Apple pushes launch of Podcast subscriptions and channels to June

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2021
Apple on Friday informed podcast creators that the rollout of a newly announced subscription service has been delayed until June.

Podcasts

The company failed to pin the delay on a specific issue, saying in an email to podcast producers that it is working to deliver the "best experience for creators and listeners." Both subscriptions and channels are impacted by the change.

Announced in April, Podcast subscriptions enables creators to sell access to shows, exclusive content, ad-free programming and more through the Podcasts platform. Podcasters can offer free samples and set subscription pricing, which defaults to automated monthly billing. Annual subscription options are also available.

System level support for subscriptions and channels rolled out with the release of iOS 14.6, iPadOS 14.6 and macOS Big Sur 11.4 this week, though the service is not yet live.

Apple in its newsletter goes on to acknowledge lingering problems with Podcasts Connect that held back publication of scheduled content. Those issues have been addressed, the company says.

Finally, Apple plans to introduce "additional enhancements" to Podcast's Library in the coming weeks, an apparent change spurred by listener feedback regarding the app's most recent update.

Follow all the details of WWDC 2021 with the comprehensive AppleInsider coverage of the whole week-long event from June 7 through June 11, including details of all the new launches and updates.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get the latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say, "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    WgkruegerWgkrueger Posts: 352member
    So, in three days? 
  • Reply 2 of 8
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Wgkrueger said:
    So, in three days? 
    Unlikely. This should come as no surprise to any podcast content creator.

This announcement to content producers was made three days before the end of the month; moreover Monday the 31st is a national holiday here in the US.

Most likely Apple has delayed the debut to late June. They aren't going to flick the switch on June 1.
    edited May 2021
  • Reply 3 of 8
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    Details are likely to be announced at the WWDC on or about June 7.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    I doubt they'd spend any WWDC-distraction time on it. It's hardly news to the podcast community, let alone developers and the audience of the keynote.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Again unlikely.

It's not like podcasts are a new content type or major revenue stream. Most likely the announcement will be made through standard communication channels to podcast developers or mentioned during online podcast-focused WWDC sessions.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    Is the podcast subscription service software or hardware?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    geekmee said:
    Is the podcast subscription service software or hardware?
    It's software. The update has already been rolled out, and you already have it if you recently updated your iOS device. I had to wait an hour yesterday for the download and installation to complete. However when you open the Podcasts app there's no actual visible change yet: Apple is delaying the visibility of the changes for a few more days. I speculated above that Apple would announce the change at WWDC keynote on June 7, but two people said above that that's unlikely. They might be right. Or not.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    22july2013 said:
    ... I speculated above that Apple would announce the change at WWDC keynote on June 7, but two people said above that that's unlikely. They might be right. Or not.
    I just don't think it is big enough news to warrant much mention in a keynote. I suppose if they don't have much hardware and spend all the time on the OSs, maybe Podcasts will get a few minutes and then it might be mentioned? I suppose there is the angle that if they trying to compete with Spotify, there could be marketing reasons to push the prominence out of proportion to the importance.

The thing is, Apple is excited about this, and a few big podcast folks are... the kind with enough popularity to pull off subscriptions... famous people, Hollywood, Big-Media, etc. But, I think most of the podcast community is more concerned than excited. It wouldn't be a good fit for like 99% of podcasters and runs a bit against the traditional view of podcasting.

Some are thinking of throwing their episodes over on the subscription service (in addition to their current free feed) and setting the price low, as an attempt at a low-friction donation model. I'm sure there will be experimenting with it. But, there are a bunch of downsides as well. Your episodes in the subscription area technically aren't podcasts anymore and they are limited to Apple Podcasts player.