First initial iPhone 12 teardown video surfaces online

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2020
What is likely the very first teardown video of the new iPhone 12 has surfaced on Chinese social media, showing off the internals of the new Apple handset.

Credit: DuanRei
Credit: DuanRei

The iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro became available for preorder earlier in October and officially launch on Friday, Oct. 23. But ahead of that ship date, at least one person got their hands on one of the new models. In an initial teardown video reposted by DuanRui on Twitter, a clip from Century Weifang Technology gives us a first look at the iPhone 12's internal construction.

iPhone 12 teardown video. pic.twitter.com/XuOJxfuoQh

-- DuanRui (@duanrui1205)

The video is a short one at just two minutes and twenty seconds, and certainly isn't an in-depth teardown. But it does give a glimpse at some of the changes that Apple has made before more detailed teardowns are carried out.

For example, the video indicates that all it takes is a couple of screws and a suction cup to remove the display assembly from the rest of the iPhone chassis. Getting into the components, the clip depicts what seems to be a smaller Taptic Engine, as well as the MagSafe components against the back wall of the device.

It's hard to glean anything especially concrete from the clip, given its brevity. But since iPhone 12 models start arriving on doorsteps and store shelves on Friday, it won't be long before a more detailed teardown appears online.

Although iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro models will soon be in the hands of consumers, Apple's iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 12 Pro Max go up for preorder on Nov. 6.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    It would be nice to know whether the newest Qualcomm modem was used.   Unfortunately I don't know Chinese.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    It would be nice to know whether the newest Qualcomm modem was used.   Unfortunately I don't know Chinese.
    According to Rene Ritchie it ships with the Snapdragon X55, as does the Galaxy Note 20. The X60 is yet to come.
    edited October 2020 GeorgeBMach4y3swatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 5
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,305member
    I'm sure iFixit will be pleased about how easy it is to get into it.
    lkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 5
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    chasm said:
    right. looking forward to it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 5
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    chasm said:
    The same as it has been for years?
    watto_cobra