Apple releases macOS Big Sur with redesign, Safari updates and more

Comments

• Reply 41 of 124
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Moving along much faster now in Montreal.  

UPDATE: "Installation failed. An error occurred while installing updates."  - Although, the download never finishes, so the updating is never even started.
    edited November 2020 flyingdpwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 124
    40 minutes total here in Kelowna BC
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 124
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    keithw said:
    Downloading but VERY slow. Only 1.03GB out of 12.18GB in over an hour.  It says 20 hours remaining.  Come on Apple, you can do better than this!
    To be fair I am seeing 10x that speed. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 124
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    Before I jumped in the shower it was at 251.7 MBs, right before I left the house it was 251.7 MBs. I am now at work and that machine is at home, which I presume is still at 251.7 MBs. We'll see what it says when I get home this evening.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 124
    and its crapped out again :-( 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 124
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    Could all the comments about slow downloads have anything to do with so many people is a work at home situation with their job?   Oh and people think they need to stream 4K movie\videos too?  Amazing to think about the load going on to keep the internet working.  We are lucky things are as good as they are given the pandemic?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 124
    Its very very slow

saying 15 hours to download.
    --

now 18 hours

I have a 600mb/s connection on fibre, this is going to be an all-nighter I think
    Same speed but mine says 2 days 😂😂
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 124
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    This disastrous Big Sur download makes me yearn for days of CD installs. 
  • Reply 49 of 124
    Craziness! 3 machines on a 500/500 connection, all repeatedly failing out, the most progress has been 11 GB.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 124
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Mine got to 12.18gb... then nothing for half an hour, restarted and now to 2.4gb. Weird, never had an issue before with updates.
  • Reply 51 of 124
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    spice-boy said:
    This disastrous Big Sur download makes me yearn for days of CD installs. 
    What's a CD? Just kidding! Remember the days where a Mac OS 8 was on like 27 something floppies?  :D
    elijahgmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 124
    Has anyone actually managed to install it yet?
  • Reply 53 of 124
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    I had it, I had it!  But then I lost it.
    elijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 124
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Wow, they really screwed up the release of Big Sur. Nearly 3 hours later and still not working.
    flyingdp
  • Reply 55 of 124
    It is looking as if Apple has pulled the download off and it is no longer available. I had several failed downloads in the past few hours, now clicking on "Get" or "Download" whether initiated from Software Update or the App Store results in an instantaneous "Failed to Install" message.

Having another cup of tea. :(
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 124
    its now crapped out about a dozen time, most i got was about 8 or 9 gb before it did.

Now it fails immediately i try again.
    agilealtitudeOutdoorAppDeveloperflyingdprezwitswatto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 124
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    M68000 said:
    Could all the comments about slow downloads have anything to do with so many people is a work at home situation with their job?   Oh and people think they need to stream 4K movie\videos too?  Amazing to think about the load going on to keep the internet working.  We are lucky things are as good as they are given the pandemic?
    Welcome to the new society where people have to have it now, and not wait.  Guess it says a lot about them not having anything better to do while they "work from home".

mobirdStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 124
    its now crapped out about a dozen time, most i got was about 8 or 9 gb before it did.

Now it fails immediately i try again.

Same thing here!!
    flyingdprezwitswatto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 124
    Perhaps the "new" MacMini they were using as the only server to provide updates to the entire world blew a fuse?

Big fail for them, but I am sure they will sort it out in time for New Year celebrations in 2022!
  • Reply 60 of 124
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Found this while trying to figure out how to get Software Update to re-download Big Sur:

<pkg-ref id="UpdateBrain.zip" packageIdentifier="com.apple.zip.UpdateBrain"/>

I guess my brain couldn't handle the update.

edited November 2020 s.metcalfbikerdudewatto_cobra