Samsung debuts $799 Galaxy S21, $1199 S21 Ultra

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2021
Samsung has unveiled three models in the Galaxy S21 lineup with new improvements like a better camera system, faster processor, and S Pen support on the largest model.

Credit: Samsung
Credit: Samsung

The lineup includes three Galaxy models: a 6.2-inch S21, a 6.7-inch S21 Plus, and a 6.8-inch S21 Ultra. All three devices sport a Snapdragon 888 or Exynos 2100 chipset, depending on region as well as 5G and Wi-Fi 6 support. The S21 and S21+ each has 8GB of RAM, while the S21 Ultra packs 12GB of RAM.

Samsung's S21 and S21 Plus devices features full high-resolution (FHD) displays and a triple-lens camera setup comprising a pair of 12MP lenses and a 64MP telephoto lens. The S21 has a 4,000 maH battery, while the S21+ has a 4,800 mAh battery. Both are available with 128GB or 256GB of internal storage.

The higher-tier Galaxy S21 Ultra also packs other improvements, including low-temperature polycrystalline silicon (LTPS) display that enables a variable 120Hz refresh rate. It also packs a four-lens camera setup with a 108MP main sensor; a 12MP ultra wide; and a pair of 10MP zoom lenses ranging from 3x to 10x optical zoom. It's available in 128GB, 256GB, and 512GB internal storage configurations.

In addition, the S21 Ultra features S Pen support for the first time in a Galaxy S-series model and a larger 5,000 mAh battery. Unlike its two smaller stablemates, the S21 Ultra also sports support for the faster and improved Wi-Fi 6E standard. Its display also features a peak brightness of 1,600 nits and a contrast ratio of 3 million-to-one.

Across the lineup, Samsung is also introducing other camera improvements. That includes 4K and 60 frame-per-second video recording for each camera and updates to the company's Super Steady stabilization system.

Samsung is also touting the new design of the smartphones, which feature a "Countour Cut Camera" housing that fits flush with the device's metal frame.

The Galaxy S21+ and Galaxy S21 Ultra also features Ultra Wideband (UWB) support, the same technology expected to power Apple's rumored "AirTags." Although Samsung unveiled a new $29.99 Smart Tag tracking system, it does not feature UWB.

Samsung has also taken a cue from Apple's iPhone lineup and is no longer packaging a power adapter in the box. Instead, the S21 will come with a USB-C cable. The company is also dropping the price of its 25W charging brick to $19.99, matching the price of Apple's 20W sold-separately adapter.

Color options vary by model. The Samsung Galaxy S21 comes in Phantom Violet, Phantom Gray, Phantom Pink, and Phantom White. The Galaxy S21+ comes in Phantom Violet, Phantom Silver, and Phantom Black. The premium S21 Ultra comes in Phantom Black and Phantom Silver.

The new lineup starts at $799 for the Galaxy S21, $999 for the Galaxy S21+, and $1,199 for the Galaxy S21 Ultra.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,375member
    The traffic light camera arrangement is ... interesting ... cough cough.
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,701member
    Nice improvements across the board and a few new things thrown in.

As I watched (I'm stuck in municipal lockdown) I felt a lot of déjà vu which was a clear sign sign that they are adding features that have been on the market for a while now.

Not a bad thing really, competition is good. 

The whole Phantom Black part was a yawn and reminded me of the flower power iMac explanation.

Not much groundbreaking news although there was a lot of focus on the 'outside world' and using the phone as a control centre for other devices. Tighter integration with Google and Microsoft  too.

Design is okay although perhaps it's time for the camera bump to go even if phones end up a little thicker. 
    edited January 2021 Beats
  • Reply 3 of 10
    avon b7 said:

As I watched (I'm stuck in municipal lockdown) I felt a lot of déjà vu which was a clear sign sign that they are adding features that have been on the market for a while now.

The whole Phantom Black part was a yawn and reminded me of the flower power iMac explanation.

Not much groundbreaking news although there was a lot of focus on the 'outside world' and using the phone as a control centre for other devices. Tighter integration with Google and Microsoft  too.

Design is okay although perhaps it's time for the camera bump to go even if phones end up a little thicker. 
    Few downgrades as well, that too on key areas such as display and camera in the non ultra phones. Does not look good, when the competition keeps getting more and more fierce. The only thing going for this line up in the Android world is - Trump imposed ban on Huawei for GMS which takes out a key competitor in favor of Samsung in the rest of the world excluding China where Samsung has literally no presence. Otherwise, this lineup would have been a disaster for Samsung. BBK sub brands, Honor and Xioami will still pose a significant problem for this lineup. 
  • Reply 4 of 10
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,701member
    avon b7 said:

Few downgrades as well, that too on key areas such as display and camera in the non ultra phones. Does not look good, when the competition keeps getting more and more fierce. The only thing going for this line up in the Android world is - Trump imposed ban on Huawei for GMS which takes out a key competitor in favor of Samsung in the rest of the world excluding China where Samsung has literally no presence. Otherwise, this lineup would have been a disaster for Samsung. BBK sub brands, Honor and Xioami will still pose a significant problem for this lineup. 
    Yes.

The Xiaomi Mi11 seems to be blazing a trail and early first impressions are very good. Sales are going well and it will get a global launch too. Definitely one to watch if the pricepoint for the rest of the world is as competitive as it is in China.

I'm not optimistic for the short term sales of Huawei but the P50 series is supposedly cued up for launch but probably in limited quantities. Last year they introduced the freeform lens and the liquid lens is rumoured for this year. 

Samsung (and Apple) will benefit from the disruption.

• Reply 5 of 10
    These are some of the most unattractive-looking phones I've seen in a while. Good luck to them with this line-up, especially at these Apple-like prices.

As an aside (I realize it's been known for a few weeks now, but still fun to reiterate), "Samsung has also taken a cue from Apple's iPhone lineup and is no longer packaging a power adapter in the box. Instead, the S21 will come with a USB-C cable". 

Haha.
    Beatswatto_cobraGG1SpamSandwich
  • Reply 6 of 10

Makes the iPhone 12 Pro look like it is an much earlier two or three generation behind smartphone!  Apple just does not want to put in the new modern screens, nor the 120Hz refresh rate, notch less screen or a true bezel less design.  Sad!

Apple needs to step up to their components to state of the art now since it not only Samsung and LG but the Chinese smartphones that have these new features too.

edited January 2021
  • Reply 7 of 10

Apple just does not want to put in ... notch less screen ....  Sad!

I don't think you quite understand why Apple has the notch, and Samsung does not. 
    Beatsharry wildwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Solid update, no surprises, not sure why AI is reporting it.

ASlso, Wi-Fi 6E?  What genius came up with that?  You create a nice and simple naming scheme, everyone's happy with it, then you fragment it and make it confusing by sticking a stupid letter on the end.  7 would've been fine.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 10
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Funny when Apple releases original iPhones for over $600, iKnockoff morons lose their minds yet Samsung can release knockoff iPhones with a borrowed OS for over 200 bucks and all you hear is crickets and a tumbleweed.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    crowley said:
    Solid update, no surprises, not sure why AI is reporting it.
    I’m guessing that they report on competitor products occasionally to provide context to their Apple coverage. As I’ve said before, a book about American tanks of WW2 would not be very good if it didn’t mention armor development in Germany, Japan, Britain and Russia. Having a focus is good, tunnel vision is not.
    SpamSandwich