Zuckerberg changes tune, says Apple's iOS 14 privacy feature might benefit Facebook

Posted:
in General Discussion
After raking Apple over the coals in protest of an upcoming iOS 14 feature that will limit ad tracking, Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg is now saying the change could actually benefit his company.

Zuckerberg

Zuckerberg and Facebook have been the most vocal critics of Apple's forthcoming App Tracking Transparency feature that is set to debut with iOS 14.5 this spring, claiming it will deal a major blow to the bottom lines of ad tech companies and stymie growth for small businesses.

In a Clubhouse room on Thursday, however, Zuckerberg viewed the issue through a different lens.

"It's possible that we may even be in a stronger position if Apple's changes encourage more businesses to conduct more commerce on our platforms by making it harder for them to use their data in order to find the customers that would want to use their products outside of our platforms," Zuckerberg said, according to CNBC.

When it rolls out, ATT will require developers to gain permission before tracking a user's device advertising identifier, or Identifier for Advertiser (IDFA) tag. Users are automatically opted out of tracking by default, though they can allow services to leverage IDFA data by manually changing settings options or by interacting with a special dialogue box that appears when opening an app for the first time. Many users are expected to opt for more privacy, leaving ad companies in search of new targeting technologies.

As it applies to Facebook, the anti-tracking feature will block insight into a key metrics including view-through conversions. The technology enables ad firms to measure the number of users who purchase goods after viewing, but not interacting with, an ad.

Facebook has been making preparations, however, and has introduced additional commerce products like Facebook Shops and Instagram Shops across its various platforms. The offerings enable retailers to tap into Facebook's backend tools and sell directly through the social network's brands.

"Compared to the early conversations we had about how people would use this across Facebook and Instagram and our product, I think this is something that's well on track to be something that's going to be increasingly important to people," Zuckerberg said.

The turnabout in opinion contrasts Facebook's posturing against Apple and the new ATT functionality. Facebook in December began to run newspaper ads warning of the looming threat ATT posed to small businesses. Similar notices were issued on Facebook's SMB platform. In January, reports claimed Zuckerberg was readying an antitrust suit over the matter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    Let’s hope Mark didn’t find any loopholes in the new system. You know how sneaky he is.
    BeatsAnilu_777pulseimagesanantksundaramTRAGDean68lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 34
    cg27cg27 Posts: 213member
    Looks like Mark is still cutting his own hair with a bowl during quarantine.
    lordjohnwhorfinbshankbaconstangbluefire1fotoformatpulseimageswilliamlondonanantksundaramlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 34
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    They're not the brightest folk...
    they've spent the last few months inadvertently telling investors and ad buyers that their product's effectiveness and quality will be greatly diminished.

This will obviously have an effect on investor and ad buyer confidence. So with the writing on the wall, naturally they're changing their tune.

edited March 2021 baconstangroundaboutnowanantksundaramn2itivguylolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 34
    Geez, The Zuck doesn't look well. All this pressure has made him start to look a lot like his alien alter-ego, Roger Smith, from Seth Macfarlane's "American Dad!"
    lordjohnwhorfinhexclockpulseimagesFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 34
    citpekscitpeks Posts: 246member
    It's funny how much attention this feature has attracted, when the ability to deny IDFA tracking has been part of iOS for a while, on a blanket level.

What iOS 14.5 will bring are active prompts to have the user decide to opt in/out, for each app on a granular level.

It's not going to make a lot of difference to anyone who has already been paying attention to their privacy settings.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 34
    bshankbshank Posts: 255member
    I agree with Alex Karp as he insinuated Zuckerberg “doesn’t have the sense God gave a goat.”
    edited March 2021 Mephisdogoleslolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 34
    How could he possibly think that anybody would believe a single word he says? He has zero credibility. Also, he does not look human. I wouldn't be surprised if he turned out to be a lizard people who actually eats human babies for breakfast.
    baconstangDogpersonagilealtitudecornchipEsquireCatslolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 34
    qwerty52qwerty52 Posts: 367member
    Who is going to believe this guy, next time he says something again?
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 34
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    One wonders if this is the result of Zuck trepanning himself.

If so, I'm 100% liking the result.
    baconstanghexclocksconosciutowatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 34
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    What he is saying, Facebook has the resources to over come what Apple is doing where smaller companies do not do more business will have to rely on Facebook to even get to the customers they need. 

The more road blocks and regulation put up large companies and government the harder it is for smaller companies to compete. This why big companies welcome some kind of regulations and controls.
    entropysbala1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Honestly I used to love Facebook but the company is crazy. They’ve now decided that I need to be banned again for 30 days because I recently replied to somebody by saying “bitch please”. Yet somehow they still have tons of groups filled with Nazis. 
    InspiredCodelolliver
  • Reply 12 of 34
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Geez, The Zuck doesn't look well. All this pressure has made him start to look a lot like his alien alter-ego, Roger Smith, from Seth Macfarlane's "American Dad!"
    did he ever? 😳
    Mephisdogoleswatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 34
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Creep ... i dont like this guy and anything associated with him... anything!
    Dogpersonlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 34
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    Maybe it's time for Zuck to step down as CEO, cash in, and start a new company that actually produces something useful.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 34
    longfanglongfang Posts: 445member
    He looks like he’s been getting orange tans.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 34
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    maestro64 said:
    What he is saying, Facebook has the resources to over come what Apple is doing where smaller companies do not do more business will have to rely on Facebook to even get to the customers they need. 

The more road blocks and regulation put up large companies and government the harder it is for smaller companies to compete. This why big companies welcome some kind of regulations and controls.
    It’s either that or the focus group reporting on this little fight wasn’t  working out well for the Zuck.
    n2itivguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 34
    kimberlykimberly Posts: 427member
    hexclock said:
    Maybe it's time for Zuck to step down as CEO, cash in, and start a new company that actually produces something useful.
    You know, I was thinking exactly the same thing. He has enough personal wealth to buy an operational aircraft carrier, so its time .. Z has left the building. Leave FB with its appalling business model and do something else FFS.
    anantksundaramagilealtitudewatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Honestly I used to love Facebook but the company is crazy. They’ve now decided that I need to be banned again for 30 days because I recently replied to somebody by saying “bitch please”. Yet somehow they still have tons of groups filled with Nazis. 
    The filters have gotten really weird lately. Not sure what they are smoking over at FB.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 521member
    How could he possibly think that anybody would believe a single word he says? He has zero credibility. Also, he does not look human. I wouldn't be surprised if he turned out to be a lizard people who actually eats human babies for breakfast.
    Do you remember the V television series?  If not go watch some and then look at Zuck again.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 34
    Anilu_777 said:
    Do you remember the V television series?  If not go watch some and then look at Zuck again.
    I remember the miniseries, the series, the telefilm and the reboot how about that?
    and yeah I was thinking exactly that when I saw that alien face.
    watto_cobra