Smartmi P1 becomes newest air purifier with HomeKit support [U: Now available]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2021
On Thursday, Smartmi launched its latest air purifier, the Smartmi P1, which includes support for Apple's HomeKit smart home platform. Update: After being announced last week, the P1 is now available to order with a limited-time launch promo.

Smartmi P1 with HomeKit support
Smartmi P1 with HomeKit support

The new Smartmi P1 expands the company's line of air purifiers from the company -- but with a smaller form factor. The Smartmi P1 still boasts the ability to cleanse a 200 square foot room in only ten minutes while trapping particles as small as 80 nanometers, which equates to 99.97 percent of matter going through the filter. Most other HEPA filters are only capable of trapping particles of 300 nanometers or larger, says Smartmi.

Inside the P1, aside from the enhanced HEPA filter, are dual laser particle sensors that can detect pollen as well as PM2.5 which is beneficial to allergy sufferers. Pollen is smaller than typical PM2.5

It runs off a brushless DC motor that can run as quiet as 19dB. The small form factor and handle allow you to easily move it from room to room. Its minimalist aesthetic and silver or grey color choice help it blend into most homes with ease.

Smartmi P1 with HomeKit support in Grey
Smartmi P1 with HomeKit support in Grey

Filter replacements start at $39.99 and can provide up to a year's worth of clean air.

With HomeKit support, users can see air quality as well as change the fan speed all from the Home app or control it via Siri. Automations and scenes can also be triggered based on air quality thresholds.

Smartmi is the third air purifier to come to market with support for Apple's HomeKit. VOCOlinc launched the HomeKit-only PureFlow VAP1 in 2020 and Molekule also brought HomeKit to its Air Mini+ purifier recently.

The Smartmi P1 HomeKit-enabled air purifier is available through Amazon for $179.99 retail. For launch, Smartmi is offering $40 off if you use promo code CLEANAIR40 until May 2.

Updated 4/22 with availability and pricing information

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    The SMARTMI30 coupon is not accepted at Amazon, and by the way they upped the price to $219 versus the $199 as you mentioned in your post Andrew.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    While that coupon is not excepted, on the order page if you click the box saying you have a coupon, the $40 will be applied at check out. Your net cost will be $179.
    kiehtanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Are you sure you have the right purifier? It's not listed on Amazon yet for me. What is listed is another of Smartmi's filters that does not have HomeKit support. That one is $219. The article says it should be listed "at some point on Thursday" so that "some point" may not have happened yet.
    Andrew_OSU
  • Reply 4 of 12
    I guess Molekule didn’t have a design patent on the look of the leather strap connected to the cylindrical air purifier...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    The SMARTMI30 coupon is not accepted at Amazon, and by the way they upped the price to $219 versus the $199 as you mentioned in your post Andrew.
    It's actually *not* available yet on Amazon. You're looking at their original air purifier while the P1 seems to not have launched yet. We were told they had an issue with their Amazon listing going live but once it does we will be updating the article. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    I wish people put in a little more effort into naming their products. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    For those considering improving the air quality in their homes I would suggest they take a long and hard look at whole house solutions instead of these small and expensive products. They have a purpose but a system added to your HVAC can do a better job, is quieter, uses less electricity, is easily maintained or repaired by HVAC pros and in TCO will prove to cost less. They usually are placed in your attic or basement near the air handler of the Central HVAC system.

Buy a couple of these as discrete devices and for multiple places in the home and you have spent a lot of money and will be using a lot of electricity. 

You can get HEPA grade filtration, UV light to neutralize  VOCs and viruses, an HRV/ERV to keep your air fresh while recovering much of the conditioned air temperature and humidity and you will notice the difference. In humid climates like the Southeast or coastal areas an in line dehumidifier can greatly increase comfort and lighten the load on your Air Conditioner. In dryer climates (and cold climates in winter) a humidifier can make you more comfortable.

I would really like to see Apple reach out to the makers of these systems and integrate them into HomeKit.
    watto_cobrarundhvidbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 8 of 12
    The silver one is available to purchase but the dark grey one isn't. It's there, but there are no options to buy it just yet. The waiting game continues...
    edited April 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    They are both available for purchase now. On the dark grey one you just have to click "see all buying options". Seems like they are still working on the listing. The dark grey one is already slipping its ship date though. 
    comcastsuckswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    They are both available for purchase now. On the dark grey one you just have to click "see all buying options". Seems like they are still working on the listing. The dark grey one is already slipping its ship date though. 
    Thank you for that, I placed my order and I can finally stop checking.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    "P1"?  Have these people never read the book "The Adolescence of P1"?

Didn't exactly turn out well...

🤣
    edited April 2021
  • Reply 12 of 12
    tr5tr5 Posts: 1member
    Is anyone else having issues pairing this with HomeKit?  I have an eero mesh network and was able to turn off the 5 GHz so only 2.4 was available but it just spun after scanning the HomeKit code from inside the HomeKit app when searching for the device. 

It said to make sure connected to WiFi - which I am - and it never paired.  It returned an error eventually:  “Unable to add accessory. Unknown error code: 2502.”

I did not download the SmartMi app as it had a single review of 1 star stating it was in Chinese!  Also, I took from their very vague instructions that you don’t need their app to add it to HomeKit.

any suggestions?