Release of 8K displays held up by ongoing supply chain disruptions

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2021
The release of 8K monitors using DisplayPort 2.0 was originally expected in late 2020, but standards body VESA says because of the worldwide impacts of the coronavirus, they are not expected now until some point later in 2021.

DisplayPort Alt Mode 2.0 brings a number of upgrades to USB4, which could arrive on Macs in 2020 or 2021.
DisplayPort Alt Mode 2.0 brings a number of upgrades to the USB4 protocol.

Almost two years since the standard for DisplayPort 2.0 was published and promised up to 16K monitors, none have gone on sale. Now the Video Electronic Standards Association (VESA) says they were delayed by the pandemic, but are coming in 2021.

"Monitors supporting DisplayPort 2.0 are currently in development, but none have been released to market yet," a VESA spokesperson told The Verge. "DisplayPort 2.0 is working now in new system chips that should appear in products later in 2021."

The pandemic meant that VESA's "Plugtests" events were cancelled. Typically both hardware developers and engineers test out systems and interoperability at Plugtests, and the events are key to the development of the displays.

"In 2020 VESA had no PlugTests, which has slowed the deployment of DisplayPort 2.0," said the VESA spokesperson. "VESA is now planning our next PlugTest for this Spring in Taiwan, so we expect to get this process rolling again."

Of all the multiple connectors and different ways of putting an image on a Mac screen, the forthcoming DisplayPort 2.0 is expected to offer more than high resolution. Beyond explicit 8K support, VESA's specification for DisplayPort 2.0 includes improved refresh rates, and HDR support.

The DisplayPort 2.0 spec is technically supported by the Thunderbolt ports on Apple Silicon Macs. It isn't clear if the first generation of Macs with M1 processors will support 8K displays, though.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    When you say DisplayPort 2.0 is supported on Apple  Silicon Mac, I assume that the M1 Macs won’t support 8K monitors ?  It would be strange to be able to drive an 8K monitor but not 2 displays.  Is it a hard limit on M1 Macs or something Apple with enable later I wonder ? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    bfranks said:
    When you say DisplayPort 2.0 is supported on Apple  Silicon Mac, I assume that the M1 Macs won’t support 8K monitors ?  It would be strange to be able to drive an 8K monitor but not 2 displays.  Is it a hard limit on M1 Macs or something Apple with enable later I wonder ? 
    You can apply that logic to the Pro Display XDR as well. The Pro Display XDR is 6016 x 3384 - over twenty million pixels. This is 10x the number of pixels as a single 1080p display.

The limit on displays isn't artificial, per se, and not so much related to pixel count, as it is to logic and memory addressing.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Howdy, where is it documented that the Thunderbolt ports on Apple Silicon Macs support DisplayPort 2.0?
    edited January 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Howdy, where is it documented that the Thunderbolt ports on Apple Silicon Macs support DisplayPort 2.0?
    My understanding is that support for the USB 4 spec requires it. So when Apple says the M1 Macs support “Thunderbolt / USB 4” it means they support DisplayPort 2.0. 
    edited January 2021 sillyputty1967jdb8167watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    https://vesa.org/featured-articles/vesa-releases-updated-displayport-alt-mode-spec-to-bring-displayport-2-0-performance-to-usb4-and-new-usb-type-c-devices/

sillyputty1967jdb8167watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    sflocal said:
    Here's what I got from Vesa: Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, there is not currently a certification program or end products for DisplayPort 2.0. The highest performance products currently on the market are of  DisplayPort1.4a. However, we are optimistic that DisplayPort 2.0 will be available in the near future. 

Sincerely,
    VESA
    roundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Why?
    Why an 8K monitor at all?
    Your eyes can't discern pixels at that resolution... even at 5K you don't see them. (assuming a person's eyes are far enough away that they can see the entire screen.)

So it's just for bragging rights that you sell/buy an 8k monitor? ... since there's no practical advantage to it.

What am i missing?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Once we reach 8K, have we reach that magic 300 ppi standard for print? I think I would be satisfied with a 32" display at around 300 ppi ;-)
    edited January 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Why?
    Your eyes can't discern pixels at that resolution... even at 5K you don't see them. (assuming a person's eyes are far enough away that they can see the entire screen.)

So it's just for bragging rights that you sell/buy an 8k monitor? ... since there's no practical advantage to it.

What am i missing?

A 32" 8K display (16:9 ratio) would be ~294 ppi -- a bit less than your average laser printer. Given that print technology well in excess of 1,200 to 2,400 dpi is out there for what I assume are good reasons, I would say there might be a "practical advantage" to 8K monitors for at least some people.

Also, the human eye can detect artifacts even on displays where one can't resolve the pixels, at least on static images. Look up vernier acuity or hyperacuity.

Personally, I am perfectly fine with the 218 ppi of my 5K iMac for CAD work and the usual office applications, but the thought of a 32" 8K monitor is enticing (as if it would be affordable anytime soon).

PS: Other than monitors, there are many applications in simulation, immersive theater, video walls, and large scale public displays that could benefit from 8K.
    edited January 2021 watto_cobrasillyputty1967
  • Reply 10 of 11
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Why?

What am i missing?

My Sony full-frame cameras shoot 6K stills, so at the very least a 6K monitor is required for editing the RAW images, 2K headroom is fine with me.
    watto_cobrasillyputty1967roundaboutnowcg27
  • Reply 11 of 11
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    How about a few more 5K display options first? Outside of the 27” LG Thunderbolt Display and Apple’s 6k XDR, are there any other 5K Retina displays for sale? I can’t find any. All the other 5ks are ultrawides with low PPI. 
    watto_cobrasillyputty1967