chips and memory module circuit board. Contacts between socket and module. Total failure points: 3

Soldered: Solder connection between memory chips and motherboard. Total failure points: 1

Soldering is substantially more reliable.
    Beatslollivertmaykillroywatto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 74 of 107
    johnbearjohnbear Posts: 160member
    30% tax on the AppStore. 
    $1000 monitor stand!
    Wait till next year when the gov will step in to control these unscrupulous companies.
  • Reply 75 of 107
    noelosnoelos Posts: 127member
    johnbear said:
    30% tax on the AppStore. 
    $1000 monitor stand!
    Wait till next year when the gov will step in to control these unscrupulous companies.
    Nobody has to buy the $1,000 stand. There’s plenty of competition. And if the 30% genuinely wasn’t worth it there would be no apps in the store as it wouldn’t be worth developers time writing them for “only” 70% - they would focus their efforts on more open platforms instead.

Many people buy iPhones over the vast competition because they want something that works the way it does. These customers are the same ones who are willing to pay for apps so even with the 30% cut it’s still makes sense for developers to address that market. 
    BeatsdewmeuraharalolliverFileMakerFellertmaywatto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 76 of 107
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,102member
    A few people will ditch their iPhone to keep up with Fortnite, but not many. Some will keep playing their existing version of Fortnite on their iPhone until they get bored with it and move on. The lawyers will fight in court and Fortnite will lose. You can still get Fortnite on other platforms, so they have no standing in the case. They will have also lost all of their iOS-based revenue in the meantime, which will hurt them way more than it hurts Apple. This was a stupid move that may in the end help Apple prove its case that the walled-garden is a feature that Apple customers choose in a competitive market in which Apple does not have a monopoly.
    lolliverwatto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 77 of 107
    Securiy,Privacy, uniformity, and variety is what the App Store is about. Many  Apps don’t get in because they fail in one of these categories 
    Apples reviewing these apps is what the 30% goes for
    if you want to take your chances then Android is the way to go
    Beatslolliverkillroywatto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 78 of 107
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,453member
    jungmark said:
    quench said:
    I'm done with you epic!
    And you don’t think Apple is greedy? Charging 500% of the retail price for storage in your new iMac, or soldering the SSD in your motherboard because then you’ll buy a new iMac sooner when it dies? And still 30% in 2020 on app purchases, while the vast majority of developers are drowning and disappearing in the offerings of millions of apps? 

My Mac is 7 years old and still running strong. I bought my memory after the fact. I Have an external drive. People can upgrade the OS in their Macs quite easily. Windows users just buy new PCs. 

I agree with you if your are talking about cheap Windows PC's.  High quality PC's are as good or better than Apple devices.  I have customer with PC's running without issues for more than 7 years.  Now we are replacing the the HDD with SSD in some devices, and the difference in performance noticeable.  
  • Reply 79 of 107
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,102member
    johnbear said:
    30% tax on the AppStore. 
    $1000 monitor stand!
    This ignores the hot mess that was the app developer market before Apple created the integrated iOS App Store. Apple delivers millions of customers to developers who can operate without creating their own retail/transactional support department. It makes it possible for developers to create apps that sell large volumes at low prices, so smaller margins can actually generate higher profit.  Once you’ve written an app and it’s posted on the App Store, you might sell 50 copies or 5 million. Scaling up isn’t your problem, and even after Apple’s cut, you can make more without spending more. None of that was true before the App Store opened.
    tenthousandthingslolliverFileMakerFellertmaywatto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 80 of 107
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,453member

quench said:
    I'm done with you epic!

Although what you said may be a fact, in real life maybe is not noticeable.  My customers have no problems with their Thinkpads or PC's, even though they don't have soldered SSD or RAM modules.  And I don't remember Apple older devices having major issues with replaceable RAM and storage.  

And like I posted before, Mac have a longer life compared to cheap Windows devices.  High quality Windows devices are as good or better than Apple devices.  
    gatorguy