App Store nearly doubles Google's Play Store revenue in Q3 despite boom in Android app ins...

Posted:
in iOS edited October 2020
Revenues generated by Apple's App Store yet again nearly doubled those of Google's Play Store in the third quarter of 2020, according to new data from Sensor Tower.

App Economy

Citing preliminary estimates from its own Store Intelligence solution, Sensor Tower reports consumer spending on in-app purchases, subscriptions and one-time app purchases rose to $19 billion globally on the App Store, up 31% year-over-year. By comparison, Google's Play Store grew 34% over the same period to net $10.3 billion.

On the whole, app buyers spent 32% more than the $22.2 billion generated by the two app stores in the third quarter of 2019, while installs grew 23.3% to hit 36.5 billion.

As usual, Apple's majority take of global revenue was achieved with much fewer installs. The App Store ticked up 2.5% with an estimated 8.2 billion installs, while Play Store growth boomed with 28.3 billion installs, up 31% on the year. Despite the huge jump in first-time installs, Android lags far behind iOS as a money-generating platform.

Sensor Tower found that the ongoing coronavirus pandemic continues to positively impact the app market, a phenomenon first witnessed at the end of the second quarter in July.

Social media upstart TikTok was the highest earning non-game app in the third quarter, followed by YouTube, Tinder, Tencent Video and Disney+. TikTok also led installs, with Facebook, Zoom, WhatsApp and Instagram following.

Game apps saw similar increases during the quarter, with combined spending increasing 26.7% to reach $20.9 billion. The App Store led this category and generated $12.4 billion from in-game spending, up 24% year-over-year. Google Play generated $8.5 billion in revenue, up 30.8% on the year.

Sensor Tower's report is merely an estimate of actual sales. Apple does not break out metrics from its App Store, but in June highlighted a study that found the ecosystem to have facilitated more than $500 billion in commerce during 2019. It should be noted that physical goods and services accounted for a large bulk -- $413 billion -- of that figure.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,954member
    I’m not the maths, but how is a tick over 30% “nearly double”? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 22
    cjcoopscjcoops Posts: 112member
    cornchip said:
    Because 19 billion is nearly double 10.3 billion...

App Store nearly doubles Google's Play Store revenue”

gregoriusmcornchipmatrix077uraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 22
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,100member
    cornchip said:
    The 32% is the percent increase in revenue the Apple App Store saw from the same quarter last year. (From $14.5B to $19B.) The nearly double is how much more the Apple App Store makes, compared to the Google Play Store in the same quarter. ($19B vs $10.39B) 
    gregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 22
    The report forgot to mention the tens of thousands of dollars that Epic store made 
    h4y3scornchipmatrix077Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 22
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,954member
    cjcoops said:
    cornchip said:
    Because 19 billion is nearly double 10.3 billion...

App Store nearly doubles Google's Play Store revenue”

davidw said:
    cornchip said:
    The 32% is the percent increase in revenue the Apple App Store saw from the same quarter last year. (From $14.5B to $19B.) The nearly double is how much more the Apple App Store makes, compared to the Google Play Store in the same quarter. ($19B vs $10.39B) 
    Sorry, it was late and I wasn’t reading the chart correctly. Got it now 🥴
    Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 22
    cloudguycloudguy Posts: 323member
    This site never points this out. 
    1. Google Play does not operate in China.
    2. China is the #1 market for mobile apps.

Lots of independent analyses have shown that were Google Play in China, the total revenue would easily surpass the App Store. Of course, iOS would still have a huge per device/per customer average though. And where the main revenue driver for Google Play would still be IAP/free-to-play games while enterprise/professional/productivity and other premium apps as well as subscription services would still have much more revenue.

One thing that I have noticed is that Sundar Pichai's huge effort to invest in India - his initiative to train 1 million Android programmers in India as well as targeting that market with Android Go hardware - hasn't resulted in much revenue for Google Play yet.
    edited October 2020 johnbear
  • Reply 8 of 22
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,594member
    cloudguy said:

Lots of independent analyses have shown that were Google Play in China, the total revenue would easily surpass the App Store. Of course, iOS would still have a huge per device/per customer average though. And where the main revenue driver for Google Play would still be IAP/free-to-play games while enterprise/professional/productivity and other premium apps as well as subscription services would still have much more revenue.

One thing that I have noticed is that Sundar Pichai's huge effort to invest in India - his initiative to train 1 million Android programmers in India as well as targeting that market with Android Go hardware - hasn't resulted in much revenue for Google Play yet.
    There's a lot of app stores for Android besides Google Play, including even major Western ones like Amazon's. I've no issue comparing the App Store with Google Play as that's how much revenue flows back to the OS provider, but don't make assumptions on developer revenue's between iOS and Android,  based on one app store vs. 100% of an entire platform. I would not be at all surprised if Android apps as a whole make as much or more for developers as those on iOS.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 22
    cloudguy said:

Google Play not being in China only matters in the context of "mine is better than yours" fanboy arguments.  No, I'm not saying that's the type of argument you're making.  I am saying that's basically the only place where that data point is relevant. This site is only reposting info gathered through other sources.  Those sources know their own audience doesn't care whether or not the Play Store is in China.  Their audience cares if the respective app stores show growth.  They do.  Beyond that, a flat analysis of the data in the estimates basically says 2 things: both app stores grew revenue at essentially the same rate and dollar per app revenue favors the App Store.  That last data point is nothing new or surprising or likely to change anytime soon.  

I noted earlier MacRumors has a much more comprehensive detailing of the charts.  Worth taking a look.  Linked above.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    People who can't afford iPhones have less money!?!?

I'm really shocked.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    gatorguy said:
    cloudguy said:

There's a lot of app stores for Android besides Google Play, including even major Western ones like Amazon's. I've no issue comparing the App Store with Google Play as that's how much revenue flows back to the OS provider, but don't make assumptions on developer revenue's between iOS and Android,  based on one app store vs. 100% of an entire platform. I would not be at all surprised if Android apps as a whole make as much or more for developers as those on iOS.
    Only if you consider apps for the "Android" forks used by Amazon devices and devices in China as "Android'. In 2019, Google revealed that there were 2.5B devices on Android. That number do not include any "Android" devices that do not support the Google Play Store and all the Google apps available. Google only consider devices that support the Google Play Store and Google apps as devices using "Android". At the same time frame, there were about 2B iOS devices. So clearly, as far as Google is concern, their Google Play Store is not on nearly 4X as many devices as the Apple App Store, as marketshare for Android would seem to indicate. People that calculate marketshare numbers usually includes all forks of Android, even if they don't run or support any Google apps. To them, the 1/3 of the marketshare that is in China running a fork of Android, are the same as those devices running what Google would consider an "Android" device.   

A developer developing Google apps doesn't mean that their Google app will automatically work on Amazon devices using Fire OS or on "Android" devices in China. (That's if they can gain access to the "Android" devices in China.) It might take as much effort to recode their Google apps, as it does to recode for iOS. If they want to develop for Amazon devices, they must develop for Fire OS and use the Amazon App Store. Otherwise there is no support from Amazon. And I have no idea as to what it would take to develop apps for China "Android" devices as they have nearly zero support for any Google apps that runs on what Google consider "Android".  

And then you got the issue that in order to reach over 80% of Android users, a developer might have to make their apps work for 2 or 3 versions of Google Android. Whereas with iOS, just developing for the newest iOS is often all that is needed to reach over 80% of iOS devices. This is added cost for Google Android developers. 

I'm sure that you might be correct in saying that as a whole, "Android" developers makes as much developing for "Android" as they would for iOS. But only if you count developing for Fire OS and for China devices with their Android fork, as developing for "Android". For sure, Google don't. As far as Google is concern, Amazon devices, China "Android" devices and any device using a fork of Android that don't support the Google Play Store, are not "Android" devices.   
    edited October 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 22
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,971member
    Beats said:
    People who can't afford iPhones have less money!?!?

I'm really shocked.
    That literally doesn't mean anything. iPhones have nothing to do with anything.

Plenty of wealthy people don't have iPhones either.

And what does 'afford an iPhone' even mean? 

Surely you could swap that out for any flagship phone on the market?

Less money than what? 

Your income 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 13 of 22
    cloudguycloudguy Posts: 323member
    davidw said:
    gatorguy said:
    cloudguy said:

Only if you consider apps for the "Android" forks used by Amazon devices and devices in China as "Android'. In 2019, Google revealed that there were 2.5B devices on Android. That number do not include any "Android" devices that do not support the Google Play Store and all the Google apps available. Google only consider devices that support the Google Play Store and Google apps as devices using "Android". At the same time frame, there were about 2B iOS devices. So clearly, as far as Google is concern, their Google Play Store is not on nearly 4X as many devices as the Apple App Store, as marketshare for Android would seem to indicate. People that calculate marketshare numbers usually includes all forks of Android, even if they don't run or support any Google apps. To them, the 1/3 of the marketshare that is in China running a fork of Android, are the same as those devices running what Google would consider an "Android" device.   

A developer developing Google apps doesn't mean that their Google app will automatically work on Amazon devices using Fire OS or on "Android" devices in China. (That's if they can gain access to the "Android" devices in China.) It might take as much effort to recode their Google apps, as it does to recode for iOS. If they want to develop for Amazon devices, they must develop for Fire OS and use the Amazon App Store. Otherwise there is no support from Amazon. And I have no idea as to what it would take to develop apps for China "Android" devices as they have nearly zero support for any Google apps that runs on what Google consider "Android".  

And then you got the issue that in order to reach over 80% of Android users, a developer might have to make their apps work for 2 or 3 versions of Google Android. Whereas with iOS, just developing for the newest iOS is often all that is needed to reach over 80% of iOS devices. This is added cost for Google Android developers. 

I'm sure that you might be correct in saying that as a whole, "Android" developers makes as much developing for "Android" as they would for iOS. But only if you count developing for Fire OS and for China devices with their Android fork, as developing for "Android". For sure, Google don't. As far as Google is concern, Amazon devices, China "Android" devices and any device using a fork of Android that don't support the Google Play Store, are not "Android" devices.   
    Sorry this is not true. The first thing that most people do when they buy an Amazon device is load Google Play onto it. Also lots of people install Amazon App Store onto Google devices. Most importantly, Huawei, Xiaomi, Oppo and other Chinese phones have Google services on devices sold outside China i.e. in India and Europe. Further there are bundlers who will submit your Android apps - the same version and everything - to all the leading Android app stores for a fee and send you the revenue from all the stores. You create an account with the bundler, submit your app to them and the bundler deals with all the various app stores on the back end. 

So yeah articles like this that omit that Google Play vs the App Store IS NOT a one on one comparison are giving a distorted picture. It shows that Google is missing out on a vast amount of revenue by choosing not to do business in China. If they were, they would easily have a bigger valuation than Microsoft, who incidentally sells tons of Office and Windows licenses in China, including an edition made specifically for the Chinese government.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 306member
    davidw said:
    gatorguy said:
    cloudguy said:

Not sure what you mean by "Google apps"? The Android apps our company develops run (unmodified) on all major markets an forks - including some of the new cars with native ART support and automotive branded closed appstores. Android is like _everywhere_ these days.
    Still iOS earns us about the same amount of money, on far fewer devices.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 22
    IreneW said:
    davidw said:
    gatorguy said:
    cloudguy said:

Not sure what you mean by "Google apps"? The Android apps our company develops run (unmodified) on all major markets an forks - including some of the new cars with native ART support and automotive branded closed appstores. Android is like _everywhere_ these days.
    https://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=2359799

Basically, Google Apps are the apps that Google develop to harness it's users data for their targeted advertising. Targeted advertising is how Google makes over 80% of their revenue. Google Apps are mostly "free" services for devices that are running Google Android. They do not all necessary work or work properly, on devices running an Android fork. Google do not consider devices running an Android fork as "Android" devices. Though marketing people do. "Android" is a trademark of Google and the Android name can only be use on devices running the Android that supports Google Apps.

Thus Amazon devices are said to be running on Fire OS as the Fire OS is an Android fork and do not include any Google Apps and might not support all of the Google Apps. Nor do Amazon offer any support for them if you were to load them into an Amazon device, by side loading in the Google Play Store. And I don't think Google would offer any support if you were to install a Google App into a device not running Google Android.    

In you develop an app for Android, it might very well run on all devices with any forks of Android. But if you incorporate any of the Google Apps into your app, it might not run or not run properly on devices running on an Android fork. And there will probably be no support from either the device maker or Google. But with Android being open source, there are many developers in the community that are more than wiling to help.    

edited October 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 22
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Am I the only one unhappy with the headline? There’s no need for the s on double. The App Store isn’t doubling google pay store’s income, it earns twice the revenue. 

As for the other arguments I’d be surprised if the revenue from non google pay android apps was almost the same as the entire google pay revenue, which is what is needed to catch up with iOS. Maybe, but unlikely. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 22
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    davidw said:
    IreneW said:
    davidw said:
    gatorguy said:
    cloudguy said:

Basically, Google Apps are the apps that Google develop to harness it's users data for their targeted advertising. Targeted advertising is how Google makes over 80% of their revenue. Google Apps are mostly "free" services for devices that are running Google Android. They do not all necessary work or work properly, on devices running an Android fork. Google do not consider devices running an Android fork as "Android" devices. Though marketing people do. "Android" is a trademark of Google and the Android name can only be use on devices running the Android that supports Google Apps.

Thus Amazon devices are said to be running on Fire OS as the Fire OS is an Android fork and do not include any Google Apps and might not support all of the Google Apps. Nor do Amazon offer any support for them if you were to load them into an Amazon device, by side loading in the Google Play Store. And I don't think Google would offer any support if you were to install a Google App into a device not running Google Android.    

In you develop an app for Android, it might very well run on all devices with any forks of Android. But if you incorporate any of the Google Apps into your app, it might not run or not run properly on devices running on an Android fork. And there will probably be no support from either the device maker or Google. But with Android being open source, there are many developers in the community that are more than wiling to help.    

I think you mean incorporate google services into your app. 
    gatorguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Anybody who knows what the average user spends per year in these two OS'es?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 22
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 306member
    asdasd said:
    davidw said:
    IreneW said:
    davidw said:
    gatorguy said:
    cloudguy said:

I think you mean incorporate google services into your app. 
    Yes, that is probably the case. And a lot of apps doesn't need those, so I don't see the problem. Android is still Android, with or without the Google Play services.
    watto_cobraasdasd
  • Reply 20 of 22
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,594member
    Anybody who knows what the average user spends per year in these two OS'es?
    I think that's been reported before so probably easy to find it it's important to you. As far as Apple and Google's cut of app revenue it's important but both are seeing 10's of billions a year in revenue from it so neither one is hurting, and developers working both platforms probably don't care all that much. It's not the per user but revenue per platform. 
    :)