Apple debuts $699 5.4-inch iPhone 12 mini

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2020
Apple has debuted the new iPhone 12 mini, packing all the power of the iPhone 12, in a chassis about the same size as the iPhone SE.

iPhone 12 mini (top) versus iPhone 12 (bottom)
iPhone 12 mini (top) versus iPhone 12 (bottom)

The iPhone 12 mini replaces the old iPhone 11, with a smaller display at 5.4-inches compared to the iPhone 11 6.1-inch display. It's also larger than the current iPhone SE's 4.7-inch screen, with a similar footprint to that device.

As with the rest of the iPhone 12 range, the iPhone 12 mini has a new design. It features flat sides instead of the previous curved one, but continues to be made from glass and aluminum.

Apple claims that the new iPhone 12 mini is effectively the iPhone 12, bar the larger screen. "[The] iPhone 12 mini has the exact same features as iPhone 12," said Kaiann Drance, vice president, iPhone Product Marketing. "In fact, iPhone 12 mini is the smallest thinnest and lightest 5G phone in the world, with its large screen and compact size."

The iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini sizes compared
The iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini sizes compared

"[It] fits in the palm of your hand while still keeping the expansive edge-to-edge Super Retina XDR display," she continued. "It's smaller and lighter than our 4.7 inch models like iPhone 8, but with a larger 5.4 inch display that lets you see so much more with its compact size."

"We think this will be an incredibly popular iPhone," said Drance. "[With] everything on iPhone 12, an iPhone 12 mini is the latest 5G [phone, which has] the fastest chip... the most advanced display with all the all new design with ceramic shield, even better water resistance, new cameras for low light and MagSafe."

The iPhone 12 mini will be available starting from $699, for a 64GB model. It will also be available in 128GB, and 256GB, and will come in blue, green, black, white, and (PRODUCT)RED. Preorders start in the US and many territories at 05:00 PT on November 6, with shipping from November 13.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    balubalu Posts: 13member
    Perfect. I love. I want.
    hcrefugeecornchipmattinozwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 37
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    I'm coming around to going back to a smaller phone - I use my old iPhone 4s at my night stand and it's normally in a dock.  I picked it up the other day and it's shocking how much smaller is is than my 11Pro (not even the max!).  It felt really, really good in my hand and gave me a stark contrast to where things have grown. 

It's nice to see Apple providing more of a range in sizes once again.
    hcrefugeeforgot usernameaderutterGG1retrogustobaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 37
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    I am so happy about the iPhone Mini... definitely going to be my next iPhone. 
    hcrefugeejames_caddybaluwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 37
    Was thinking about getting the iPhone SE 2020 for the small size and Touch ID but the battery life is a turn off. Can you use Face ID with a mask though? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 37
    Its going to feel like the future stole and upgraded my iPhone 5s when I get my hands on this! Looking forward to it. Although, slightly cheesed off they seem to charge a $30.00 premium for certain carriers and sim-free options. Especially on top of having to buy a better charger.
    baluwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 37
    The answer to my prayer for a small and efficient phone!
    With degrading eyesight, I might be faced into the basic 12 with the 6.1" display. Also, the 12 pro apparently has an expanded 5G coverage. 
    forgot usernamebaluwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 37
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    $729 from T-Mobile. The $699 is a special offer from AT&T and Verizon. 
    james_caddy
  • Reply 8 of 37
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    IPhone 12 Mini is a perfect answer to those wanting or complaining smaller iphone like older SE. Now they got smaller than newer SE and with up-to-date tech. Hope, make those buyers happy or at-least stop complaining.
    Now Apple can take SE2 to SE3 moving touchid to power button, $399 price, offering larger screen in the same frame. Keep everyone happy.
    edited October 2020 aderutterjames_caddybalu
  • Reply 9 of 37
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    This is mine. Get out of my way!
    james_caddybalu
  • Reply 10 of 37
    thttht Posts: 5,420member
    I've got too many choices! Argh. I could see myself getting all variants of the iPhone 12 models. Would love to get this mini, but would love to have some stainless steel after not having it for 8 years, and in some ways, I would miss a big screen! Have to wait for RAM details too.

My plan is still miniLED iPad Pro 12.9" model when it comes out, and probably a 128 GB iPhone 12 mini, unless it has 3 GB of RAM that is. 
  • Reply 11 of 37
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,109member
    I hope this sells like hotcakes. I feel like there’s been a big unfilled demand for something like this. If it had a telephoto camera instead of ultra wide, I would grab it immediately, but I’m not sure I’m ready to give up the telephoto on my Xs. Still, it must be the best small phone now by a huge margin. 
    pscooter63baconstangentropysmike54
  • Reply 12 of 37
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    Was thinking about getting the iPhone SE 2020 for the small size and Touch ID but the battery life is a turn off. Can you use Face ID with a mask though? 
    No, not if you originally set up FaceID without the mask. However, there is an option in the "FaceID & Passcode" menu under Settings to set up an "Alternate Appearance" to include your mask.

pulseimagesbalupscooter63entropysdocno42
  • Reply 13 of 37
    tht said:
    I've got too many choices! Argh. I could see myself getting all variants of the iPhone 12 models. Would love to get this mini, but would love to have some stainless steel after not having it for 8 years, and in some ways, I would miss a big screen! Have to wait for RAM details too.

My plan is still miniLED iPad Pro 12.9" model when it comes out, and probably a 128 GB iPhone 12 mini, unless it has 3 GB of RAM that is. 
    I am the same - my ideal world is a nice portable phone that disappears in the pocket, the largest iPad possible for situations where you want a portable yet immersive screen and a bloody giant iMac (30 inch + would be perfect) for work and desktop use :)
    baconstang
  • Reply 14 of 37
    tht said:

I am the same - my ideal world is a nice portable phone that disappears in the pocket, the largest iPad possible for situations where you want a portable yet immersive screen and a bloody giant iMac (30 inch + would be perfect) for work and desktop use :)
    Yea, hopefully the mini will have 4 GB of RAM. I think that would seal the deal for me. Unfortunately, all the Apple Stores in my area are COVID closed, so I can't inspect the feel of the different sizes, materials, and design. My 6S Plus is basically in hospice right now. Just limping along.

I might feel different about the mini if I left the house more though.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    Can you use Face ID with a mask though? 
    I doubt it. Or a burqa. I hope women in countries where burqas are required by law get FaceID and tell their rulers that they have to keep taking off their burqa to use their iPhone.
    edited October 2020 spock1234
  • Reply 16 of 37
    It looks like a legitimate successor to the original iPhone SE1. Having FaceID and MagSafe added helps to justify the price increase, not to mention the OLED screen and performance improvements. It would be nice to get hands on at an Apple Store but this is almost certainly a compelling “proper size” iPhone.
    balubaconstang
  • Reply 17 of 37
    sdbryan said:
    It looks like a legitimate successor to the original iPhone SE1. Having FaceID and MagSafe added helps to justify the price increase, not to mention the OLED screen and performance improvements. It would be nice to get hands on at an Apple Store but this is almost certainly a compelling “proper size” iPhone.
    Since it is an "iPhone mini", it hopefully implies that it is a permanent edition to the lineup, and will be updated every year. Yes, it looks like a good option for iPhone 5 form factor lovers. Just a little bit bigger, but it's a modern phone with modern components.
    balubaconstang
  • Reply 18 of 37
    Very excited about the iPhone 12 mini, but noticed that the real cost is $729 (and not $699 as advertised) even if I buy it directly from Apple. Comes across as a sleazy move, and certainly not a good look for Apple. It would have cost them nothing to admit that the actual price is $729. FWIW, I sent a note to Apple about this.
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 19 of 37
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    spock1234 said:
    Very excited about the iPhone 12 mini, but noticed that the real cost is $729 (and not $699 as advertised) even if I buy it directly from Apple. Comes across as a sleazy move, and certainly not a good look for Apple. It would have cost them nothing to admit that the actual price is $729. FWIW, I sent a note to Apple about this.
    Especially on top of the removal of the charger and earphones. It looks quite dodgy. Dodgy as.
    james_caddy
  • Reply 20 of 37
    tht said:
    tht said:

Yea, hopefully the mini will have 4 GB of RAM. I think that would seal the deal for me.
    I hope so, that iPhone 12 and 12 mini will be having 4GB of RAM, with PRO models getting at least 6 GB.
    mike54