Apple launches iPhone 12 with 5G, A14 Bionic processor, higher resolution display

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2020
Apple's new iPhone 12 brings 5G, a Super Retina XDR display, multiple colors, plus a new design that includes Ceramic Shield to strengthen the glass

Apple has unveiled the 6.1-inch iPhone 12 at its September "Hi, Speed" event. The iPhone 12, starting at $799, features flat sides instead of the previous curved design, but continues to be made from glass and aluminum.

The glass element is greatly improved, however, with Apple bringing its Super Retina XDR format to this entry-level iPhone. "The new all display also has a higher resolution, with twice as many pixels, as iPhone 11," said Kaiann Drance, vice president, iPhone Product Marketing. "It now has 460 pixels per inch. So text will be sharper for easier reading, and your photo with more detail."

As well as improvements to what the display shows, Apple has strengthened the glass that its front screen is made from. "The coverglass on iPhone 12 is the toughest in the industry," continued Drance. "Our incredible materials engineering team has been working closely with our partners at Corning the leaders in glass technology on a new cutting edge material.

"We call it Ceramic Shield," she said. "[It] goes beyond glass by adding a new high temperature crystallisation step, which grows nano ceramic crystals within the glass matrix to dramatically improve toughness."

The iPhone 12 includes an Apple Silicon A14 Bionic processor which Apple says brings 50% performance improvement over the iPhone 11.

Cameras and video

The new phone continues to have a dual-camera system, but Apple has improved it. "[The iPhone 12] has the ultra wide camera that people love, and use to take inspiring photos and creative ways," said Drance. "[It] also has a new wide camera... This allows more light to hit the sensor, making every photo better."

The iPhone 12 retains a dual camera system, but it's improved
The iPhone 12 retains a dual camera system, but it's improved

Apple says that improved computational photography means the iPhone 12 now has Night Mode. It means brighter pictures, and better contrast, plus more texture and less noise in Deep Fusion shots.

The iPhone 12 is now the first phone camera to shoot HDR video in Dolby Vision. The film industry standard brings the ability to shoot cinema-grade videos directly on the iPhone 12.

It also features what Apple describes as an end-to-end Dolby Vision experience, meaning that films can be shot, then edited and shared on iPhone. Editing and sharing can be done in the Photos app or iMovie, and playback is improved with new cinematic video stabilization.

Improved wireless charging

As expected, Apple has revived its MagSafe name, but is using it for a new and improved wireless charging system.

This new system is compatible with existing Qi wireless chargers, but when charging with new MagSafe compatible connectors, the iPhone can receive up to 15W.

MagSafe uses an array of magnets to make sure that the wireless charger precisely aligns with the iPhone's internal wireless charging system. Apple is launching a MagSafe Charger for the iPhone, or a MagSafe Duo Charger for iPhone and Apple Watch.

These MagSafe peripherals, plus cases, will be available or order from October 16.

How Apple's new MagSafe wireless charging works
How Apple's new MagSafe wireless charging works

While adding all of these features, Apple has removed both the power adapter and the wired headphones from the iPhone 12. Apple says that this reduction enables them to make substantially smaller boxes, to the extent that it can ship 70% more iPhones on a shipping pallet.

"Customers already have over 700 million lightning headphones," said Lisa Jackson, vice president of environment, policy and social initiatives, "and many customers have moved to a wireless experience with AirPods, Beats, or other wireless headphones."

"There are also over two billion Apple power adapters out in the world, and that's not counting the billions of third party adapters," she continued. "So we are removing these items from the iPhone box, which reduces carbon emissions and avoids the mining and use of precious materials."

"Altogether, the changes we've made for iPhone 12 cut over 2 million metric tonnes of carbon emissions annually," continued Jackson. "It's like removing 450,000 cars from the road, per year. This is huge. And we're really proud that Apple is taking the lead. We hope others will follow, making this impact even bigger for our planet."

Apple's new iPhone 12 will be available to pre-order at $799 in the US and most territories from October 16. Orders will begin to arrive for customers on October 23.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    They seem to have Swedish Chef from the Muppets introducing 5G 😂
    elijahgbluefire1pulseimagesrazorpit
  • Reply 2 of 58
    balubalu Posts: 13member
    Love the new design and MagSave looks exciting.

edited October 2020 razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 58
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    iPhone 12 Mini actually excites me more.
    netroxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 58
    What world are these commercials made in? No one is wearing masks, not very realistic. 
  • Reply 5 of 58
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,572member
    One of the promo videos showed some clips from Apple TV+ shows including apparently a short clip of a rocket from next season's For All Mankind.

I was offended when one of the brief clips showed someone pulling out what looked like a knife from his pocket. That was scary, and RA---T. I won't use the word.
  • Reply 6 of 58
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    What world are these commercials made in? No one is wearing masks, not very realistic. 
    They’re pretending it’s November 4th.
    designrfred1jony0Japheyibillwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 58
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    One of the promo videos showed some clips from Apple TV+ shows including apparently a short clip of a rocket from next season's For All Mankind.

I was offended when one of the brief clips showed someone pulling out what looked like a knife from his pocket. That was scary, and RA---T. I won't use the word.
    I can fit a 1911 officer model or PPK inside my pocket.  ;)
    edited October 2020 pairof9watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 58
    Jonny KJonny K Posts: 8unconfirmed, member
    Love the fact that Apple remove stuff from the package that’s very useful and make the omission a feature. Vapourware if ever it existed
    rain22spice-boy
  • Reply 9 of 58
    razorpit said:
    They wear masks behind the scenes. Not while presenting.
    edited October 2020 StrangeDaysRayz2016Beatsjony0razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 58
    Jonny K said:
    Love the fact that Apple remove stuff from the package that’s very useful and make the omission a feature. Vapourware if ever it existed
    Really?  How useful?  You really don't already have 17 each of those chargers and headphones?

And if you're one of the 6 people on earth who really don't, then what about the rest of us who do?  Why do I want to pay for those (plus the extra costs for shipping the larger boxes, and the cost to the environment, etc -- all real things not just BS marketing)... AGAIN?
    StrangeDaysRayz2016Beatsjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 58
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    Who? The families?
    Beatsuraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 58
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,572member
    Detnator said:
    Jonny K said:
    Really?  How useful?  You really don't already have 17 each of those chargers and headphones?

And if you're one of the 6 people on earth who really don't, then what about the rest of us who do?  Why do I want to pay for those (plus the extra costs for shipping the larger boxes, and the cost to the environment, etc -- all real things not just BS marketing)... AGAIN?
    That's a bit rude. Some people don't own 17. Most don't. And when I give an old iDevice away, I give away the USB charger, so I think I have only ONE charger in my house, and one headphone. Who on earth would give away an iDevice without giving away the charger/headphone too?
    dysamoriarain22spice-boy
  • Reply 13 of 58
    Detnator said:
    Jonny K said:

Agree. Except they didn’t give you a price drop. They just took away standard equipment. It is unneeded, however keeping the price the same makes it look like a money grab. 
    dysamoriarain22
  • Reply 14 of 58

razorpit said:
    Nope. A million dead globally, 220,000 US dead and counting. It's not going away in November. 
    edited October 2020 MplsPtmaydysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 58
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    No loss for the headphones. I just dump them in the recycling bin anyway. Mixed feeling on the charger. Sure I have a drawer of them. Sure I charge with a USB charging outlet rather than the brick. But a convenient USB outlet won’t always be around. Not like regular power outlets are. We will need bricks, and the ones I have will fail eventually. It’s a lot like when HP stopped including USB cables with their desktop printers. It just feels like they’re dumping a cost back on us. 
    dysamoriarain22
  • Reply 16 of 58

Jonny K said:
    If you're referring to the stock headphones or stock charger, it's fine. I have half a dozen of each sitting in a draw and I know I'm not alone. Just as the old printers didn't include parallel port printer cables, we don't need millions or billions of these sitting around in drawers or landfill. It's fine. You likely have what you need already, and can toss on in your cart if you done. We'll live.

Meanwhile, they just doubled the base-storage of the Pro from 64gb to 128gb. I'd much rather they save money not shipping junk I don't need, and use it including more storage I can use. It's a win win win.
    edited October 2020 Scot1DetnatorRayz2016jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 58
    Detnator said:
    Jonny K said:

Agree. Except they didn’t give you a price drop. They just took away standard equipment. It is unneeded, however keeping the price the same makes it look like a money grab. 
    Except... there's a LOT of new stuff in these phones, not the least of which is the 5G which is more expensive than the LTE in the previous ones.  Without these omissions, the prices would have been higher (not just for the physical items, but the shipping costs, etc. as well) and then there's the "OMG Tim's so greedy hiking prices AGAIN", etc. outrage.  So I think this is actually a pretty good move, all things considered.
    designrBeatsjony0StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 58
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,370member
    The leakers pretty much spoiled the entire present unwrapping ceremony. It's like kids who find out where their parents hide all the Christmas presents and peak ahead of time. It just kind of ruins the fun. What do these "leakers" really get out of their antics, other than to spoil the fun of so many others just to prove that they are "special" in some way because they have some lowlife on the inside feeding them proprietary information? Makes me want to stay away from these kind of web sites in the first place. With so few good things to look forward to in 2020 a little surprise would have been a much needed change of pace. Oh well. Bad leaker, bad bad leaker that needs to be housebroken.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 58

Detnator said:
    Jonny K said:

That's a bit rude. Some people don't own 17. Most don't. And when I give an old iDevice away, I give away the USB charger, so I think I have only ONE charger in my house, and one headphone. Who on earth would give away an iDevice without giving away the charger/headphone too?
    Not sure "rude" is fair.  But whatever we want to call it, the sarcasm and snark in the post I was replying to warranted it I think.

And yes, often we give the chargers away with the phone, but often we don't.  I've nearly always just traded my phone back into the carrier I was on a payment plan with and they don't want or give any credit for including the charger or headphones with the traded in phone. so I really do have at least 17 of those Apple USB charger bricks.  It's ridiculous.

Not including it in the box gives us the choice - and choice is better, surely?  Anyone who doesn't have one can still buy one separately (they're not exactly expensive), but those of us who do have them don't have to pay for them again. I'll bet a lot of them start showing up on ebay or whatever.  Those of us who have 17 can make a few extra bucks and those who need them can get them cheap if desired.  They last a VERY long time before failing.  As StrangeDays says above, it just seems to be win win win all round I think.
    edited October 2020 jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 58
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,008member
    Detnator said:
    Jonny K said:

They doubled the starting option for data storage. Then there's all the new sensors, lenses, processor, screen, screen glass, 5G tech, etc. Same price as last year's model. But sure, dropping the charger and wired buds a few hundred million people will never use, that's a money grab.
    DetnatorBeatsjony0StrangeDaysuraharawatto_cobra