iPhone 12 claims US sales crown, while iPhone 12 mini stumbles

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,687member
    lkrupp said:
    So much for theory that there is a large market for small phones. Just because a few squawkers on tech blogs said there was doesn’t mean there is. Tech blogs are about as far away from reality as it gets. 
    That's definitely one way of looking at it.  The other way of looking at it is that the iPhone SE 2020 stole a lot of the thunder of the 12 mini with respect to small iPhone sizes

9 of Top 10 U.S. Smartphone Activations on Christmas Day 2020 Were iPhones - MacRumors
    That is exactly it. If size and being on iOS were two of your must have characteristics, the SE will have definitely taken the wind of the Mini's sales. There is absolutely no question about that. 

Going forward, the Mini series will have its place but no one, not now or even previously, claimed it would be a best seller. 

One of Apple's major handicaps has been having so few options for consumers. Since 2017, that has been reversed and now we have a far better spread to choose from. 

It was a wise move and not only that, they now also have their widest spread in pricing ever and offering better colour options/finishes too. 

Good things to celebrate. 
  • Reply 22 of 32
    Hank2.0Hank2.0 Posts: 151member
    Beats said:

iPhone 12 mini is 7.7mm taller and 5.6mm wider than iPhone 5s. That amounts to about 16% increase in footprint. BUT, it has 63% more display area than iPhone 5s. 
    When I replaced my venerable iPhone SE (1st gen), I did not buy a technically emasculated, bloated sized, cheap "new" SE.

I bought my iPhone 12 mini for it's technical chops and compact size. Period.

The only thing I don't like is the "mini" tag. It cheapens and understates the iPhone's value and capability. The original SE wasn't a technically warmed over 5; it was better than the 6 and almost as good as the 7 (and in some ways better). IMO Apple screwed up making the "SE" tag to mean "cheap with older tech". If any iPhone deserves to be called "Special", it's the 12 mini.
    pulseimages
  • Reply 23 of 32
    The smaller battery in the Mini hurts it. It only has 2 more hours of video playback than my 1st generation iPhone SE. 
  • Reply 24 of 32
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Beats said:

The Mini is freaking GIGANTIC!!

I can't tell you how many compliments I get when I pull out my iPhone 5s. Just today someone I know who has the latest iKnockoff told me "where do you think I can get one of those?"

I've been waiting for an iPhione 5 sized all screen iPhone forever. When I saw how large the mini is I shook my head in disapppointment.

lkrupp said:
    So much for theory that there is a large market for small phones. Just because a few squawkers on tech blogs said there was doesn’t mean there is. Tech blogs are about as far away from reality as it gets. 

Because the iPhone "Mini" is freaking HUGE. For years we've been wanting something like this:

These would have been a massive hit in Japan where mobile gaming and Kawaii(cute) has been in since the 1980s.

The current Mini is no smaller than the 2020 iPhone SE I believe.
    Compare Apple iPhone 12 mini vs. Apple iPhone 5s - GSMArena.com 

iPhone 12 mini is 7.7mm taller and 5.6mm wider than iPhone 5s. That amounts to about 16% increase in footprint. BUT, it has 63% more display area than iPhone 5s. 

No sh*t. That's why an all screen 5s would have been ideal. The 5s is NOT all screen which is why you get the 63% more screen number.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Hank2.0 said:
    Beats said:

When I replaced my venerable iPhone SE (1st gen), I did not buy a technically emasculated, bloated sized, cheap "new" SE.

I bought my iPhone 12 mini for it's technical chops and compact size. Period.

The only thing I don't like is the "mini" tag. It cheapens and understates the iPhone's value and capability. The original SE wasn't a technically warmed over 5; it was better than the 6 and almost as good as the 7 (and in some ways better). IMO Apple screwed up making the "SE" tag to mean "cheap with older tech". If any iPhone deserves to be called "Special", it's the 12 mini.

The "Mini" name is so stupid because it's huge. It's bigger that all legacy iPhones.

If it were up to me, I'd make a 5s SCREEN- sized iPhone, just the size of the screen with a notch. Truly pocket-sized.
    edited January 2021
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Beats said:
    Beats said:

The Mini is freaking GIGANTIC!!

I can't tell you how many compliments I get when I pull out my iPhone 5s. Just today someone I know who has the latest iKnockoff told me "where do you think I can get one of those?"

I've been waiting for an iPhione 5 sized all screen iPhone forever. When I saw how large the mini is I shook my head in disapppointment.

lkrupp said:

Because the iPhone "Mini" is freaking HUGE. For years we've been wanting something like this:

These would have been a massive hit in Japan where mobile gaming and Kawaii(cute) has been in since the 1980s.

The current Mini is no smaller than the 2020 iPhone SE I believe.
    Compare Apple iPhone 12 mini vs. Apple iPhone 5s - GSMArena.com 

No sh*t. That's why an all screen 5s would have been ideal. The 5s is NOT all screen which is why you get the 63% more screen number.
    You are still NOT getting the point. iPhone 12 mini is JUST 16% larger compared to iPhone 5s which is NOT a significant increase in footprint. iPhone 12 Pro Max is 73% larger  compared to iPhone 5s, which is a significant increase in footprint. And how are you so SURE that full screen iPhone 5s is possible, without even accounting for the notch to keep the FaceID? iPhone 12 mini is THE BEST that Apple designers could come up with, in terms of designing the smallest phone possible while the balancing features to be included (FaceID).
  • Reply 27 of 32
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    And how are you so SURE that full screen iPhone 5s is possible, without even accounting for the notch to keep the FaceID? iPhone 12 mini is THE BEST that Apple designers could come up with, in terms of designing the smallest phone possible while the balancing features to be included (FaceID).
    How are you so sure of your own statements?  You don't know what Apple's priorities were.

Why wouldn't a full screen display in a 5S size form factor be possible?  Bezels on the Apple Watch are basically the same as an iPhone 12, so size of the device would not appear to be a problem, and the notch size would also appear to fit on to that form factor with room to spare.

I'm not unhappy with the size of the mini, but yeah, I'd probably go for an even smaller one if available.
    edited January 2021
  • Reply 28 of 32
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    Got a mini yesterday - coolest iPhone since the original SE. Just beautifully constructed in every respect, and the perfect size. Plus, with the reduced borders, the effective screen size is at least 50% larger than the original SE (noted others say 63%). So compact, powerful and magnificently engineered.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    crowley said:
    And how are you so SURE that full screen iPhone 5s is possible, without even accounting for the notch to keep the FaceID? iPhone 12 mini is THE BEST that Apple designers could come up with, in terms of designing the smallest phone possible while the balancing features to be included (FaceID).
    How are you so sure of your own statements?  You don't know what Apple's priorities were.

Why wouldn't a full screen display in a 5S size form factor be possible?  Bezels on the Apple Watch are basically the same as an iPhone 12, so size of the device would not appear to be a problem, and the notch size would also appear to fit on to that form factor with room to spare.

I'm not unhappy with the size of the mini, but yeah, I'd probably go for an even smaller one if available.
    Agreed, I can't be so sure of my statements. I should have added "probably" to make it clear. Having said that, my main premise was this - i.e. iPhone 12 mini is NOT as HUGE as the OP was making it out to be.
    avon b7pulseimages
  • Reply 30 of 32

In the stack in the above picture:
    top: iPhone SE gen1
    middle: iPhone 12 mini
    bottom: iPhone 7

The iPhone 12 mini is closer in size to the 7 than it is the SE.  I would’ve preferred it to be closer to the 5/5S/SE size.
  • Reply 31 of 32

In the stack in the above picture:
    top: iPhone SE gen1
    middle: iPhone 12 mini
    bottom: iPhone 7

The iPhone 12 mini is closer in size to the 7 than it is the SE.  I would’ve preferred it to be closer to the 5/5S/SE size.
    We are splitting hairs, aren't we? Given a choice, everyone would prefer a different size than what is being offered by the OEMs. But the reality is this - ONLY Apple is making "small" smartphones (iPhone 8, iPhone 12 mini) which are "usable" and loaded with most of the important features (high end SoC ensuring great performance, great display, good camera) without much of a compromise. There is NO OEM (not even 1 among the 100+ OEMs) who makes a "usable" small smartphone for the masses. Sony used to be an exception few years ago, even they have given up now. Given this background, iPhone 12 mini should be cut some slack for what it offers (at a reasonable price) compared to the competition.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    jccjcc Posts: 326member
    This is absurd. It’s a survey of only 243 of buyers. That’s not accurate at at. I don’t believe it.
    edited January 2021