New 'Lossless' Apple Music logo discovered online

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited May 2021
A new "Lossless" logo has been spotted within the web version of Apple Music, as rumors of Apple's upgrading to offer higher-quality music mount.

New
New "Lossless" logo found on Apple Music website

Following both Apple's teaser announcement about the future of Apple Music, a new "Lossless" graphic has been discovered.

Hmm look at what I found in the Apple Music website. pic.twitter.com/Lb4HbQ6Nww

-- Stijn de Vries (@StijnDV)

Designer Stijn de Vries on Twitter says that he discovered the image in Apple Music on the web. Currently, the logo can't be seen in the developer view of page resources, meaning that Apple may have removed it.

Previously, many other references to lossless audio were found on the site, too. The logo discovery by de Vries was first spotted by MacRumors.

Apple is expected to announce a high-fidelity option for Apple Music, which may be called "Apple Music Hi-Fi." Previous rumors have claimed that it would be launched on May 18, at the same time as newAirPods.

According to sources in the record label industry, the new lossless quality audio service will cost an extra $9.99 on top of existing Apple Music subscription fees.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    If they add it as part of the Apple One bundle I’ll probably bite.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    There has to be more to this for them to have a teaser like they did.

saarek said:

It should be free to all Apple Music subscribers. I heard they might add a “+” tier to Arcade. I would hate to have an “Apple Music+”.

It’s too confusing and we already pay enough for subscriptions.
    elijahgravnorodompulseimages
  • Reply 3 of 12
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    Beats said:

saarek said:

It should be free to all Apple Music subscribers. I heard they might add a “+” tier to Arcade. I would hate to have an “Apple Music+”.

I can't imagine it's more than a sweetener to make Apple Music more enticing and competitive rather than an add-on tier. Likely for two reasons: In a blind comparison, most people would be unable to hear the difference, and there are already lossless music subscription services for the same price (e.g. Tidal).

Similarly I don't imagine Arcade can become Arcade+ in its current format. Arcade still needs a lot more content before they can attempt a double pay-wall. We all saw how much negative PR was generated by the DPW for Mulan on Disney+ (it was later removed). 
  • Reply 4 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Beats said:

saarek said:

That’s a pretty naive wish I think. Almost assuredly Apple will charge a premium for this service. But we’ll see. While there is probably a very small market segment for lossless music steaming (another post thought 99% of listeners couldn’t tell the difference) Apple might include it at no additional cost as a loss leader. Standing alone lossless wouldn’t have enough subscribers to make a profit. As mentioned just look at Tidal, the floundering service that just sits there doing nothing.
    edited May 2021
  • Reply 5 of 12
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 700member
    Tim?  Miracle Ear for you on line 1...
    davfarMplsP
  • Reply 6 of 12
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    jpellino said:
    I had the exact same thought...
    So if Apple sued Prepear for trademark infringement, they’ll need to prepare their concession for when they get sued by Miracle Ear.

• Reply 7 of 12
    lkrupp said:
    Beats said:

saarek said:

That’s a pretty naive wish I think. Almost assuredly Apple will charge a premium for this service. But we’ll see. While there is probably a very small market segment for lossless music steaming (another post thought 99% of listeners couldn’t tell the difference) Apple might include it at no additional cost as a loss leader. Standing alone lossless wouldn’t have enough subscribers to make a profit. As mentioned just look at Tidal, the floundering service that just sits there doing nothing.
    Yes, as I’ve said before, 99% of Apple’s customers couldn’t tell the difference and close to that many don’t have equipment or listening environments that actually allow them to appreciate the difference. If you’re listening in your car, in the kitchen while making dinner, while working out or gathering with friends it doesn’t make a bit of difference. This is all about the appearances of having a ‘hi fidelity’ service to compete with spotify, etc and about charging the extra fee for it. But hey, if people are willing to pay for it...
    lkrupp
  • Reply 8 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Beats said:

saarek said:

It appears you have gotten your wish. No additional charge for lossless. A bit surprising to me because of the profit imperative but very good none the less.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 12
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    They should've charged a premium for it.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    rs0212rs0212 Posts: 25member
    jpellino said:
    Exactly. I immediately thought of Miracle-Ear when I saw this. 
  • Reply 11 of 12
    MplsP said:
    jpellino said:
    So if Apple sued Prepear for trademark infringement, they’ll need to prepare their concession for when they get sued by Miracle Ear.

They are clearly totally different. One is based on sine...the other is based on cosine!!
    MplsP
  • Reply 12 of 12
    MplsP said:
    jpellino said:

They are clearly totally different. One is based on sine...the other is based on cosine!!
    🤦‍♂️ 
    How silly of me - it's totally obvious now that you pointed it out!