Render tool Redshift lands on macOS with native Apple Silicon support

Posted:
in macOS
Maxon has launched a version of its Redshift render software for macOS, enabling 3D artists to use the application on Macs equipped with Apple Silicon.

Redshift is a biased 3D rendering tool used by digital artists and animators to create 3D scenes, images, and animations. While the tool has been available on Windows and Linux for quite some time, Maxon announced it had brought the software to macOS on Tuesday.

The initial release includes native support for Apple's M1, as well as the Metal graphics API. It is intended as a universal app, with support for Intel-based Macs arriving soon with the release of macOS Big Sur 11.3.

As well as benefiting Mac-based artists who do not need to switch to a different platform to use the renderer, the native support for M1's integrated graphics is said to provide substantial efficiency improvements for workflows.

"When Redshift joined the Maxon family in 2019, extending support to our user community on the Mac platform was a top priority," said Maxon CEO David McGavran. "We're thrilled that creatives working in macOS environments can now take advantage of this powerful and flexible GPU-accelerated renderer built to meet the specific demands of contemporary high-end production."

As a GPU-biased renderer, the tool is used to render files created in many different applications, including Autodesk's Maya and 3dsMax, SideFX's Houdini, The Foundry Katana, Blender, and Maxon's own Cinema 4D.

Redshift requires macOS Big Sur 11.0 or later on Apple Silicon Macs, and 11.3 for Intel-based Macs.

Aside from the M1's graphics, the software can support GPUs included in many Mac devices, as well as external eGPUs on Intel Macs, specifically "Navi" or "Vega" GPUs or later with 8GB of VRAM or more. The list of supported AMD GPUs includes:
  • Radeon Pro Vega 16/20/48/56/64
  • Radeon Pro 5500M/5600M/5500XT/5700/5700XT
  • Radeon Pro Vega II/Vega II Duo
  • Radeon Pro W5500X/W5700X
  • Radeon Pro WX9100
  • Radeon VII
  • Radeon RX 5500/5500XT/5600XT/5700/5700XT
Redshift costs $500 per node-locked license, $600 for a "floating" license, or as part of a subscription license with Cinema 4D for $983.88 per year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 604member
    Nice! Good to see it out of beta.

It’s also nice that the free trial is water-marked rather than time limited imho.

Of course I guess us hobbyists might be more inclined to use OctaneX at least for the first free year with new pro macs ;)

fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 3
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 618member
    Really hoping we're finally getting decent GPU's on the mac.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,570member
    michelb76 said:
    Really hoping we're finally getting decent GPU's on the mac.
    When you say "on the mac," do you mean (a) the Mac Pro or (b) the Mac Mini or (c) the iMac? Depending on what you meant, I have different opinions:

• The future Mac Pro is likely to support "decent GPUs." Although I'm not sure how you define the word "decent." If your definition includes nVidia GPUs, then no. I don't think nVidia is willing to support the Metal 2 API in their video cards' firmware. Apple will not add an extra layer of API translation which nVidia expects to be built into macOS.
    • The Mac Mini (future versions) might support external GPUs, but I wouldn't count on it. The Mac Mini (and iMac) would burn most of its Thunderbolt 3 bandwidth (at least for one of its two busses) on video traffic if it allowed people to obtain external GPUs for 6K monitors. A single 5K monitor would use 60% of Thunderbolt 3 bandwidth and a 6K monitor (or dual 4K monitors) would use 75% of the bandwidth.
    • The iMac is unlikely to support external GPUs, because of its built-in monitor. You bought Apple's monitor, so you accept Apple's video technology with it.
    Intel managed to persuade millions of customers to settle for built-in Intel Iris graphics. I'm sure Apple can likewise convince millions of customers to settle for Apple GPUs for certain models of Macs.
    FileMakerFeller