'iPhone 12' wireless charging accessories said to resurrect 'MagSafe' branding

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2020
Apple may be reintroducing its old "MagSafe" term, though not the same technology, in peripherals designed to charge the forthcoming "iPhone 12."

A new leak may confirm a previous claim that Apple was changing its wireless charging design
A new leak may confirm a previous claim that Apple was changing its wireless charging design

Four years since the last MacBook Pro abandoned Apple's MagSafe charging connector, Apple is reportedly planning to revive the name. According to a leak from the Chinese site Weibo, which also detailed "HomePod mini" news, and the "iPhone 12" display details, Apple is preparing a pair of "MagSafe" peripherals.

Describing what it calls the "official key accessories," the leak says, in translation, that the "official magnetic casing comes with Magsafe, two wireless chargers Magsafe Charger, Magsafe Duo Charger."

There are no further details. However, it's possible that this may relate to a previous leaked image which purported to show a revised internal charging system for the "iPhone 12."

At the core of that claimed redesign was a circular arrangement of very many small magnets. These were said to be to help align the iPhone to Apple's as yet unannounced wireless charger or chargers.

There is a precedent for Apple reviving a term and applying it to a different product. From 1999 to 2006, Apple used the term "iBook" for its range of consumer laptops, for instance. Later from around 2010 to 2018, "iBooks" was instead the name for what are now referred to as Apple Books.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    There is a precedent for Apple reviving a term and applying it to a different product. From 1999 to 2006, Apple used the term "iBook" for its range of consumer laptops, for instance. Later from around 2010 to 2018, "iBooks" was instead the name for what are now referred to as Apple Books.
    iBook was nonsensical name. iBook became digital books, makes perfect sense. MagSafe was awesome, and saved my bacon multiple times. I still cringe whenever the kids, the wife, the cats, me, accidentally yank the cord out of my MacBook Pro.

I get where they’re coming from with this branding, just seems like a kick in the junk to all of us who remember the original. Still bitter about them not giving us MagSafe AND USB-C charging.
    PetrolDaveOctoMonkey
  • Reply 2 of 3
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    razorpit said:
    I get where they’re coming from with this branding, just seems like a kick in the junk to all of us who remember the original. Still bitter about them not giving us MagSafe AND USB-C charging.
    Yes, yes, YES!  THIS!

I nearly destroyed my MacBook yesterday by tripping over the cable. Apple doesn't have to invent the solution.  They already did.
    PetrolDaverazorpit
  • Reply 3 of 3
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    MagSafe.

i do not think it means what they say it means.