Sandmarc releases wireless charging magnetic car mount for iPhone 12 line

Posted:
in iPhone
Sandmarc has announced a new car accessory for the iPhone 12 lineup. The Active Car Mount magnetically holds your phone while wirelessly charging.

The Sandmarc Active car mount
The Sandmarc Active Car Mount

The Sandmarc Active Car Mount has a sleek all-black design and has a ring of magnets to connect via the MagSafe magnet ring to any iPhone 12 model. It charges via Qi and is capable of outputting up to 7.5W. It is powered by a sole USB Type-C port though a car charger is not included.

According to the company, the magnets are extra strong to help prevent even serious bumps from dislodging the phone while driving.

It is currently up for preorder from Sandmarc for $59.99. Shipments of the device will start on July 27.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Do none of these companies that have vent mounts not realize that many cars and trucks have vertical vents veins? I would be interested in a magnetic mount that would work on vertical veins. The horizontals won't work in my vehicle!
  • Reply 2 of 8
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 834member
    respencer said:
    Do none of these companies that have vent mounts not realize that many cars and trucks have vertical vents veins? I would be interested in a magnetic mount that would work on vertical veins. The horizontals won't work in my vehicle!
    They do realize it, and the gripping "fingers" on the back of vent mounts I have used in the past all rotated to accommodate vertical as well as horizontal veins. I'm not positive that's how this Sandmarc unit is designed, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't. One other note from past experience with vent mounts: the problem with bumps is NOT the phone detaching from the mount, it's the mount with phone detaching from the vent. So the extra magnetic grip on the phone, while nice to have, isn't going to stop the mount and phone from dropping off the vent when going over serious bumps.  
  • Reply 3 of 8
    SpitbathSpitbath Posts: 91member
    respencer said:
    Do they also not realize that vents blow out heat for a good portion of the year in many regions? I've had my phone shut down from overheating with this style mount. Also, when it's 113º like it's been recently in the northwest, I want that glorious cold air blowing directly on my face!        
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Hank2.0Hank2.0 Posts: 151member
    It is powered by a sole USB Type-C port though a car charger is not included.
    Uh, doesn't the vast majority of cars today have a USB-A socket, or the even older cigarette lighter socket? Why would a car charger be needed? Is it a voltage issue? If not, couldn't these guys at least spring for a USB-A to USB-c adapter?

• Reply 5 of 8
    Hank2.0 said:
    Uh, doesn't the vast majority of cars today have a USB-A socket, or the even older cigarette lighter socket? Why would a car charger be needed? Is it a voltage issue? If not, couldn't these guys at least spring for a USB-A to USB-c adapter?

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B079LYHNSR/
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Hank2.0 said:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B079LYHNSR/
    "Doesn't work with Magsafe charger"
  • Reply 7 of 8
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    respencer said:
    Seems like it rotates, did you even bother to look?

• Reply 8 of 8
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Hank2.0 said:

It includes a USB-C to USB-A cable, did you even bother to look?