Apple Maps cycling navigation expands to San Diego, Portland

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has expanded cycling directions in Apple Maps to San Diego, California and Portland, Oregon.

Credit: AppleInsider
Credit: AppleInsider

Although the company has yet to update its availability list, users in San Diego and Portland recently began receiving notifications that cycling directions were available.

Apple first introduced the new cycling directions in iOS 14. The dedicated cycling navigation feature offers information on bike lanes, paths, and data on inclines, stairs, or obstacles for cyclists.

In addition to San Diego and Portland, Apple supports cycling directions in London, New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and mainland China.

Earlier in February, Apple also expanded its "Look Around" feature in Apple Maps to the San Diego and Portland metropolitan areas.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    They need to have one for Washington DC. There are lot of bike trails here.
    bloggerblogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    They also cover bike routes in Santa Cruz CA. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Slow rollout 
    paraeekerentropys
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Slow rollout 
    Well, it's a small upstart company...
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 5 of 11
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    How is this different from what Apple Maps has already been doing?  I can get it to give me directions for cycling in NJ—it includes bike trails and allows me to pick to avoid hills and such.  What is the extra functionality they are talking about?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    bageljoey said:
    How is this different from what Apple Maps has already been doing?  I can get it to give me directions for cycling in NJ—it includes bike trails and allows me to pick to avoid hills and such.  What is the extra functionality they are talking about?
    It's not extra functionality, it's new areas covered.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Snore.
    Ive given up expecting Apple to seriously resource mapping. 
    Its like it isn’t serious. 
  • Reply 8 of 11
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member
    bageljoey said:
    Have you tried tapping on the link in the article?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Progress is good.  I realize flyover country is a lower priority, but I'd much rather use Apple Maps than Google.  Sadly, I can't yet.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Tucson would be a nice addition with its all year accessibility. The bike lanes are for daredevil’s (here) but there are many miles of bike paths and the mileage continues to grow.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    sdbryan said:
    Tucson would be a nice addition with its all year accessibility. The bike lanes are for daredevil’s (here) but there are many miles of bike paths and the mileage continues to grow.
    Same with Louisville.  The mayor has made a rather big deal about bike lanes through the heart of the city (suffering much undeserved derision in the doing), and virtually all the parks have paths wide enough for multiple bikes.