Tim Sweeney compares Epic's App Store fight with Apple to civil rights movement

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2020
Vocal Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney says cooperating with Apple's 30% charge is "collusion to restrain competition" and Epic has mounted a challenge similar to "civil rights fights."

Epic CEO compares a financial lawsuit to the civil rights movement
Epic CEO compares a financial lawsuit to the civil rights movement

The comparison came during an interview with the Wall Street Journal at the Dealbook summit, following a move by Apple to reduce commissions for most developers -- but Epic is outside of the parameters that Apple has set. Apple on Wednesday announced that the company would reduce App Store commissions for developers being paid by Apple less than one million dollars a year to 15%.

Many independent developers celebrated the announcement citing that it was a long time coming and would boost their ability to work as full-time developers. Larger companies have not shared in the excitement, with Epic's CEO being the most prominent voice.

"It's everybody's duty to fight. It's not just an option that somebody's lawyers might decide, but it's actually our duty to fight that," Sweeney started. "If we had adhered to all of Apple's terms and, you know, taken their 30% payment processing fees and passed the cost along to our customers, then that would be Epic colluding with Apple to restrain competition on iOS and to inflate prices for consumers."

Epic Games started the lawsuit with the intention of suing Apple and pushing the company to open up their platform for third-party stores and payment platforms. Sweeney, and by extension, Epic, has inferred then declared that they are fighting a fight for the little guy, and are trying to assist the smaller developers who cannot go toe-to-toe with Apple.

"So going along with Apple's agreement is what is wrong. And that's why Epic mounted a challenge to this, and you know you can hear of any, and [inaudible] to civil rights fights, where there were actual laws on the books, and the laws were wrong," added Sweeney. "And people disobeyed them, and it was not wrong to disobey them because to go along with them would be collusion to make them status quo."

To solidify his position, Sweeney assured TechCrunch readers that his quote from the event is accurate, and he intentionally meant to directly compare the financial challenges of multi-billion dollar companies to the civil rights movement involving the rights of equality and justice for humankind.

It's a good article. Hey critics, please read what I said and tell me if it's actually wrong: When the rules were wrongful, it was right to disobey them. That's the comparison to the civil rights movement. pic.twitter.com/WMomQXwEjr

-- Tim Sweeney (@TimSweeneyEpic)

In replies and follow up tweets, he reinforces the claim stating that "the comparison wasn't to the wrongs being fought - there's no comparison." He clarifies by stating "that it is right to disobey rules that are wrongful," holding the civil rights movement as an example of people breaking rules to fight for what is right.

Sweeney goes on to say that it isn't even about the commission, it is about fairness. Specifically, Sweeney continues his declarations that Apple must allow third-party stores and payment processes to even begin to assuage Epic's desires.

Epic Games has formed a coalition of developers and companies that includes other anti-Apple proponents like Spotify. Epic has started the lawsuit fresh in Australia as well, hoping to establish a foothold by establishing legal precedent.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    Just because you don't like something or disagree with something doesn't make it wrong.
    mike1chiaviclauyycItsDeCiawilliamlondonpulseimagesronnmagman1979baconstangcornchip
  • Reply 2 of 40
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    Tim Sweeney is mentally deranged.  Comparing standard online digital store terms with the civil rights movement as his defense for breaking his business contract.  Unreal.  He is the definition of a nut job

Tencent gave him just enough rope to hang himself and take Fortnite off the competitive playing field
    mike1chiastompyviclauyycjibtmaywilliamlondonforegoneconclusiondewmepulseimages
  • Reply 3 of 40
    Oh boy. 

This guy needs help. Serious help.
    CuJoYYCjibtmaypulseimagesronnmagman1979trustnoone00cornchipdysamoriarazorpit
  • Reply 4 of 40
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    f**k you Sweeney.  You distort the Civil Rights movement to suit your agenda?  Shame on you.  You're an embarrassment.

I will do nothing to support Epic games.  I hope others follow.  Sweeney is a spoiled man-child and needs to go away.
    Cesar Battistini MazieroCuJoYYCjibOfertmaywilliamlondondewmeagilealtitudepulseimagesronn
  • Reply 5 of 40
    Wow, it’s just like the civil rights movement except the part that made it the civil rights movement, I understand now. Apparently greed does make you stupid. 
    chiastompyCuJoYYCjibOfertmaywilliamlondondewmepulseimagesronn
  • Reply 6 of 40
    I imagine an angel creating this guy, and he asks:
    Angel: How obnoxious do you want this one? 

God: YES 
    viclauyycjibtmaypulseimagescornchiprazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 40
    Epic CEO compares a financial lawsuit to the civil rights movement.
    oh NO NO NO NO NO
    unless we can throw bricks at him.
    CuJoYYCjibOfertmaypulseimagesmagman1979dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 40
    I am just not sure where this guy is coming from. I could complain that his selling price for the games are too expensive ! He could complain that bank fees are to high. He chooses to distribute his games through the Apple platform and there is a cost that has been there from the first day. If you don’t like it use another platform.
    CuJoYYCpulseimageswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 40
    Really, what an ass!! Epic is NOT a person of color, who were denied the basic tenements of human rights.   Tim and Epic Games were not hung from trees without due process or pressured into marginality of Segregation.  How dare he, I hope Apple rips them the hell up.  I was kinda feeling sorry for Epic.  But not anymore.
    edited November 2020 CuJoYYCviclauyycOfertmaybloggerblogpulseimagesmagman1979baconstangdysamoriaBeats
  • Reply 10 of 40
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    lauriel said:
    I am just not sure where this guy is coming from. I could complain that his selling price for the games are too expensive ! He could complain that bank fees are to high. He chooses to distribute his games through the Apple platform and there is a cost that has been there from the first day. If you don’t like it use another platform.
    It isn’t complicated. Epic makes a lot of money on the App Store. More than other places. It’s the easiest place compared with other on line stores to make money for his company.
    But he would like to make even more with even less effort. Moar! Moar! Moar!

Some people get by 
    With a little understanding 
    Some people get by 
    With a whole lot more
    I don't know
    Why you gotta be so undemanding
    I want more

edited November 2020 CuJoYYCtmaypulseimagestrustnoone00dysamoriaFileMakerFellerwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 11 of 40
    I agree,  Tim Cook is a modern day MLK.  Oh wait, that wasn't his point?
    tmaybaconstangBeatsFileMakerFellerwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 12 of 40
    Justin Bieber took advantage of victims before Tim Sweeney. Justin wrote in the Anne Frank Museum Guestbook: "Truly inspiring to be able to come here. Anne was a great girl. Hopefully she would have been a belieber." A typical online response to Justin's statement was "How does he manage to think about his own fame and success attending a historical place of such tragedy and injustice...Like that... I can't believe I wasted any words on this guy." The same sentiment applies to Sweeney here. However the museum defended Bieber by saying, "He's 19. It's a crazy life he's living, he didn't mean bad… and also it's nice that he made the effort, he didn't have to come." Did Sweeney ever visit the US Civil Rights Museum? https://www.civilrightsmuseum.org If not, Sweeney is worse than Bieber.
    OfertmaywilliamlondonpulseimagesdysamoriaBeatswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 13 of 40
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    Civil rights are a greater and much more important human struggle than the insignificant haggling about fees a video game company pays to another company to use its digital platform. Absurd comparison. Those that have fought hard for civil rights should be very offended at this comparison. Boycott Epic & Fortnite and demand an apology from this twit.
    OfertmaywilliamlondondewmepulseimagesDogpersonmagman1979baconstangdysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 40
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    To me Apple allied forces fighting against Epic's Nazi troops.
    tmaywilliamlondonpulseimageswatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 40
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    “I have a dream that my four little children will one day play a video game, judged not by their ability to sell virtual currency, but by the content of their bank account after getting digital stores to reduce their commissions from 30% to the artificially defined percentage that I have determined to be appropriate based on what I want it to be.” - Tim Sweeney

A true icon of our times.
    williamlondondewmepulseimageslarryjwgeorge kaplanwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Wow, this guy can go fly a kite because he so missed what they were fighting for with the civil rights movement. Further studying needed…
    Dogpersondysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Another billionaire riding on the sufferings and struggles of others so they can pad their pockets. What a low life!
    agilealtitudelightvox88baconstangdysamoriaglennhwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 18 of 40
    Perhaps he should organise a "Million Tears March" on Washington to make his demands for even *more* profits.
    pulseimageslightvox88focherDogpersonbaconstangdysamoriaFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 40
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    What a tool. I wish we lived in a time where the general public looked upon this kind of behavior, by adults no less, with utter distain and disgust. Unfortunately it's become normalized and there are far too many examples of it happening all around us. Now it's being repeated and is spreading like a virus.  
    pulseimageslightvox88williamlondonfocherDogpersonlarryjwbaconstangdysamoriaglennhDAalseth
  • Reply 20 of 40
    You can disagree with aspects of the walled garden, but civil rights are not anywhere near the right comparison. The rules don’t hurt a vulnerable protected class and we should not water down the importance of civil rights with something like this.

I worry about the App Store profit structure incentivizing behavior that is anti-consumer such as out-of-app signup. However, these are not fundamental rights.

cornchipdysamoriawatto_cobra