Black 12.9-inch Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro listed as 'new,' unavailable to order

Posted:
in iPad edited 2:57PM

The existing black Magic Keyboard for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro is listed as "new" after Apple's Tuesday event, suggesting Apple is readying a minor hardware revision.

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider
Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider

Apple on Tuesday unveiled a new white Magic Keyboard color option for its iPad Pro lineup. Other than the new finish, no new features or changes were announced.

While the black Magic Keyboard should technically be unchanged, the version compatible with the 12.9-inch iPad Pro is listed as "new" and is currently not up for order.

At this point, it isn't clear why the black Magic Keyboard for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro is unavailable, since customers can still purchase the black Magic Keyboard compatible with the 11-inch model. Pricing across the Magic Keyboard lineup remains the same after Tuesday's event.

Alongside the new white keyboard accessory, Apple also unveiled two new iPad Pro models at its "Spring Loaded" event on Tuesday. The 11-inch iPad Pro is now equipped with an M1 chip and M1 chip and a 12.9-inch iPad Pro also includes a mini LED Liquid Retina XDR display.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    jeromecjeromec Posts: 192member
    2021 12.9" iPad Pro with Liquid Retina XDR display = thicker than 2020 and 2018 models
    --> needs new magic keyboard to accommodate new thickness.
    twokatmew
  • Reply 2 of 3
    dymmasdymmas Posts: 33member
    I chatted with Apple Support yesterday afternoon - they confirmed that my iPad Magic Keyboard, which I bought in June last year, is compatible with the new 2021 iPad Pro.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 3
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    jeromec said:
    2021 12.9" iPad Pro with Liquid Retina XDR display = thicker than 2020 and 2018 models
    --> needs new magic keyboard to accommodate new thickness.
    It.s 0.5mm thicker.  Probably well within the tolerances of cases/keyboards.
    watto_cobra