Tim Cook: 2020 was 'Apple's top year of innovation ever'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    Apple hasn't had any innovative products since the Apple Watch.  And really, that is just an extension of the iPhone and iPad, within the iOS ecosystem.

MacBooks from 2016-2019 with butterfly keyboards have been a reliability mess for Apple, finally fixing the problem once Ive was gone.  Now Apple is bringing back I/O ports that people actually used because using a dongle for everything is a pain.  Zero innovation with services.  Boring things to watch on AppleTV+, and they cannot even get people to pay for it, considering Peacock has more paying subscribers (and Peacock is 2nd to last place).  HomePods and AirPods are speaker products with less features than the competition, with mediocre sound, and cost twice as much.  We all know what happened with AirPower.  Mac Pro trash can - major thermal failure.  Took way too long to fix that problem.  The new Mac Pro - a product grossly overpriced, including the $800 wheels and a $5,000 display with an optional $1,000 stand (not what consumers have been asking for).  And now there are rumors of a $3,000 pair of AR glasses/goggles? The M1 is not innovation.  Switching processors is not innovative.  Apple has been making their own silicon for 10 years.  The first M1 Macs have less features than the Intel models they replaced.  Another rumor is a G4-Cube like Mac Pro?  The G4 Cube failed after a year.  Why is Apple repeating their same mistakes?  Apple over the years has been throwing stuff on a wall to see what sticks.  They haven't come up with any products that people did not realize they needed, which is what Steve Jobs was always able to do.  At least now that Ive is gone, they are able to go back and fix their hardware mistakes and make more reliable Macs.  (But the M-based iMac coming soon will have non-upgradable memory and non-upgradable storage, so people will have to pay the high Apple Tax for point of sale upgrades.  Ouch!).  Tim Cook is a numbers guy.  He doesn't have vision.  Apple has been very profitable, so good news during a horrible pandemic, but being late to the game with most of their products is not innovation.
    entropysanantksundaramelijahg
  • Reply 22 of 35
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Now Apple is bringing back I/O ports that people actually used because using a dongle for everything is a pain. 

At least we hope they are. 
  • Reply 23 of 35
    Maybe by invocation Cook meant evolution? It was certainly on of those. Refinement, new mutations exploited, evolutionary deadends in retreat?
    edited February 2021
  • Reply 24 of 35
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    entropys said:
    Now Apple is bringing back I/O ports that people actually used because using a dongle for everything is a pain. 

At least we hope they are. 
    I wonder if Schiller will call the return of the ports "courageous"..?
  • Reply 25 of 35
    It seems to be that Apple's M1 was the trigger that got Intel's CEO fired. When your innovation causes corporate overhauls in the competition, that's a good sign.
    Intel is not really Apple's "competition" in any substantive sense. 

Intel's problems precede Apple's M1, and are way, way bigger than losing Apple as a customer. They've been having major issues with production, quality, and scaling at smaller chip sizes. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 35
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,340member
    Tim Cook: "We'd love to train your grandmother..."

:-) LOL!  I know he was being serious, but that comment tickled my funny bone pink!
  • Reply 27 of 35
    jdw said:
    Tim Cook: "We'd love to train your grandmother..."

:-) LOL!  I know he was being serious, but that comment tickled my funny bone pink!
    They’d love to train your grandmother because they’re hitting the problem of large numbers.

For all too many grandmothers, that’s the large entry price to get into the ecosystem,

You can argue how real that price is and what the value is, but people on small, fixed incomes tend to become more risk-averse and err on the side of cheapness. The Apple platforms don’t have great draw in risk-averse people with low funds, especially those not wanting to learn new things if they can avoid it,  Sure, not all are like that, but those that aren’t, likely are “trained” in a platform they’re currently invested in.
    elijahg
  • Reply 28 of 35
    The sole purpose of this interview was to suck up to China. Being interviewed by a 22 year old kid is ridiculous. He should have thanked them for covid too, for being irresponsible and not containing it and spreading it all over the world. 
    elijahganonconformist
  • Reply 29 of 35
    thedbathedba Posts: 764member
    thedba said:
    The two products that stood out in 2020 are AirPods Max and the M1 Macs. On the services side I would also add Apple One. 
    Phil Schiller's "Can't Innovate....My a$$" remark rings more true now than ever. 
    That is amusing that you bring up Phil's ridiculous comment.  His comment referred to the trash can Mac Pro, one of Apple's biggest failures in history.  A Mac that sat on their price list for 6 years and they could not even do the slightest update because it was a thermal disaster.  Hardly call one of their failures innovation.

Also, the AirPods Max is not an innovative product.  It is a pair of overpriced headphones that have less features than far superior headphones on the market that cost half the price.  Also, switching processors is not innovation.  The first M1 Macs are faster with native code, but they have less features than the Intel models they replaced.  How is that innovation?  Let's hope Apple's next chip to replace the limited M1 is far superior.
    The remark was aimed at the part of the press that kept on harping that Apple was done without Steve Jobs. We all know how that turned out. 

AirPods Max, is one of those products that at first glance seems way overpriced but the more people get their hands on them, the more they like them. Other than price, I haven’t heard that many negatives about them. Plenty of videos out there from audiophiles that wouldn’t mind adding them to their collection. Not to replace their favorite paid of $800+ wired set but to complement it.
    Besides, if you’ve been following Apple for a while now, you should know that Apple rarely competes on price.

Your remark on M1 is the most puzzling. They’re not only faster with native code but with translated code through Rosetta 2, as well. They’ve already sent shockwaves throughout the PC industry and in a couple of years time we’ll start seeing the demise of the x86 CISC model and the accelerated rise of the ARM-RISC model. In fact Microsoft itself has already stated that they will be working their own Surface models on ARM.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 35
    Your remark on M1 is the most puzzling. They’re not only faster with native code but with translated code through Rosetta 2, as well. They’ve already sent shockwaves throughout the PC industry and in a couple of years time we’ll start seeing the demise of the x86 CISC model and the accelerated rise of the ARM-RISC model. In fact Microsoft itself has already stated that they will be working their own Surface models on ARM.

Yes, but in the end what it is doing, is the same stuff faster.  The same stuff the Mac did in a different way to then current PCs in 1984. It isn’t an iPhone like paradigm shift.

Maybe I expect “innovation” to be more than just doing the same stuff better. For the most part, “doing stuff better” is already in Apple’s DNA. To the extent when someone says “most innovative year ever” one should expect a total paradigm shift in the way things get done, not what is under the hood.

AirPods Max, is one of those products that at first glance seems way overpriced but the more people get their hands on them, the more they like them. Other than price, I haven’t heard that many negatives about them. Plenty of videos out there from audiophiles that wouldn’t mind adding them to their collection. Not to replace their favorite paid of $800+ wired set but to complement it.
    Besides, if you’ve been following Apple for a while now, you should know that Apple rarely competes on price.

It’s another PowerMac G4 Cube, another Trash Can Mac Pro, another rMB, another HomePod, another 2019 Mac Pro. The Airpods Max will eventually be considered part of this group.

Poor Price Positioning  was and will be the main factor in these products’ failure to be a significant share of the market, to the extent they can be considered a failure.

But for the airpods max problems are more than just price. I agree comparing them to wired headphones at the same price is inappropriate. But that underlines the problem. But it doesn’t stop at price. There is the inability to fold up more compactly, price, an incredibly embarrassing, so bad at function case it is a joke meme, price, not markedly better at ANC or sound than its relevant, half priced competition, and price. What it has a lot of, is hubris.

edited February 2021 elijahg
  • Reply 31 of 35
    lkrupp said:
    It seems to be that Apple's M1 was the trigger that got Intel's CEO fired. When your innovation causes corporate overhauls in the competition, that's a good sign.
    But the critics always point out that Apple’s business with Intel was just a drop in the bucket because so few Macs are sold every year. Why would the CEO get fired because of losing Apple’s business, tiny as it was? Bragging rights?
    Because a "lifestyle company" has pretty much beaten Intel at its own game.
  • Reply 32 of 35

entropys said:

elijahg said:
    dk49 said:
    aknabi said:
    A breakthrough year in innovation? Sure... due to the M1 which will redefine the performance/power curve for computing and align with phones.

Ever? Well that's part of the hyperbolic, BS driven we live in today... younger folks haven't seen truly amazing breakthroughs (e.g. the Moon Landing) so a TikTok music remix becomes the innovation standard...

But compared to say Apple's 1984... not even close... Tim, given where Apple is and is going there's no reason for you to be serving the BS lasagna... it's not a good look
    I agree. Tim is a very different leader than Jobs. He likes to give away very polished, often generic and vague statements that seem rather dull. Steve was quite opposite, giving strong opinions, sometimes even hard hitting and controversial. The only leader I am curious to hear these days is Elon Musk. Though I still love Apple more than Tesla :)
    Cook is excruciatingly dull. Both Jobs and Musk had/have a passion that excites fans and the public alike, they’re fun and always in the general news for their views and thoughts on where things were headed. People bought products to be a part of the journey. Cook is entirely opposite to that. Usually only in the news because of some new monetary milestone though his cash hoarding. 
    He isn’t the charismatic visionary true, he is a supply chain guy. Maybe the best in the world at it. It has its downsides though, for example as macs took a lonely less desirable path that only now looks like being retraced and corrected. Maybe the innovation he is referring to is that long needed correction, or maybe the innovation is below the hood, all in the supply chain, maximising margins?
    He is demonstrably brilliant at being a supply chain guy. But those guys are usually not thrust into the limelight because they have a personality, well, like Cook. So yeah as a numbers guy who obviously only cares about the products as far as how much money they can generate, I wouldn't be surprised if maximising margins is the "innovation" he's referring to.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    thedba said:
    thedba said:
    The two products that stood out in 2020 are AirPods Max and the M1 Macs. On the services side I would also add Apple One. 
    Phil Schiller's "Can't Innovate....My a$$" remark rings more true now than ever. 
    That is amusing that you bring up Phil's ridiculous comment.  His comment referred to the trash can Mac Pro, one of Apple's biggest failures in history.  A Mac that sat on their price list for 6 years and they could not even do the slightest update because it was a thermal disaster.  Hardly call one of their failures innovation.

Also, the AirPods Max is not an innovative product.  It is a pair of overpriced headphones that have less features than far superior headphones on the market that cost half the price.  Also, switching processors is not innovation.  The first M1 Macs are faster with native code, but they have less features than the Intel models they replaced.  How is that innovation?  Let's hope Apple's next chip to replace the limited M1 is far superior.
    The remark was aimed at the part of the press that kept on harping that Apple was done without Steve Jobs. We all know how that turned out. 

Yeah we do, Cook has morphed Apple from having a passion to be the best, to one that has a passion to generate the most profit. The size of a company isn't indicative of excellency. Nothing in the post-Jobs pipeline has been exactly spectacular nor particularly popular. The Airpods were likely the last product Jobs had any real input in, and is the last Apple product that has seen major success.

AirPods Max are a joke. From the price, to the weight to the apparently less than amazing sound, to the ridiculous case. If they were $150 less people and without the idiotic case people would be raving about them.

No, the M1 is not faster than running x86 natively. MS already has "Surface models on ARM".
  • Reply 34 of 35
    elijahg said:
    thedba said:
    thedba said:

Yeah we do, Cook has morphed Apple from having a passion to be the best, to one that has a passion to generate the most profit. The size of a company isn't indicative of excellency. Nothing in the post-Jobs pipeline has been exactly spectacular nor particularly popular. The Airpods were likely the last product Jobs had any real input in, and is the last Apple product that has seen major success.

AirPods Max are a joke. From the price, to the weight to the apparently less than amazing sound, to the ridiculous case. If they were $150 less people and without the idiotic case people would be raving about them.

No, the M1 is not faster than running x86 natively. MS already has "Surface models on ARM".
    FYI: The AirPods were released on December 2016, whereas SJ died on October 2011. I doubt he had any input in the development of that product. 

A CEO, a leader does not necessarily need to have the input in product development that SJ had but just have the right people around him and give them the tools to do the best job possible. From where Apple was back in 2011 to where they are right now, I'd say they've succeeded. 

Your AirPods max remark is way off, especially the apparently less than amazing sound, partFrom what I've read they are top notch noise cancelling and their transparency mode is even better. They've gotten top grades for their sound reproduction enough so that even the audiophile crowd is taking a closer look at them.  

Your last remark on the M1 is again off. Not only has their Apple silicon team shifted the entire desktop/laptop line from Intel x86 to ARM-RISC they've done it not only seamlessly through Rosetta 2, for the most part, but faster and far more energy efficient. And the M1 is just the 1st generation of those chips.
    Yes MS does have the Surface X out but that looks more like let's put it out there and see where is goes type of product. In fact here's an article from back in Dec. 20 
    https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/microsoft-to-develop-its-own-chips-for-servers-pcs-report-2020-12-20, that states they will start (or have already started) working on their own chip designs for servers/PC's. How coincidental is that press release after Apple launched its own hardware?

• Reply 35 of 35
    elijahg said:
    thedba said:
    thedba said:

FYI: The AirPods were released on December 2016, whereas SJ died on October 2011. I doubt he had any input in the development of that product. 

A CEO, a leader does not necessarily need to have the input in product development that SJ had but just have the right people around him and give them the tools to do the best job possible. From where Apple was back in 2011 to where they are right now, I'd say they've succeeded. 

Your AirPods max remark is way off, especially the apparently less than amazing sound, partFrom what I've read they are top notch noise cancelling and their transparency mode is even better. They've gotten top grades for their sound reproduction enough so that even the audiophile crowd is taking a closer look at them.  

Your last remark on the M1 is again off. Not only has their Apple silicon team shifted the entire desktop/laptop line from Intel x86 to ARM-RISC they've done it not only seamlessly through Rosetta 2, for the most part, but faster and far more energy efficient. And the M1 is just the 1st generation of those chips.
    Yes MS does have the Surface X out but that looks more like let's put it out there and see where is goes type of product. In fact here's an article from back in Dec. 20 
    https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/microsoft-to-develop-its-own-chips-for-servers-pcs-report-2020-12-20, that states they will start (or have already started) working on their own chip designs for servers/PC's. How coincidental is that press release after Apple launched its own hardware?