Apple now blocking new installs of sideloaded iOS apps on M1 Macs

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    It is disappointing that more developers don’t allow the apps to be available on the App Store for Macs to run them. However I can understand that developers may not want people to complain about the problems these apps do have running on the Macs. 
    It's disappointing that Apple doesn't give me a 50% discount instead of a 10% discount. We can surely want what we want, but we, meaning you, should realized that it's not an entitlement.

I can understand Developers not wanting to give away content they can sell. Early on a great many iPhone apps were able to run on iPads although they didn't always look so great when blown up. Devs started making iPad-specific versions which looked great and often had extra features. Instead of buying those, I preferred to stick with the iPhone version, as they usually simpler and had only the features I liked.

Most of those apps, via upgrades, now won't load on an iPad. Yes, I wish they could, but I can understand why a Dev would want to make and be paid for a new version. I may be disappointed, but they're not wrong.
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 46
    I have 5 iPad apps on my M1 Mac mini and love it, 4 of them not being on the Mac store and installed iMazing. 2 of them relate to finance as they are much better than the website versions and 2 of them being chess apps. They are better on my Mac than iPad because I block internet access to them, so I can play the game in peace and not be bothered by the constant inundation of flashing ads running along the bottom of the screen. I would totally pay for these apps, but there is no paid version. So I play both on my Mac and iPad, both ad free (iPad, have data disabled when playing).

I understand why Apple does it, but it is very disappointing.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 46
    macgui said:
    It is disappointing that more developers don’t allow the apps to be available on the App Store for Macs to run them. However I can understand that developers may not want people to complain about the problems these apps do have running on the Macs. 
    It's disappointing that Apple doesn't give me a 50% discount instead of a 10% discount. We can surely want what we want, but we, meaning you, should realized that it's not an entitlement.

I can understand Developers not wanting to give away content they can sell. Early on a great many iPhone apps were able to run on iPads although they didn't always look so great when blown up. Devs started making iPad-specific versions which looked great and often had extra features. Instead of buying those, I preferred to stick with the iPhone version, as they usually simpler and had only the features I liked.

Most of those apps, via upgrades, now won't load on an iPad. Yes, I wish they could, but I can understand why a Dev would want to make and be paid for a new version. I may be disappointed, but they're not wrong.
    I’m not sure why you are attacking me. I supported the developers. I can see their side. I can be disappointed that developers have restricted their apps at the same time that I see the developers side. 
    jdb8167watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 46
    Will an M1 Macbook Pro be able to boot into Linux?
  • Reply 45 of 46
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    There have been some early Linux releases pushed out over the last few days.

There was something else over the weekend, but I can't find it now.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 46
    There have been some early Linux releases pushed out over the last few days.

There was something else over the weekend, but I can't find it now.
    Great. There was a lot of early talk about Linux never being ported to M1 Macs, so this is a promising development.