Apple announces Apple Silicon Mac special event for November 10

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    AniMill said:
    PLEASE bring back the Mac Chime and the glowey  !
    Can't help you with the glowey , but go here for the chime; https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/02/22/how-to-turn-your-mac-startup-chime-back-on.

@xed beat me to it.
    edited November 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 57
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Naturally, makes perfect sense. Apple Si Air should be first than Pro(13") than Pro 15" than iMac and rest. If this true than you Apple, nailed it again and again and again. Apple, seems to do no wrong!!!!!!!!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 57
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,375member
    It’s so nice to have something to look forward to these days. I felt there was something lacking from the October announcements.

I’d imagine Apple would want to resurrect the MacBook with Apple Silicon, ideally with a cellular radio (at least LTE but perhaps 5G). But who knows, people aren’t traveling as much as they used to and I always saw the MacBook’s primary appeal being traveling business people.

I may as well go crazy and say that I’d like to see Apple deliver a white plastic (or whatever it was made of - but with other colors available too) Apple Silicon version of the MacBook again, but this time with the primary focus being on serving the educational market. Something like a MacBook SE, a full frontal assault on the ChromeBook and low-end Surface market. I’d even consider putting an LTE radio in it so users/students who don’t have access to broadband at home can at least get connected via cellular networks. There has never been a time in computing history where the need to support remote learning has been more important. Hey, maybe call it the MacBook RE, for remote education. Ideally, something in the $599 (WiFi only) and $699 (WiFi + LTE) would hit a sweet spot without having to cost reduce materials or build quality.
    patchythepirateh2pwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 57
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    MacBook to rival 12" Core M with super long battery life, no fan and lots of power would be one way to demonstrate to Intel *how* to build great, modern chips.
    Intel is basically shipping crap across their entire product line.    All sorts of companies are showing them how to build modern chips.

To b perfectly honest I have high hopes for Apple's "Apple Silicon" Macs as I hope that it slowly shifts the industry away from a focus on X86.   I'm not sure if I will buy because honestly I'm hoping that we some signs that Apple is correcting some of their behavior issues.   So while a purchase might be up in the air, I'm hoping for the type of success for Apple that moves the industry to major changes.

In a nut shell a laptop that actually lasts for an intense 8-12 hour work day would be industry changing.
    williamlondonrezwitswatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 57
    AniMill said:
    PLEASE bring back the Mac Chime and the glowey  !
    Interestingly enough, I booted my 2019 15" MBP from a beta of Big Sur and noticed the sound control panel has an option to "play sound on startup". Now, running my machine on Mojave, it chimes on boot, just like the good old days!
    ronnrandominternetpersonRayz2016ravnorodomcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 57
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    tshapi said:
    melgross said:
    The date is interesting because all the pundits have been giving reasons why Nov 10 wouldn’t be possible, why it just HAD to be the 17th.
    The 17th is too late if they want ramp up before BF/CM. The 10th gives them 2 weeks to delivery any new products to Brick and Mortar that isn’t already there before BF/CM
    My personal opinion on the 17th was solely based on the shipping dates for 16 inch MBPs from the Australian Apple Store. Which may not even be related to this event, especially if it's not an ASi update.

I hadn't heard of anyone being insistent that it couldn't be the 10th, but I'm not really in any of the loops at the moment. I don't even listen to tech podcasts just now, because theyve all been more or less the same for so long.

Fingers crossed for a Mac mini.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 57
    I want an updated Apple TV
    Bombdoeronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 57
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    MacPro said:
    Use of the phrase 'One more thing' by Apple is a sign this is a paradigm-shifting event, that phrase is sacred.
    Apple tends to use puns in its invitations. I'm "Onedering" if this invitation hide a pun. I think I predicted a couple of months ago on one of these forums that the Apple Silicon iMac may be renamed the "Apple One". That's obviously not going to happen since Apple has recently announced a service called "Apple One." I don't like the sound of "Apple More" or "Apple Thing." I can't see what the pun might be.

Nice to see that Apple used my "Apple One" trademark suggestion for something, though. You owe me, Tim. Here are more new ideas from me that you may also want to use: Apple First, Apple All, Apple Total, Apple Key, Apple Ocean, Apple Proud, Apple Rainbow, Apple Eco, Apple Free, Apple Jump, Apple Triumph, Apple Reach, Apple Rocket, Apple Brilliant, Apple Bright, Apple Crown. If you use any of these words, I deserve a free copy.
  • Reply 29 of 57
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    ‘One more thing’ has been replaced with ‘Apple Event’
    Maybe there will be more than just one more thing and the title was misleading??
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 57
    Look, an iPad Air with 256 GB of storage costs $750. dewme said:
    It’s so nice to have something to look forward to these days. I felt there was something lacking from the October announcements.

I’d imagine Apple would want to resurrect the MacBook with Apple Silicon, ideally with a cellular radio (at least LTE but perhaps 5G). But who knows, people aren’t traveling as much as they used to and I always saw the MacBook’s primary appeal being traveling business people.

I may as well go crazy and say that I’d like to see Apple deliver a white plastic (or whatever it was made of - but with other colors available too) Apple Silicon version of the MacBook again, but this time with the primary focus being on serving the educational market. Something like a MacBook SE, a full frontal assault on the ChromeBook and low-end Surface market. I’d even consider putting an LTE radio in it so users/students who don’t have access to broadband at home can at least get connected via cellular networks. There has never been a time in computing history where the need to support remote learning has been more important. Hey, maybe call it the MacBook RE, for remote education. Ideally, something in the $599 (WiFi only) and $699 (WiFi + LTE) would hit a sweet spot without having to cost reduce materials or build quality.
    First off, schools buy Chromebooks at bulk rates for as little as $80 a unit and rarely over $150 a unit unless their procurement people are terrible. Also even the #1  Chromebook sold commercially to consumers this year starts at $279. So offering an entry level MacBook that costs more than 5 times the ones that schools buy and twice what a rather well-built and decent performing consumer one costs accomplishes what?

Second, thinking that because the iPad Air starts at $599 you will be able to do the same with a MacBook Air is ... strange. Say the "remote learning edition" only requires 64 GB of storage. Since it won't be doing much in the way of local processing, what on earth would be the purpose of an A14 chip and macOS on what is going to be a cloudbook anyway? But I will grant that to you. You will also need a 13.3' Retina screen instead of a 10.9' screen (costs more even though it isn't touchscreen), a keyboard with trackpad and 2 USB-C ports. You are right back at $749 easy. And that is with 64 GB storage. At 256 GB you would have ... what a MacBook Air currently costs. Or just about. 

People, please quit speculating that Apple is going to save all this money by dumping an Intel Core i3 chip that is in Windows and ChromeOS 2-in-1s (meaning 1080p touchscreens with 270' hinge bodies) that cost like $550, and cost $450 for devices that match the MBA form factor (nontouch screens and traditional clamshell hinges). If anything, the 5nm A14 costs more than what Intel charges for their 10nm Core i3.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 31 of 57
    ronnronn Posts: 658member
    My poor MBA just turned 5 last week. It needs to be put out of commission soon. I'm buying something after next week's event. I want it to be the Apple Silicon Mac. I'm only worried about size as I prefer something that is light and portable enough that will fit in a smallish case.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 57
    Oh boy just like the original iMac...coloured Macs. I'll Take a Bondi Blue for now and then later a Tangerine iMac.  ;)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 57
    I would be interested in Appleinsider doing a little speculation about differentiation of products.

If they release 13 inch air and two 13 inch pros how do they differentiate?  With iPhones there has been no differentiation of new products by chip.  A14 across the board.  Differ. has been on screen size and camera quality and to a lesser extend storage and ram.  3 13 inch are the same screen size and camera not that important.  

Current MacBooks differ by graphics "card", clock speed of chip, and touch bar and number of USB ports. 

So what do people think will differentiate 3 13 inch MacBooks- especially of Apple follows iPhone and iPad example and puts same CPU in every model.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 57
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,375member
    cloudguy said:
    Look, an iPad Air with 256 GB of storage costs $750. dewme said:

First off, schools buy Chromebooks at bulk rates for as little as $80 a unit and rarely over $150 a unit unless their procurement people are terrible. Also even the #1  Chromebook sold commercially to consumers this year starts at $279. So offering an entry level MacBook that costs more than 5 times the ones that schools buy and twice what a rather well-built and decent performing consumer one costs accomplishes what?

Second, thinking that because the iPad Air starts at $599 you will be able to do the same with a MacBook Air is ... strange. Say the "remote learning edition" only requires 64 GB of storage. Since it won't be doing much in the way of local processing, what on earth would be the purpose of an A14 chip and macOS on what is going to be a cloudbook anyway? But I will grant that to you. You will also need a 13.3' Retina screen instead of a 10.9' screen (costs more even though it isn't touchscreen), a keyboard with trackpad and 2 USB-C ports. You are right back at $749 easy. And that is with 64 GB storage. At 256 GB you would have ... what a MacBook Air currently costs. Or just about. 

People, please quit speculating that Apple is going to save all this money by dumping an Intel Core i3 chip that is in Windows and ChromeOS 2-in-1s (meaning 1080p touchscreens with 270' hinge bodies) that cost like $550, and cost $450 for devices that match the MBA form factor (nontouch screens and traditional clamshell hinges). If anything, the 5nm A14 costs more than what Intel charges for their 10nm Core i3.
    So you're saying that middle and high school students are getting by with $80 Chromebooks? If this is true, then I can see why Apple wouldn't want to venture into that market. Apple can afford to lose a little to further its educational initiatives, but I don't see them going after the $80 Chromebooks. I'm not a Chromebook expert, but when I look at reviews like this one (https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-chromebooks-for-kids) a $599 MacBook that's a full fledged computer seems within reach of some folks who are willing to spend nearly as much for a better quality Chromebook.

I never said anything about a MacBook Air, I'm talking something akin to the old (now discontinued) white plastic MacBook, but in multiple colors. I do think there is a place for an "SE" flavor of MacBook, just like there is an iPhone SE. There's no need to cripple it with 64 GB storage. I have nothing against iPad, but it's still not equivalent to macOS, especially as an entry level or middle/high school educational platform. 

There's a reason I said "crazy," because there are times when applying conventional wisdom can talk you out of going after new opportunities. Apple obviously does not need to do anything in certain segments of the educational sector to continue to rake in boatloads of profits across its whole business. We've seen that some educators have continued to make big iPad purchases in spite of Apple's inability to compete at all in some sectors against Chromebooks. But at some point, Apple may decide that there are parts of the market where they'll have to temper their profit expectations and make some concessions in order to attract new customers to their ecosystem, preferably at an early age where the customer lifetime value ROI has its greatest potential. If they can do that while helping to mitigate some of the effects of an existential problem, all the better.
    edited November 2020 rezwitswilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 57
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Maybe there will be more than just one more thing and the title was misleading??
    That’s what I was thinking too. In addition to new Macs, I wouldn’t be surprised if Apple dumped all of the rumored devices on us all at once. AirTags, AirPods Studio, Apple TV, et all. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 57
    I’m really hoping for the new ATV with console quality power, new remote and an Apple game controller, FaceTime, and U1 among other things. It will be a perfect time to rename the device to cut down on the confusion of the various Apple TV monikers, so I’m predicting it will be called Apple HomeHub. You heard it here first, lol. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 57
    Didn’t Kuo say that the AirPods X could end up being a Beats product? And didn’t Apple just quietly release Beats Flex last week? Is it possible that this is what he was referring to? Can we put a pin in the AirPods X rumors now?
    williamlondonronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 57
    Oh boy just like the original iMac...coloured Macs. I'll Take a Bondi Blue for now and then later a Tangerine iMac.  ;)
    Sorry. Those models are sold out. Can I interest you in flower power?
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 57
    Japhey said:
    That’s what I was thinking too. In addition to new Macs, I wouldn’t be surprised if Apple dumped all of the rumored devices on us all at once. AirTags, AirPods Studio, Apple TV, et all. 
    “But wait, there’s ONE MORE THING!” (Over and over and over)
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 57
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    THIS is the big one we're been waiting for!! A freaking event every month and ending with a BANG!!

I'm predicting an hour of the rumored products and updates then an hour of those sweet, sick, sexy new Macs!

Xed said:
    MacPro said:
    Use of the phrase 'One more thing' by Apple is a sign this is a paradigm-shifting event, that phrase is sacred.
    I can see why you'd say that, but I think it's because in this pandemic year of virtual events, it's an atypical 3rd event in 3 months. I personally will not read anymore into it, even if we get AirTags or other new product categories—we already know that we're getting a Macs with a new processing architecture.

Macs ARE the "One more thing"!!
    williamlondonwatto_cobra