Apple's 'iPhone SE 3' to reportedly pack 4.7-inch LCD screen, 'A15' chip, and 5G

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2021
The next iteration of Apple's affordable entry-level iPhone SE series will be powered by a next-generation "A15" system-on-chip and boast a design largely unchanged from its predecessor, according to a report on Wednesday.

iPhone SE

Citing sources familiar with Apple's plans, Nikkei Asia reports the forthcoming low-cost iPhone variant will carry on the SE tradition of packing contemporary internals into an aging chassis design.

The model due out in early 2022 is expected to retain an iPhone 8 aesthetic, but will feature thoroughly modern components like an "A15" chip anticipated to debut with this year's "iPhone 13" release in the fall. Cellular connectivity is predicted to receive a bump to 5G thanks to Qualcomm's X60 modem, bringing the iPhone SE in line with iPhone 12.

Not all systems will benefit from cutting-edge technology, however, as sources claim Apple intends to stick with a 4.7-inch LCD panel instead of moving to the OLED screens found on its flagship handsets.

The budget device could launch in the first half of 2022, the report said.

Today's rumblings are in line with previous reports regarding a new iPhone SE model. On Monday, DigiTimes, citing industry sources, said "iPhone SE 3" would debut in early 2022, the same timeframe forecast by analyst Ming-Chi Kuo in June.

Kuo, like today's report, predicted Apple to bring 5G support and an upgraded A-series chip to the next iPhone SE. He also believes the device will be Apple's "cheapest 5G iPhone model ever."

Finally, Nikkei sources say 2022 will mark an end for Apple's iPhone mini experiment.

"It is pretty much decided that there won't be a Mini next year, and there will be a relatively cost-effective version of the largest iPhone Pro Max instead. However, the designs for the detailed specifications for the four new models next year are not yet locked in," one person said.

Echoing recent reports, sources blame the axing of Apple's diminutive premium smartphone on unexpectedly low demand for iPhone 12 mini. Instead of a new "mini," the tech giant is mulling an expansion on the top end with two 6.7-inch devices, sources said.

Kuo was among the first to predict the adoption of identical display sizes for both low- and high-end "iPhone 14" offerings. That would leave class-exclusive features like a rumored under-screen Touch ID system as key differentiators between standard and "Pro" lines.

Apple is aiming to begin mass production of "iPhone 13" in August, with suppliers churning out as many as 95 million units between then and the end of January, Nikkei said. Those figures nearly mirror estimates of 90 million units in 2021 cited by a report last week.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    My 12 mini should last me a few years.  Maybe they will try the mini thing again in '24.
    entropyspulseimages
  • Reply 2 of 13
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    If only they offered the mini with stainless steel and maybe a few other of the "refinements" if size is not the limiting factor.
    pulseimages
  • Reply 3 of 13
    rinosaurrinosaur Posts: 32member
    So chances are there will be a 13 mini right? Just not 14. I am considering dropping down to that size from 12P.  
    pulseimages
  • Reply 4 of 13
    doozydozendoozydozen Posts: 539member
    rinosaur said:
    So chances are there will be a 13 mini right? Just not 14. I am considering dropping down to that size from 12P.  
    Yes, strongly predicted to see a new iPhone mini this fall, and if initial sales are weak, it will be the last mini. 
    pulseimages
  • Reply 5 of 13
    opinionopinion Posts: 103member
    I hope the mini stays as an alternative. I think we are many who prefer a smaller phone. I also think that people just got used to the thought that big phones is what they need but if they would try a small one a few days I actually think that many of them would never want a big phone again. For my part I tried a bigger iPhone but it just was too big, like carrying a brick around. Of course I can understand that some pro features is what people want but not neccesarily a big phone. If Apple could squeeze the pro features into a mini I think the sweet spot will be hit.
    edited July 2021 pulseimagesh2p
  • Reply 6 of 13
    clexmanclexman Posts: 209member
    I love my 12 mini. I drop it a lot less, I can do everything one handed and most of all, it fits nicely in my pocket.

The negatives are that some websites and emails do not render correctly and I don’t have a zoom lens. Battery life is only an issue on a long travel day, but I haven’t been flying a ton these days and I have never run out of juice. 
    pulseimages
  • Reply 7 of 13
    God forbid Apple creates a new design for the SE.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    opinion said:
    I hope the mini stays as an alternative. I think we are many who prefer a smaller phone. I also think that people just got used to the thought that big phones is what they need but if they would try a small one a few days I actually think that many of them would never want a big phone again. For my part I tried a bigger iPhone but it just was too big, like carrying a brick around. Of course I can understand that some pro features is what people want but not neccesarily a big phone. If Apple could squeeze the pro features into a mini I think the sweet spot will be hit.

I didn't think I'd like a big phone when I got a 6+.  It turns out I like a big phone a LOT better than a small one.  At one point I used a 7 for a few weeks, the small screen drove me nuts and I sold it.

I wish they'd come out with a SE+.  I won't give up the home button, it's just so much better than the slide.  I've got a X that I'm currently using to test iOS 15, it's absolutely terrible, the notch is almost as bad as the lack of home button, and I didn't even think I'd hate the notch until I used a phone with it.

• Reply 9 of 13
    1348513485 Posts: 347member
    I think if you're looking to keep a smaller format phone, the iPhone SE 2020 hits that spot. It's really the same size as the 6 with a bigger screen, still has the home button, sharper screen, etc. And pretty cheap to boot, especially as a refurb if available. Colors somewhat limited if that is an issue, though.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Any guess what will be price ? $399 ?
  • Reply 11 of 13
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    “[Kuo] also believes the device will be Apple's ‘cheapest 5G iPhone model ever.’”

Well, since Apple only has 3 5G phones, all of which are the current flagship 12 model, that’s not much of a prediction. 

darkvader said:
    opinion said:

I didn't think I'd like a big phone when I got a 6+.  It turns out I like a big phone a LOT better than a small one.  At one point I used a 7 for a few weeks, the small screen drove me nuts and I sold it.

I wish they'd come out with a SE+.  I won't give up the home button, it's just so much better than the slide.  I've got a X that I'm currently using to test iOS 15, it's absolutely terrible, the notch is almost as bad as the lack of home button, and I didn't even think I'd hate the notch until I used a phone with it.

I think the home button is going the way of the dodo. What is so hard about swiping up? My wife is a relative technophobe and was worried when she upgraded her 6s to an 11 last year, but she’s had absolutely zero problems with it. 

The same with the notch. The only time I really notice it is when I’m trying to see an actual percentage of battery left. I have a hard time understanding people who complain about the notch. Would you rather have a ‘forehead’ and waste the entire top 5mm? 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 13
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    To fend off cheap android 5G phones competetion, Apple must figure out spec and price point for 4.7" 5G iPhone SE3. At $399 trickle down 5G and $499 full 5G like iPhone12