iPhone 12 wireless charging hits 15W with MagSafe, Qi limited to 7.5W

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple device users can now take advantage of 15W wireless charging for their iPhones with iPhone 12, but only with charging accessories based on the new MagSafe protocol.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

The charging puck, which revives the beloved MagSafe branding, is a proprietary charger that attaches to the rear of an iPhone via integrated magnets. Think of it like an Apple Watch charger for iPhone.

As Apple noted during its Tuesday keynote, the $39 MagSafe Charger will be able to charge iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro models at a much faster 15W power rate.

However, it appears that Qi-based charging accessories won't get access to that faster charge. When used with an Apple device, Qi chargers are stuck with a maximum of 7.5 watts, the same spec offered with iPhone 11 and older handsets.

Similarly, while the MagSafe chargers will be compatible with any iPhone that supports wireless charging, the item description appears to indicate that faster wireless charging will be restricted to iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro models. That suggests there's a new component in the 2020 models that "opens up" 15W charging, which has long been available on competing Android devices. (The 15W charging rate has also been a standard Qi specification for several years.)

Apple, for its part, says that it has updated its shielding design to "safely provide up to 15 watts for faster charging."

It's worth pointing out that Apple said it will make MagSafe technology available to third-party manufacturers so that they can create their own magnetic charging accessories for Apple's new iPhones. That could suggest that higher charging rates will eventually be available from third-party products.

Alongside MagSafe charging accessories, Apple also debuted new cases and wallets that take advantage of the magnetic attachment points for quick and easy installation and removal. MagSafe cases will also not interfere with charging via MagSafe pucks. Apple also debuted a dual-charger that can power both an iPhone and an Apple Watch, but hasn't specified its price or availability.
kudu

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    kudukudu Posts: 44member
    Will it be considered “fast charging” that you get with a 20w wall charger and usb-c cable ie 50% charge in 30 min? Or slightly slower, but faster that Qi with the 7.5W (I hope my W’s are accurate)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    kudu said:
    Will it be considered “fast charging” that you get with a 20w wall charger and usb-c cable ie 50% charge in 30 min? Or slightly slower, but faster that Qi with the 7.5W (I hope my W’s are accurate)
    The wired 20W charging and the 15W wireless charging are both considered fast charging.  Depending on Apple's charging algorithm (charging doesn't occur at the same rate throughout the charge cycle) I think it's safe to say the wired 20W charge will be faster than the wireless 15W charge.  How much faster?  Till they're tested, we won't know if it's significant or inconsequential.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Why is Qi limited to 7.5w?
    /rhetorical

what’s the bet the mfi spec for MagSafe limits Qi to 7.5w, while gear with the Apple spec goes to 15w.
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Did anyone else wonder how they can use a powerful magnet to attach a credit card holder to the back of a phone?  Won't that wipe out the mag stripe?  I know hotel key cards can prove quite sensitive to magnets.
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    GabyGaby Posts: 190member
    As they’ve removed all accessories this year it would be nice if they gave the option of either including the MagSafe charger instead of the lightning cable and allowing the customer choice of preference. Or at the bare minimum heavily subsidising the cost; particularly for those that don’t need another lightning cable. They’ve also been a bit dishonest or I should say misleading in their marketing as they state that rather than providing accessories they’re including a much faster usb c to lightning cable this year. While that is true, it’s also true that last year we got the same cable for the pro model in addition to an 18 watt power brick....
    Again, for recent pro owners and people who purchased separately they don’t likely need the power brick but I think that for first time buyers or people with old 5 Watt adapters, there should be a box to check if they require one. And perhaps offer recycling of old accessories. 
    edited October 2020 razorpit
  • Reply 6 of 10
    “Similarly, while the MagSafe chargers will be compatible with any iPhone that supports wireless charging, the item description appears to indicate that faster wireless charging will be restricted to iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro models. That suggests there's a new component in the 2020 models that "opens up" 15W charging, which has long been available on competing Android devices.”

Yes there is, Apple noted during the event that they have created a new custom charging coil that allows for the faster speed, accompanied by the granite and copper shielding. That would suggest that they’ve implemented their own standard perhaps because the Qi spec isn’t efficient enough for the constraints of the iPhone in terms of heat dissipation. Although I’m surmising. Only Apple knows the specifics. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Gaby said:
    As they’ve removed all accessories this year it would be nice if they gave the option of either including the MagSafe charger instead of the lightning cable and allowing the customer choice of preference. Or at the bare minimum heavily subsidising the cost; particularly for those that don’t need another lightning cable. They’ve also been a bit dishonest or I should say misleading in their marketing as they state that rather than providing accessories they’re including a much faster usb c to lightning cable this year. While that is true, it’s also true that last year we got the same cable for the pro model in addition to an 18 watt power brick....
    Again, for recent pro owners and people who purchased separately they don’t likely need the power brick but I think that for first time buyers or people with old 5 Watt adapters, there should be a box to check if they require one. And perhaps offer recycling of old accessories. 
    The “box to check” is just adding it to your bag when shopping. It’s not rocket science. 

Apple already offers recycling.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Gaby said:
    The “box to check” is just adding it to your bag when shopping. It’s not rocket science. 

Apple already offers recycling.
    Gosh what a simpleton. And when I mention recycling what I mean is if they agreed to offer new for old. I.e they will let customers who need a compatible fast charger to have one either free or subsidised as long as they hand in old adapters and cables... 
  • Reply 9 of 10
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Did anyone else wonder how they can use a powerful magnet to attach a credit card holder to the back of a phone?  Won't that wipe out the mag stripe?  I know hotel key cards can prove quite sensitive to magnets.
    My AirPod Pro's will wipe out a hotel key card. Credit card strips are more robust. My wallet and AirPods sit in the same pocket. I'm assuming Apple tested this considering they show an Apple Card in the ad.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    razorpit said:
    My AirPod Pro's will wipe out a hotel key card. Credit card strips are more robust. My wallet and AirPods sit in the same pocket. I'm assuming Apple tested this considering they show an Apple Card in the ad.

it comes with EM shielding specifically to ensure no such problems. 
    watto_cobra