Apple TV gets AppleCare+ for first time

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
With the launch of a second-generation Apple TV 4K on Tuesday, Apple also introduced an option for new buyers to purchase an AppleCare+ extended warranty to protect their investment.

Apple TV 4K

The new service was quietly added to Apple's dedicated AppleCare webpage shortly after today's "Spring Loaded" event.

Like other AppleCare+ products, the commitment for Apple TV extends the usual one-year limited warranty and 90 days of technical support to three years after purchase date. In addition, customers receive up to two incidents of accidental damage every 12 months, with each claim costing $15 plus tax. Priority access to technical support is also included.

Prior to today's expansion of services, Apple TV was limited to vanilla AppleCare, which provides two years of coverage with no provisions for accidental damage.

AppleCare+ for Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD costs $29 and covers the main unit, Siri Remote and power cord. Customers can purchase the service when buying a new device or separately within 60 days through Apple's website, at an Apple Store or by telephone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Worth it for the remote alone 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 16
    XedXed Posts: 2,543member
    I've never broken an Apple TV and rarely ever move mine so I can't imagine getting this. What Cypresstree states about the remote is interesting, but I've also never broken a remote (although have heard a few stories) but does $15 plus the cost of Apple Care+ to waste on my 2 accidental damage claims per year really worth the risk and having to buy a new remote?
    llama
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Um I’ve had an Apple retail staff ask me if I wanted AC for my last ATV. Something like $39 for 2 years. 
  • Reply 4 of 16
    scartartscartart Posts: 201member
    Um I’ve had an Apple retail staff ask me if I wanted AC for my last ATV. Something like $39 for 2 years. 
    That was AC, this new offering is AC+.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I have Applecare on my 4K that was given to me as a Christmas present a few months ago.
    I'm not sure why this is being described as "First Time".
  • Reply 6 of 16
    I have Applecare on my 4K that was given to me as a Christmas present a few months ago.
    Try reading the posts before yours. It's not like there are many in this thread.
    muthuk_vanalingamllama
  • Reply 7 of 16
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member
    An Apple TV is one of the few Apple devices I would not get AppleCare for. It's so solid state and it just sits there. I felt the same way about HomePods.
    llama
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Xed said:
    Try reading the posts before yours. It's not like there are many in this thread.

I did.
    I still have AppleCare on the AppleTV purchased last year.  This isn't new.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Xed said:
    I did.

Scartart wrote: "That was AC, this new offering is AC+."

edited April 2021 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    I did.

THEY ARE THE SAME THING!

• Reply 11 of 16
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    OwlBundy said:
    It's about time I do put rugged cases on them but still managed to break 2 units so far. 

Are you using them as hockey pucks?
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    I did.

THEY ARE THE SAME THING!

It's amazing that you're not a Trump supporter considering that you act like one. You get almost everything wrong while never listening to others or ever admitting you're wrong even as the facts are presented to you.

AC refers to AppleCare which is effectively an extension of the original manufacturer's warranty with additional phone tech support AC+ refers to AppleCare+ which is effectively an extension of the original manufacturer's warranty with additional phone tech support PLUS replacement for accidental damage (and in some countries extends to theft and loss coverage).

You don't have to know all the ins and outs, but you should have a basic idea of the difference and not claim that Apple uses AC and AC+ interchangeably to mean the exact same thing.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    I did.

THEY ARE THE SAME THING!

It's amazing that you're not a Trump supporter considering that you act like one. You get almost everything wrong while never listening to others or ever admitting you're wrong even as the facts are presented to you.

AC refers to AppleCare which is effectively an extension of the original manufacturer's warranty with additional phone tech support AC+ refers to AppleCare+ which is effectively an extension of the original manufacturer's warranty with additional phone tech support PLUS replacement for accidental damage (and in some countries extends to theft and loss coverage).

You don't have to know all the ins and outs, but you should have a basic idea of the difference and not claim that Apple uses AC and AC+ interchangeably to mean the exact same thing.

YOU SHOULD HAVE SAID THAT THE FIRST TIME INSTEAD OF SHOUTING!

edited April 2021
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    I did.

THEY ARE THE SAME THING!

I shouldn't have to explain to same person on an Apple-focused message board every very obvious difference in products services that even my octogenarian mother understands at first glance. YOU read AC and AC+ claimed that they were exactly the same thing without a second thought of why there was a plus-sign at the end. I even first tried helping you—without your so-called shouting—by asking you to read the post before mine to see why you made a big mistake, but instead you claimed you had that post by Scartart, and then doubled down that AC and AC+ were exactly the same and that the previous poster was therefore wrong. This is a common thread with you.
    edited April 2021 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    I did.

THEY ARE THE SAME THING!

I shouldn't have to explain to same person on an Apple-focused message board every very obvious difference in products services that even my octogenarian mother understands at first glance. YOU read AC and AC+ claimed that they were exactly the same thing without a second thought of why there was a plus-sign at the end. I even first tried helping you—without your so-called shouting—by asking you to read the post before mine to see why you made a big mistake, but instead you claimed you had that post by Scartart, and then doubled down that AC and AC+ were exactly the same and that the previous poster was therefore wrong. This is a common thread with you.

SO YOU CHOSE SHOUTING DRIVEL!