Apple's MagSafe wallet review: finally solves the unified iPhone and wallet issue

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    GeeAyeGeeAye Posts: 39unconfirmed, member
    lkrupp said:
    GeeAye said:
    As a vegetarian - which is not a rare thing in this world - my issue is the leather. I can understand the issue with silicon being grippy but I'd buy a knock off faux leather one even if it had a limited life span. I still like the wallets which cover the screen as my experience is that my screen stays mark free and it survives face first drops. They fold back behind the phone so I'm not sure about why that would make one feel silly using it.

I recognize your concern and believe it is valid.   For myself, I rationalize the use of leather by telling myself that the poor cow wasn't murdered to get it's skin but for it's meat to feed the carnivores who mistakenly believe they need meat to be healthy and strong.
    Your superiority complex is impressive. What must it be like on your pedestal looking down at we dumbass, Neanderthal  carnivores.

I find this comment offensive and unwarranted.
    MacQuadra840avJapheyGeorgeBMacDetnator
  • Reply 42 of 56
    lkrupp said:
    GeeAye said:
    As a vegetarian - which is not a rare thing in this world - my issue is the leather. I can understand the issue with silicon being grippy but I'd buy a knock off faux leather one even if it had a limited life span. I still like the wallets which cover the screen as my experience is that my screen stays mark free and it survives face first drops. They fold back behind the phone so I'm not sure about why that would make one feel silly using it.

I recognize your concern and believe it is valid.   For myself, I rationalize the use of leather by telling myself that the poor cow wasn't murdered to get it's skin but for it's meat to feed the carnivores who mistakenly believe they need meat to be healthy and strong.
    Your superiority complex is impressive. What must it be like on your pedestal looking down at we dumbass, Neanderthal  carnivores.
    Your comment is just as inappropriate as his.
    edited November 2020
  • Reply 43 of 56

GeeAye said:
    No one is forcing you to buy it.  
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 44 of 56
    So the article reads like a big fluff piece written for Apple's benefit.  How much did Apple pay you to write such a positive review?  Sorry, no one buys it.  When there are multiple reviews by different people that all come to the same conclusion, 'this joke of a wallet is easy to lose because it tends to slide off the phone too easily', you can't suddenly claim they are all wrong because it didn't happen to you.  First of all, you should never keep your wallet in your back pocket.  Sitting on your wallet will give you back pain after an extended period of time.  So the wallet in the back pocket excuse is just dumb.  That is not a reason to buy this product.  Second, losing your wallet is something no one wants to experience.  This product will almost guarantee the loss of your wallet, especially when you are out at a bar having drinks...which is when people leave their wallet at home and take their most important cards with them in some silly contraption like this.  This is not a 4.5 star rated product.  It is grossly overpriced, serves no valuable purpose, and is highly likely to get lost by falling off the phone.  Next time do an unbiased review and someone might take you seriously in the future.
  • Reply 45 of 56
    Mine fits three cards perfectly: one credit card (in case there isn't a contactless payment system that works with my AW some place I want to shop), my drivers' license, and the key access card for my place of work. Clips on beautifully to my 12 Max Pro. And, the combo of pacific blue phone and poppy-colored wallet is quite pleasing to the eye.
  • Reply 46 of 56

GeeAye said:

My comment didn't pertain to my choice of buying it but to the manufacturing of a similar item made of another material and I drew on the author's comment about silicon being problematic and I expressed puzzlement about his problems with book style wallets. I then gave an opinion about my preference .My comment was not a complaint and I hope anyone from apple would not see it as one. I'm sure if they want to sell items like these in certain markets they will be thinking about materials.

GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 47 of 56
    The magnetic wallet seems like a good solution for those few cards/tickets that I can't switch over into digital versions. (E.g. my drivers license.)

I get that the wallet can slide off, as has been shown and I appreciate that concern - but not to echo the "you're holding it wrong" meme, it seems like the purpose of this wallet is for those times when carrying just a phone and wallet in hand. This is not without precedent, women's fashion is notoriously pocket-free and the iPhone silicone cases are very obviously not pocket-friendly.

I don't really buy into the hard-line criticism that there is some major flaw with the wallet because it's removable. I think users are mindful enough to recognise the limitations of the product. (There are plenty of phone cases with non-removable wallets as alternatives.)
  • Reply 48 of 56
    Mine fits three cards perfectly: one credit card (in case there isn't a contactless payment system that works with my AW some place I want to shop), my drivers' license, and the key access card for my place of work. Clips on beautifully to my 12 Max Pro. And, the combo of pacific blue phone and poppy-colored wallet is quite pleasing to the eye.

Thanks!
    That's good to know.   Do you have difficulty getting the cards out -- as the review indicated when the wallet is new?
    Do you have to remove the wallet to get your cards out?   And, if so, is that OK?   Or is it awkward trying to juggle phone, wallet and card all at the same time?
    And, do you find it gets knocked off easily as the review indicated others are accusing it of?
  • Reply 49 of 56
    GeeAye said:

GeeAye said:

My comment didn't pertain to my choice of buying it but to the manufacturing of a similar item made of another material and I drew on the author's comment about silicon being problematic and I expressed puzzlement about his problems with book style wallets. I then gave an opinion about my preference .My comment was not a complaint and I hope anyone from apple would not see it as one. I'm sure if they want to sell items like these in certain markets they will be thinking about materials.

Because someone flipped out (it seems to be the fashionable thing to do these days!) does not mean that there was anything wrong with your post.

There are a growing many throughout the world who hold your beliefs and convictions.  And, as the destructive forces unleashed by animal agriculture become increasingly apparent, that number will continue to grow.

• Reply 50 of 56
    The magnetic wallet seems like a good solution for those few cards/tickets that I can't switch over into digital versions. (E.g. my drivers license.)

I get that the wallet can slide off, as has been shown and I appreciate that concern - but not to echo the "you're holding it wrong" meme, it seems like the purpose of this wallet is for those times when carrying just a phone and wallet in hand. This is not without precedent, women's fashion is notoriously pocket-free and the iPhone silicone cases are very obviously not pocket-friendly.

I don't really buy into the hard-line criticism that there is some major flaw with the wallet because it's removable. I think users are mindful enough to recognise the limitations of the product. (There are plenty of phone cases with non-removable wallets as alternatives.)
    It seems to me that, even if the wallet detaches from the phone while sliding it into a pocket, that the problem would be fixable by remembering to always slide the phone into the pocket with the screen facing outwards and the wallet towards the body.   That way, if it did slide off, it would simply slide into the pocket and no real harm would be done (except for the heart attack when you pull the phone back out of your pocket and find your wallet "gone" -- until you discover it in you pocket!)

• Reply 51 of 56
    Damn, some people really get triggered by the mere existence of us vegetarians and vegans.  :D

I can have all kinds of opinions about wattage and whatever without the people disagreeing making it personal, but question the use of leather in a product and people suddenly feel an urge to discuss the shape of their teeth, and whether or not their dinner was tasty.  :/
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 52 of 56
    svanstrom said:
    Damn, some people really get triggered by the mere existence of us vegetarians and vegans.  :D

I can have all kinds of opinions about wattage and whatever without the people disagreeing making it personal, but question the use of leather in a product and people suddenly feel an urge to discuss the shape of their teeth, and whether or not their dinner was tasty.  :/

Just to be clear, in case I wasn't, I didn't question the use of leather per se, but was pointing out that myself and others will find it problematic.

Since posting I've found lots of alternatives on the market to consider, just not from Apple.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 53 of 56
    GeeAye said:
    svanstrom said:

Just to be clear, in case I wasn't, I didn't question the use of leather per se, but was pointing out that myself and others will find it problematic.

Since posting I've found lots of alternatives on the market to consider, just not from Apple.
    When I a couple of years ago got the leather folio from Apple I was ok with compromising about leather when there were no equally good other options; and at least back then that folio was the only one on the market with that sleep/wake functionality (which Apple since then seem to have stopped talking about; probably because FaceID and that whole attention thing).

But lately it's become so easy being vegan that it really stands out when a company like Apple still offer products that without any apparent reason isn't vegan friendly.
    GeorgeBMaccrowley
  • Reply 54 of 56
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    svanstrom said:
    GeeAye said:
    svanstrom said:

When I a couple of years ago got the leather folio from Apple I was ok with compromising about leather when there were no equally good other options; and at least back then that folio was the only one on the market with that sleep/wake functionality (which Apple since then seem to have stopped talking about; probably because FaceID and that whole attention thing).

But lately it's become so easy being vegan that it really stands out when a company like Apple still offer products that without any apparent reason isn't vegan friendly.

Without criticizing Apple, I would agree.   That their offering animal products even though alternative products would have worked as well is out of character.   In addition, going animal free would contribute to their commitment to be carbon neutral since animal agriculture is a significant contributor to climate change.

Again, its not to criticize them but to point out how inconsistent it is with their values and policies.  I was surprised to this from them.
    crowley
  • Reply 55 of 56
    The Magsafe wallet is typical Apple. Beautifully executed according to their perspective of what they think I need rather than what I want. I've been using phone wallets for as many years as other manufacturers have made them. Now finally Apple's spin. The problem is I much prefer functionality over technical prowess, in other words give me a front facing ejection slot so I can extract credit card without removing the wallet from the phone. I'm much less concerned about RFID protection and much more interested in speed and convenience everything I'm in a checkout line and need a card. That said I also want to be able to easily charge the phone and easily removing the wallet is a plus. The answer for me was cutting my own thumb slot on the front of the wallet. Cosmetically a B-/C+ solution but an A+ for new functionality in my hands.