Why the iPhone 12 Pro is worth the upgrade cost

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Apple_Bar said:
    Agree! I returned after 24 hours as it was not a compelling upgrade over the XS Max. Cameras are only marginally better (except for night mode which is dramatically better). Loss of 3D touch makes the phone feel slower as haptic touch is garbage. The minor updates do not justify the expense. Here's hoping Apple brings back touch ID for the 13 as well as 120hz screen. 
    and you couldn’t figure out those things just by reading the web. Are you one of those “returners”. What a waste of a brand new device to end-up being returned.

it’s time for people put the 120hz in the same box as the usb-c port in an iPhone. Not going to happen. If it compromise the battery life (and it will) it will never materialized. 

And 5G doesn't compromise the battery?
  • Reply 22 of 31
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    razorpit said:
    Apple_Bar said:
    Agree! I returned after 24 hours as it was not a compelling upgrade over the XS Max. Cameras are only marginally better (except for night mode which is dramatically better). Loss of 3D touch makes the phone feel slower as haptic touch is garbage. The minor updates do not justify the expense. Here's hoping Apple brings back touch ID for the 13 as well as 120hz screen. 
    and you couldn’t figure out those things just by reading the web. Are you one of those “returners”. What a waste of a brand new device to end-up being returned.

it’s time for people put the 120hz in the same box as the usb-c port in an iPhone. Not going to happen. If it compromise the battery life (and it will) it will never materialized. 

Doesn't it auto switch to 5G and back only when available and strong enough?  If so, I doubt it will matter for a while to come.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 31
    thttht Posts: 5,451member
    With respect to Apple ProRAW, with all it's supposed advantages, isn't it just another proprietary format?

Can it easily fit into a workflow that is setup for RAW editing? Can photos shot in that format be directly edited in any RAW-editor?
    Looks like standard RAW plus Apple's extra stuff. Apple is providing an API for ProRAW, so eventually 3rd party apps can implement them and make it seamless. There is probably some things people can do to access the RAW file without any new tools, but Apple's refinements will need the API.

If it is going to be a professional tool, Apple has work to do in making it seamless in getting larges files to and fro different computers. If 4K Dolby Vision is going to be a real thing, they will eventually need to have USB4 20 Gbit/s and or TB3 support to get files that could be 100s of GB off these devices.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 31
    MacPro said:
    razorpit said:
    Apple_Bar said:

Doesn't it auto switch to 5G and back only when available and strong enough?  If so, I doubt it will matter for a while to come.
    I'd like to have ProMotion, but it didn't make the cut this year. You play the hand you are dealt. If 120 Hz refresh rate is the most important feature, people should get a phone with that feature or wait for an iPhone with it. Even though I'd like to have ProMotion, I'm getting a 12 model as my 6S Plus is getting unpleasant.

Looks like they need a different type of OLED to make ProMotion work with all the other features. So perhaps the 2021 model will have it. It should have a more efficient 5G modem, but the A15 probably will use a touch more power. Lots of things to balance.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 31

MacPro said:
    The two dog photographs' staggering differences in low light remind me of what I saw changing from Canon gear after 20 years to Sony Alpha full-frame gear. 
    Yes, looks amazing! If these results are typical, it's a huge improvement for picture takers. The 12 Pro Max will be even better than this, but I think I need to go to a smaller phone after all these years with a 6S Plus. My iPad Pro has taken over most of my need for a large phone, so, really tempted to go to the 12 mini, but it's something I'll be using for 4 to 5 years. Not sure I want to go that small.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 31
    tht said:
    With respect to Apple ProRAW, with all it's supposed advantages, isn't it just another proprietary format?

Can it easily fit into a workflow that is setup for RAW editing? Can photos shot in that format be directly edited in any RAW-editor?
    Looks like standard RAW plus Apple's extra stuff. Apple is providing an API for ProRAW, so eventually 3rd party apps can implement them and make it seamless. There is probably some things people can do to access the RAW file without any new tools, but Apple's refinements will need the API.

If it is going to be a professional tool, Apple has work to do in making it seamless in getting larges files to and fro different computers. If 4K Dolby Vision is going to be a real thing, they will eventually need to have USB4 20 Gbit/s and or TB3 support to get files that could be 100s of GB off these devices.

I just pre-ordered Capture One 2021 upgrade which I use for my Sony Alpha, I forgot about apple's new RAW, I sure hope it is supported as I see an iPhone 12 Pro Max in my future too.
    edited October 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 31
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    MacPro said:
    The two dog photographs' staggering differences in low light remind me of what I saw changing from Canon gear after 20 years to Sony Alpha full-frame gear. 
    I've got an APC-C Sony Alpha, it's brilliant. Really impressed, it's in a different class to others at the same price. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 31
    elijahg said:
    MacPro said:
    I've got an APC-C Sony Alpha, it's brilliant. Really impressed, it's in a different class to others at the same price. 
    Sony has definitely come out with some amazing cameras of late.  Their lenses too, I splurged on the 200-600mm Sony and it is tac sharp and far sharper than the 100-400mm Canon I have for my Canon bodies.  I get into trouble and accused of being a Sony fanboy on photography blogs if I say that but I have been loyal to Canon for three decades and Nikon before that.  I have never seen such a leap in photography technology before.  I am just a dabbler so nothing spectacular but check out a few of the shots on Flickr I have posted taken with my Sony and many with the cheap 24-240 mm Sony lens which is not supposed to be all that good but I find it great for travelling.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/127743698@N05/
    edited October 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 31
    razorpit said:
    Apple_Bar said:

It will that’s why they have the auto-switch between 5G and LTE.

but if you are comparing 5G which is part of the iPhone core functionality to 120hz which is just so it looks pretty while gaming there is no point of this exchange. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 31
    My experience is likely an extreme compared to others in this forum.  I upgraded to the iPhone 12 Pro from a still working, still very functional iPhone 5s.  Yes, a 5s.  And while I thought my 5s was still a useable device, the comparison is night and day, as to be expected comparing a modern phone to a dinosaur.  The phone is a lot heavier than I expected, and while it's an attractive phone, you can't really see much of it as I'm using an Otterbox Aneu Magsafe compatible case, and a tempered glass screen protector from AmFilm.  I must admit, on the screen protector, the installation has come a long way since I last installed one on my iPhone 5s.  The application guide (the plastic frame that helps position the screen protector correctly) does a great job of perfectly centering the screen protector, something I struggled with with my first glass screen protector on my 5s.  I was concerned about the lack of Touch ID on the new phone, however Face ID is amazing!  It works well with my app authenticator (Google) and my password manager (Lastpass.)  I did struggle a bit with setting up my Apple Watch original (not even the Series 1...the original Apple Watch), but it's working great now.  My Apple Watch Series 6 arrives in a few weeks, so I'll see how it compares re: setup and migration.  Overall, I'm a happy camper.

For those who care about specifics of items mentioned:
    amFilm Glass Screen Protector for iPhone 12 / iPhone 12 Pro/iPhone 11 / iPhone XR (6.1" Display, 2020/2019/ 2018) Tempered Glass with Easy Installation Tray (3 Pack) sold by: TechMatte (and this is a curiosity - I can no longer find this on Amazon where I purchased it from?)  But, it's a solid product and I highly recommend this!
    Otterbox Aneu Series phone case, purchased from the Apple site.  It's a great fit, and it works well with the screen protector (no overlap of the screen protector and the edge of the case.  The case edges are grippy which is nice, however the case itself is a tad slipperier than my 5s silicon case.  Not a big deal as the phone slides in/out of my jeans easily!

Again, my experience is likely not like yours as your phone is not an ancient one, but I'm a very happy iPhone 12 Pro owner!
  • Reply 31 of 31
    LiDAR the inclusion of that sensor on the iPhone 12 Pro and the iPhone 12 Pro Max are the compelling reasons to splurge on those units over the iPhone 12 and 12 Mini.
    As LiDAR is going to be so much more than better photos or VR/AR games.  This LiDAR sensor when combined with the iPhones cameras, GPS, other sensors, processing power and great display are going to be required for the new Apps that will based on this additional capability. 
     To put it another way, if someone told you that the only thing that the cameras on the iPhones were capable of doing: was taking pictures, you could probably rattle off dozens of truly useful applicatioms that have nothing to do with taking pictures.  As the inclusion of  LiDAR will provide such an additional array of capabilities, but on Steroids.
    So if you want to truly future proof your iPhone purchase from a technological perspective get 1 that has a LiDAR sensor.
    edited February 2021