Apple launches new Apple TV 4K with A12 Bionic CPU, redesigned Siri remote

Comments

• Reply 61 of 84
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Japhey said:
    I appreciate the mute button and Thread support, but other than that, I’m really finding this upgrade to be completely lackluster. Apple really missed a prime opportunity here to increase their market share by either delivering a revolutionary new product or by lowering the price on them. I’ll be a day one buyer, obviously. But how many casual, mainstream customers will be tempted by yet another expensive and iterative upgrade?
    I see nothing to buy here. YMMV. 

I'm guessing that the AppleTV+ subscription comes with this for a year, but no idea if you get an extra year with each purchase, or if limited to one free year per AppleID. 

Beatswilliamlondon
  • Reply 62 of 84
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Hey, cool, let's take everything wrong with the remote (too small, too thin, too uncomfortable to hold, too few buttons) and keep all that!

We'll make the touch surface smaller too?  How can it possibly not be worse that way!

• Reply 63 of 84
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    darkvader said:
    Hey, cool, let's take everything wrong with the remote (too small, too thin, too uncomfortable to hold, too few buttons) and keep all that!

We'll make the touch surface smaller too?  How can it possibly not be worse that way!
    It's thicker and there are more buttons
  • Reply 64 of 84
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    neillwd said:
    Hate the remote.
    Came here to say exactly that. It reminds me of the old remotes before they used a touch pad. I dread “click, click, clicking” around m the screen rather than just a swipe which can get me to the other side of the screen in a single gesture. 

Thought I was the only one who liked and understood what the touch remote accomplished. 
    Agreed on the touchpad, it was way better than D-pad clicking. Momentum and scrubbing are so great, hope they persist that functionality. (haven’t watched event yet) Sounds like it has both:

The all-new Siri Remote features an innovative clickpad control that offers five-way navigation for better accuracy, and is also touch-enabled for the fast directional swipes Apple TV users love. The outer ring of the clickpad supports an intuitive circular gesture that turns it into a jog control — perfect for finding a scene in a movie or show. 
    The swipe pad worked well, except you couldn’t tell which way was up and if you tried to pick it up in the dark you would frequently inadvertently swipe or cause some other input that you didn’t want.

I’m excited and hopeful that this new remote will be a significant improvement. It’s hard to tell in the pictures but it also looks a bit bigger which would be good. THe old remote was actually too small and would easily slip between cushions, etc. The old siri remote was also too fragile - if you dropped it on a hard surface the swipe pad would shatter and you’d be out another $50 for a replacement. It appears taht the new one would be a bit more rugged in this regard.

my main disappointment is I was hoping for an apple sound bar that incorporated home pod speaker technology and apple TV. Oh well - I can’t say I was actually expecting that. It woudl have been an entirely new product line for apple and a bit of a departure for them.
    edited April 2021 Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 65 of 84
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    neillwd said:
    Hate the remote.
    Came here to say exactly that. It reminds me of the old remotes before they used a touch pad. I dread “click, click, clicking” around m the screen rather than just a swipe which can get me to the other side of the screen in a single gesture. 

Thought I was the only one who liked and understood what the touch remote accomplished. 
    Agreed, and besides, you can tap (tap not clicks) on the edges of the current remote to mimic clicking. 
    ...and that was one of the biggest problems with old remote. I’d reach for it in the dark and end up tapping or doing somehting I didn’t intend to do. Incredibly frustrating.
  • Reply 66 of 84
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Detnator said:
    neillwd said:
    Hate the remote.

Wow... seriously?  I agree, I like the touch remote functionality, but it constantly has sensitivity and inconsistency issues.  So they put buttons back in... which is great.  So, swiping/touch?

It still does that AS WELL!  Did you not see that?  Buttons AND swiping...  It's the best of both worlds.  Plus scroll-wheeling on top to boot.

And the other huge issue with the previous remote that this one fixes:  no longer vertically symmetrical so no more using it upside down.  

Frankly, I think they finally got the damn thing right.  

But complainers gotta complain...?  Present a legitimate issue if you have one, but seriously... maybe you guys wanna get your information straight first?

I prefer the old remote and never understood the hate.

with that said I presented a way better implementation than Apple about 4 years ago. For the people who complained “too sensitive” the solution is SIMPLE. Integrate 3D Touch. This would allow the touch pad at both ends and only respond to the lightest and most natural finger  pressure. This would also fix sensitive buttons and orientation issues and can even be a simple gaming controller with one side controlling movement. I should probably patent this idea but logically I thought Apple would evolve the remote into this direction.

I really don’t like the circle shape. I prefer the old simple seamless square that disappears. 
  • Reply 67 of 84
    OferOfer Posts: 241unconfirmed, member
    Anyone know if the new Apple TV 4K will support spatial audio on AirPod pros? Couldn’t find anything about this in the announcement 
  • Reply 68 of 84
    I guess the only remaining question I have is: will it play 4K videos from my photo library at 4K? As it stands right now with the most recently available Apple TV 4K, it will only play my own videos back in 1080p resolution. This seems to be an artificial limitation, since it's obviously possible to play back 4K video from many different sources in various HDR formats at up to 30p on the current box. 

If the new model is required for 4K playback of personal videos, that would be petty, but would probably still convince me to upgrade. But if not? Between the new remotes working with the older models as well as the iPhone-aided calibration working with the older models, there's not much going for the new model from what I can tell.

Apple probably caps those videos at 1080p to prevent pirating. 
  • Reply 69 of 84
    elijahg said:
    elijahg said: Actually part of it is Apple forces devs (with Apple Arcade at least) to target the iPhone 6S as a minimum spec. 
    Apple Arcade has a baseline spec, but all of the games scale the quality of graphics (like textures/lighting effects) to the SoC that is being used. That's similar to how PC gaming works. 
    Supposed to* except games look identical on my X as they do on the 6S it replaced, and on my iMac. Devs don’t bother with multiple levels of assets, apparently. 

The baseline of the game will affect the rest of the hardware. It’s like upscaling. All games are like this which is why re-releases look the same except the resolution may be bumped up but ACTUAL remakes look updated. The developer is not gonna develop a different game for every chip model. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 70 of 84

AppleZulu said:
    No mention of whether or not this new Apple TV will support Spatial Audio. Any idea?
    On an iPhone and iPad, spatial audio in your AirPods Pro functions by identifying where the screen is, so that when you turn your head, the sounds orientation stay locked with the screen. This works on those devices because the device and screen are in the same place, and that device communicates that location/orientation information with your AirPods Pro. With an Apple TV box, it can sit in any orientation, near or far from your TV screen, so achieving that same audio orientation in your earphones/buds would require some sort of manual prompt that asks the user to confirm first that they are upright and facing the screen. Other than that, one would think any AppleTV 4K hardware could support the audio processing. It already supports Dolby Atmos sent to an external amp/speaker setup.

This is correct. Your TV manufacturer is not Apple. Therefore your AirPods have no idea where the TV is placed and if you’re looking at it.

The only solution would be for Apple to use both front and back facing cameras on an iPhone and asking you to fit the TV into the frame. The FaceID camera will capture your head orientation while the back camera captures the TV placement. Calculate and calibrate.
  • Reply 71 of 84
    mobird said:
    I wonder how this "new color balance feature" actually works and is it literally changing the TV''s settings, can it be disabled, does it restore to original settings when exited? My Sony Bravia XBR55A9G was professionally calibrated and I don't want my iPhone mucking with anything.

Your TV manufacturer is not Apple. Therefore Apple has no way to hack your TV settings or control them. This is Apple TV specific calibration. Some game consoles and DVD players also have device specific picture settings but once you leave the device those settings are disconnected.
  • Reply 72 of 84
    3 and a half years for this turd?!

No U1 chip in the remote.
    No speaker in the remote for feedback and Find My.
    No wireless charging for the remote.

Outdated chip that won’t encourage game developers.

No TrueDepth camera system for AR, gaming, fitness, FaceTime, Animoji, Spacial audio, mixed reality, user identification, Center Stage, TrueTone etc.
    This could have been a tiny 1/4” by 2” array that sits atop your TV.

They put an M1 chip in everything except the Apple TV?? At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if AirTags get an M1 chip before Apple TV does.

I agree this “update” is an excuse to shut down the A10x assembly line. But they could of at least future proofed the thing with an A13/14!!
    edited April 2021 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 73 of 84
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Beats said:
    3 and a half years for this turd?!

No U1 chip in the remote.
    No speaker in the remote for feedback and Find My.

Outdated chip that won’t encourage game developers.

No TrueDepth camera system for AR, gaming, fitness, FaceTime, Animoji, Spacial audio, mixed reality etc.
    This could have been a tiny 1/4” by 2” array that sits atop your TV.

They put an M1 chip in everything except the Apple TV?? At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if AirTags get an M1 chip before Apple TV does.

I agree this “update” is an excuse to shut down the A10x assembly line. But they could of at least future proofed the thing with an A13/14!!
    Yeah, and it’s not expensive enough either!
  • Reply 74 of 84
    elijahg said: Supposed to* except games look identical on my X as they do on the 6S it replaced, and on my iMac. Devs don’t bother with multiple levels of assets, apparently. 
    There may be some 2D games that have less noticeable changes, but 3D games are pretty easy to see differences from my experience. Oceanhorn 2 was one of the first games that I played on Apple Arcade and the texture/lighting/draw distance on the A12 in my iPhone XS was waaaaay better than the A9X in my 1st gen iPad Pro. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 75 of 84
    Beats said: The developer is not gonna develop a different game for every chip model. 
    They don't have to. The games scale the graphics to the hardware being used similar to low/medium/high/max settings on PC games.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 76 of 84
    techconctechconc Posts: 275member
    cpf said:
    A12 is slower for gaming than A10X.... are you sure it's not 12X?
    While there may be some benchmarks that suggest what you are saying, in practice, the A12 is a more capable chips than the A10x.  Playing a demanding game like World of Tanks Blitz, I can tell you that my son's iPad with A12 is better in practice than my aging A10x iPad Pro. 

Apple's video indicated this was somehow a tremendous upgrade though.  That clearly is NOT true.  It's a very modest upgrade.  I was hoping for an A12x at the minimum.  However, when you think about it, the A12 is perfectly fine for a streaming box and modest Apple arcade style games.

I suppose the real disappointment comes from those of us who keep hoping for a gaming edition of the AppleTV.  Something with like an M1 in it would be great.  Of course, Apple would also have to commission a few A-list games to make it appealing.  There have been rumors that Apple has been working on two versions of the Apple TV and one of them to be focused on gaming with an A14/M1 variant in it.  Let's hope there is something exciting announced this fall.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 77 of 84
    cpf said:
    A12 is slower for gaming than A10X.... are you sure it's not 12X?
    I don't think that's right

https://www.notebookcheck.net/A12-Bionic-vs-A10-Fusion-vs-A10X-Fusion_10166_8178_9162.247596.0.html
    foregoneconclusion
  • Reply 78 of 84
    llamallama Posts: 102member
    mike1 said:
    Just saw that the feature is compatible with the first generation 4K ATV. 
    Can confirm with both the phone and AppleTV on the RCs.  The difference was pretty subtle on my TV; I doubt i would have been able to tell without the toggle to show me.
  • Reply 79 of 84
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,375member
    AppleZulu said:
    No mention of whether or not this new Apple TV will support Spatial Audio. Any idea?
    On an iPhone and iPad, spatial audio in your AirPods Pro functions by identifying where the screen is, so that when you turn your head, the sounds orientation stay locked with the screen. This works on those devices because the device and screen are in the same place, and that device communicates that location/orientation information with your AirPods Pro. With an Apple TV box, it can sit in any orientation, near or far from your TV screen, so achieving that same audio orientation in your earphones/buds would require some sort of manual prompt that asks the user to confirm first that they are upright and facing the screen. Other than that, one would think any AppleTV 4K hardware could support the audio processing. It already supports Dolby Atmos sent to an external amp/speaker setup.
    Yeah, however, the most common placement of the AppleTV is where the television is. Mine sits just below it. I also imagine it would be relatively simple for Apple to use a software directional compensater for those who do place their Apple TVs elsewhere. Just surprised it’s not an available feature.

My Apple TVs are tie wrapped to the TV mounting bracket behind the TV so I don't see them. You could say I've "donglefied" them. Now ... if Apple made a sound bar version of the Apple TV it would open up a world of possibilities to do spatial specific processing of audio output, and input audio if they added mics and a camera to the thing. I hope they do something in the future to rationalize the price they charge for them. Is gaming on the Apple TV really a thing? If so, I guess the added horsepower and price can be more easily justified. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 80 of 84
    dewme said: Is gaming on the Apple TV really a thing? If so, I guess the added horsepower and price can be more easily justified.  
    It's developing into more of a thing with Apple Arcade due to the requirement for those games to also have ATV and Mac support. I always felt that people kind of missed the importance of that aspect when Arcade was originally released, but it's starting to get some momentum with games like NBA2K Arcade Edition showing up. NBA2K was a game that DID have iOS/iPadOS releases in the past, but never Mac or ATV support for bigger screen gaming. I think the new 24 inch M1 iMac will also help, as the screen quality + sound quality + graphics performance will be even more attractive for game use.
    dewmewatto_cobra