Apple TV+ gains first Oscars nominations with 'Wolfwalkers' and 'Greyhound'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2021
Apple TV+ hit "Wolfwalkers" is nominated for Best Animated Feature at the Oscars, while "Greyhound" is in the running for Best Sound.

Wolfwalkers on Apple TV+
Wolfwalkers on Apple TV+

Following its recent successful showing at the BAFTA nominations, Apple TV+ has now seen its first-ever Oscars nods. The streaming service has seen one nomination each for two of its most popular titles, "Wolfwalkers," and "Greyhound."

"Nothing is more exciting than seeing these unique and meaningful films resonating with both critics and audiences globally," Zack Van Amburg, Apple head of Worldwide Video, said in a statement. "We are incredibly proud of what we're building at Apple, and to have these films celebrated in this way -- and in such a short space of time -- we're humbled and thankful for the artists and filmmakers who have partnered with us."

"We're grateful for the Academy's recognition of 'Wolfwalkers' and 'Greyhound,'" said Jamie Erlicht, Apple's head of Worldwide Video. "We want to congratulate the filmmakers and the cast and crew who brought these brilliant stories to the screen, and to everyone who has championed these films around the world. We are excited to continue sharing exceptional storytelling from the most creative visionaries in the year ahead and beyond."

The nominations for the 93rd Academy Awards were announced by Priyanka Chopra Jonas and Nick Jonas. Among the nine categories, "Wolfwalkers" is nominated for "Best Animated Feature."

It will compete for the Oscar with "Onward," "Over the Moon," "Soul," and "A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmaggeddon."

The makers of "Wolfwalkers" include Tomm Moore, for whom this is his third nomination following "The Secret of Kells" in 2009, and "Song of the Sea" in 2014.

Apple TV+ movie "Greyhound," written by and starring Tom Hanks, is nominated for "Best Sound." It is competing against "Mank," "News of the World" -- also starring Tom Hanks -- plus "Soul" and "Sound of Metal."

Previously, Apple had hoped to also see Oscar nods for Sofia Coppola's "On The Rocks," but it failed to be nominated.

The 93rd Academy Awards will be presented on Sunday, April 25, at the Union Station Los Angeles and the Dolby Theatre at the Hollywood & Highland Center. The event will be shown live on ABC.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Greyhound is outstanding.
    I never thought of its sound -- but yeh -- that's a big part of that movie -- especially when played through a decent home theater system.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    In truth neither are particularly “outstanding”, and Oscar worthy, but then I started thinking what movies released this year are Oscar worthy. Nup, couldn’t think of one.  No Ben Hur, no Gladiator, no Titanic. The biggest movie was probably that travesty Wonder Woman sequel. So in a limited field....they might have a chance.
    On the other hand Mank is your typical insular Hollywood insider movie where the only bit of actual interest is that it doesn’t portray Welles as a god like figure for once.
    edited March 2021
  • Reply 3 of 4
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    entropys said:
    In truth neither are particularly “outstanding”,

Obviously we disagree on that.  But, it wasn't the typical shoot em up, bang, bang war movie.   The most blood was the blister on his foot and there was no sex in it at all.  It more along the lines of a Greek tragedy with a flawed hero (my kinda guy -- someone I could relate to).
  • Reply 4 of 4
    pairof9pairof9 Posts: 74member
    I gotta agree...Greyhound is a great movie. Its limited runtime illustrates how well it stayed in action, not wasting time on secondary conversations other than the opening romantic "off to war" scene with Hanks and Shue. Thinking of the sound, I'm with GeorgeB that this had a big impact in the movie...when those guns start shooting at U-boats, it's intense and solid! That crying, almost howling sound, each time they show a U-boat rise up from the sea is awesome. 

Having not seen the other movies, I can't give a honest assessment on Best Sound. I can say Greyhound is a well made action movie and sound is definitely a part of that success. 
    GeorgeBMac