Power button Touch ID on more iPads in 2021, smaller notch on 5.4-inch 'iPhone 12' [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2021
Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo doesn't expect the "iPhone 12" to sport a 120Hz display, but he does believe that upcoming iPad Air models will have Touch ID in the power button and new Apple Watches will feature blood oxygenation sensors.

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider
Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider

Apple is set to debut new products at a virtual "Time Flies" special event on Tuesday, Sept. 15. The event is expected to focus on new "Apple Watch Series 6" and "iPad Air" models and not the "iPhone 12" -- something Kuo corroborates.

In a note seen by AppleInsider, Kuo forecasts that the new "iPad Air" model will be the first to feature a Touch ID sensor embedded in the power button, but it won't be the last. The analyst expects more iPad models that lack Face ID -- such as the iPad mini or entry-level iPad -- to adopt the placement in 2021.

The analyst isn't expecting any major changes to Apple's flagship wearable lineup with the "Apple Watch Series 6." Kuo says that the new models will sport a similar form factor to the current generation, but will feature blood oxygen sensing as its major new addition.

Apple's wearable platform is due for a significant design revamp, which Kuo believes could arrive in the second half of 2021.

As is the general consensus, Kuo doesn't expect the "iPhone 12" lineup to debut at Apple's Sept. 15 event, due to mass production dates.

When the devices do launch, the analyst predicts that they will lack 120Hz "ProMotion" displays because of battery life concerns. The "iPhone 12" models will already see a battery life impact due to the addition of 5G, and adding 120Hz displays will "significantly hurt the user experience." He does contend that 2021 iPhones could feature a faster refresh rate by introducing LTPO technology.

Kuo corroborates that Apple will release 5.4-inch and 6.1-inch "iPhone 12" models in 2020, as well as a 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch "iPhone 12 Pro" models. All four will support 5G and will come in two versions: one with only sub-6GHz support and one that supports both the low-band 5G and mmWave.

On design changes, both 6.1-inch models and the 6.7-inch device will feature the same size notch as current "iPhone 12" devices. However, Kuo says that the 5.4-inch "iPhone 12" will feature a "slightly narrower notch area for displaying the information well" in its upper corners.

As far as when the "iPhone 12" models will ship, Kuo says that the mass production dates vary. The 5.4-inch and 6.1-inch "iPhone 12" models will be mass-produced in early and mid-October, respectively. The "iPhone 12 Pro" models will be mass-produced in late October. He adds that shipments of sub-6GHz models will arrive earlier than those supporting mmWave.

Update: Information about new Apple Watch design added.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    I guess I can see how a narrow power button could have a Touch ID sensor, but how would something that thin actually record a fingerprint in the first place since a finger is about ten times wider than the button? Would you have to slide the finger over the button to initialize your fingerprint?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 26
    I guess I can see how a narrow power button could have a Touch ID sensor, but how would something that thin actually record a fingerprint in the first place since a finger is about ten times wider than the button? Would you have to slide the finger over the button to initialize your fingerprint?
    If that's the case, it sounds like a really really bad experience to me. Too Andoid-feel like world.
    MisterKitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 26
    If the iPad Air 4 does have TouchID within the power button, I can see this being a precursor for future iPhone SE models incorporating the same.  Imagine a future iPhone SE with "bezel-free" LCD screen and power-button TouchID going for $399 (or $499).
    edited September 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Why not put Touch ID power buttons on all iPhones too. Then you’ve got dual options, or even a choice of requiring both for maximum security. 
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 26
    I guess I will skip September’s event now since only minor stuff is being launched!
  • Reply 6 of 26

There is probably no other way in current state of affair to do it otherwise when you wanna compact tablet with big screen. Face id too expensive and Touch ID in screen probably as well or not ready yet.

But hope that future iPhone SE will have Touch id in screen not in power button. Or Face ID will be price competitive in that time. As even now you can but for price of SE or less used iPhone X or XR. At the time of next SE secondhand and refurbished market will be full of Face ID devices for good price. Even 5.4" Iphone 12 can be at 499 or lover price level.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 26
    If the iPad Air 4 does have TouchID within the power button, I can see this being a precursor for future iPhone SE models incorporating the same.  Imagine a future iPhone SE with "bezel-free" LCD screen and power-button TouchID going for $399 (or $499).
    Imagine a new iPhone SE Plus model,  about same size as 8 plus with slightly bigger LCD screen and newer cpu and E-sim too.   With 256GB option, maybe better cameras?  Would be seriously great phone and probably under $700?  I would gladly trade my 8 Plus in.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 26
    jasonfj said:
    Why not put Touch ID power buttons on all iPhones too. Then you’ve got dual options, or even a choice of requiring both for maximum security. 
    The main thing I want added to iOS is some sort of self destruct code, so that if I ever enter self destruct password, the device is immediately silently erased. Also, the same erasure system should also be applied if I use any of my fingers other than a certain one. That way if some criminal (or police officer?) was trying to force me to unlock my phone, or even if someone was trying to use my dead fingers to unlock the phone, they would probably get the wrong finger and the device would be silently erased. That would act as a disincentive to force me to unlock it, because only I know which finger is the required finger. I've read that banks give wealthy customers a secondary PIN that works perfectly, but also acts as a silent alarm that you are withdrawing the money under duress.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 26
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Let me help Apple with design idea of moving touch id on side. Instead of moving touch id to a power button, move touch id to a portion on frame on side(below power button). This arrangement gives extra space(entire width of frame + however much needed vertically) for touch ID.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 26
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member

If Apple removes front touch id from 2020 iPhone SE and move on side which helps increase the screen area keeping the same SE size frame is really cool. Apple can easily extend the life of lower models like SE few more years by simply upgrading internals like what Apple did for 2020 SE. In process, convert the millions of price conscious android users to iPhone, all over the world.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 26
    jasonfj said:
    The main thing I want added to iOS is some sort of self destruct code, so that if I ever enter self destruct password, the device is immediately silently erased. Also, the same erasure system should also be applied if I use any of my fingers other than a certain one. That way if some criminal (or police officer?) was trying to force me to unlock my phone, or even if someone was trying to use my dead fingers to unlock the phone, they would probably get the wrong finger and the device would be silently erased. That would act as a disincentive to force me to unlock it, because only I know which finger is the required finger. I've read that banks give wealthy customers a secondary PIN that works perfectly, but also acts as a silent alarm that you are withdrawing the money under duress.
    That is called a "duress code", and is also common in police and security communications. The problem with a duress code is by design you almost never use it. That means when under extreme stress, you are less likely to remember it.

I don't see Apple adding a feature which would let people nuke all their data with a single code.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 26
    M68000 said:
    Imagine a new iPhone SE Plus model,  about same size as 8 plus with slightly bigger LCD screen and newer cpu and E-sim too.   With 256GB option, maybe better cameras?  Would be seriously great phone and probably under $700?  I would gladly trade my 8 Plus in.
    Along the same lines as I'm thinking.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 26
    As the sides and buttons are normally covered by a case, now what?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Hi.Jack said:
    As the sides and buttons are normally covered by a case, now what?

Good question. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 26
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    jasonfj said:
    There is an option to erase all data after 10 unsuccessful passcode attempts. There is also an option to temporarily disable Touch ID/Face ID by press/hold  the sleep and volumn buttons simultaneously. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 26
    jungmark said:
    jasonfj said:
    There is an option to erase all data after 10 unsuccessful passcode attempts. There is also an option to temporarily disable Touch ID/Face ID by press/hold  the sleep and volumn buttons simultaneously. 
    Fine and good, but a bad person wouldn't let you do either of those things if he knows that. I'm specifically talking about being under duress.
  • Reply 17 of 26

zimmie said:
    jasonfj said:
    That is called a "duress code", and is also common in police and security communications. The problem with a duress code is by design you almost never use it. That means when under extreme stress, you are less likely to remember it.

I don't see Apple adding a feature which would let people nuke all their data with a single code.
    Understood, but this doesn't have to be a code, because of Touch ID supporting multiple fingers, there could be a right finger and a wrong finger. I always carry all ten of my fingers with me. I presume most people use either their thumb or index finger, and the bad guy (or the government) wouldn't know which one to use. It's 50-50 at best. Even if I don't use this feature, the bad guy wouldn't know that.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    I guess I will skip September’s event now since only minor stuff is being launched!
    It’s almost always incremental. They don’t reinvent the wheel year. They refine and polish...that’s how Apple rolls, as written about over a decade ago now:

https://www.macworld.com/article/1151235/apple-rolls.html
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 26
    jasonfj said:
    Completely in favor of allowing people to choose different levels of security for different tasks.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    wood1208 said:
    Let me help Apple with design idea of moving touch id on side. Instead of moving touch id to a power button, move touch id to a portion on frame on side(below power button). This arrangement gives extra space(entire width of frame + however much needed vertically) for touch ID.
    Or how about the back of the phone à la Samsung? Works surprisingly well.