Apple culls iPhone XR, five iPads from list of devices that support Spatial Audio with bui...

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has shed some light on which specific devices will support the Apple Music Spatial Audio with Dolby Atmos, and some older iPhone and iPad models aren't making the cut.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

The company on Thursday updated a support document to say that the built-in speakers of the iPhone XR, iPad mini 5, iPad Air 3, and the sixth- to eighth-generation iPads won't support the 3D audio format.

"The built-in speakers on an iPhone XS or later (except iPhone SE), iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation or later), iPad Pro 11-inch, or iPad Air (4th generation)," the updated page reads.

Apple's recent changes make for a confusing situation, since the support document previously stated that the iPhone XR or later would support Dolby Atmos using built-in speakers. It said the same thing for the iPad mini 5 and the entry-level iPads.

Despite the lack of speaker support, users with devices that aren't compatible can still listen to Dolby Atmos Spatial Audio using headphones like AirPods, AirPods Pro, AirPods Max, and a number of Beats by Dre products.

The change to the Apple support document was first spotted by writer and editor Holger Eilhard.

Apple now mentions Android devices as supported for Dolby Atoms in Apple Music. At the same time: bad news for built-in speakers on older iPads and iPhones. See https://t.co/c3K4hfwGWE pic.twitter.com/FscffqpA3H

-- Holger Eilhard (@holgr)

Apple on Thursday also released an updated version of Apple Music for Android with Spatial Audio and lossless streaming. However, although Spatial Audio will work on "compatible" Android devices, it isn't currently clear which models those are.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mr lizardmr lizard Posts: 354member
    Apple has shed some light on which specific devices will support the Apple Music Spatial Audio with Dolby Atmos, and some older iPhone and iPad models aren't making the cut.”

Using the future tense “will support” is a weird way to put it. Spatial Audio with Dolby Atmos has been available for a month. 

What Apple has done is changed what devices do support it, not will support it. This isn’t “shedding light”, this is retroactively changing which devices are already supported. 

Apple's recent changes make for a confusing situation, since the support document previously stated that the iPhone XR or later would support Dolby Atmos using built-in speakers.”

Again with the future tense! Does support, nor would support. 

The question is: did Apple make a mistake and have they inadvertently been claiming for the past month that devices were playing Spatial Audio when in fact they weren’t? 

Or were those devices in fact playing Spatial Audio and now Apple’s pushed out an update that removes that functionality? 
    elijahgn2itivguyurahara
  • Reply 2 of 6
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Pretty odd they'd mention the XR as supporting Atmos when the X which was released at the same time as the cheaper XR apparently did not. Also seems that no one has noticed it's not working on the XR... Which means it either was working until now, or it isn't noticeable enough for anyone to actually realise it wasn't working.
    edited July 2021 avon b7urahara
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,126member
    elijahg said:
    Pretty odd they'd mention the XR as supporting Atmos when the X which was released at the same time as the cheaper XR apparently did not. Also seems that no one has noticed it's not working on the XR... Which means it either was working until now, or it isn't noticeable enough for anyone to actually realise it wasn't working.
    The X (and 8) were released in 2017.

The XR was released alongside the XS a year later.

Is Spatial Audio very noticeable on a closely spaced set of external speakers? I can understand on the iPad pros with 4 speakers, but… time to experiment!
  • Reply 4 of 6
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    mknelson said:
    elijahg said:
    The X (and 8) were released in 2017.

The XR was released alongside the XS a year later.

Is Spatial Audio very noticeable on a closely spaced set of external speakers? I can understand on the iPad pros with 4 speakers, but… time to experiment!
    Oh my bad, didn't realise that. And I was questioning that myself. Any results?!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I believe there is confusion regarding Dolby Atmos versus spatial audio. They are two different things. Dolby Atmos is the way recordings are produced that allows for a surround sound. Spatial audio is an Apple-specific feature that interprets that recording in a way that simulates surround without surround speakers. Just because a speaker system supports Atmos doesn’t mean it’s spatial audio.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Shocking news out of Cupertino! Butterscotch Lifesaver sized loudspeaker to not support Atmos. XR users around the globe howl in anger shouting ‘I can’t hear one iota of difference out of the 1/2 inch speaker within a smartphone …..but dammit! I want my Atmos!”

The silliness of clickbait never ceases to be entertaining along with the gullible and trolls who eat it up. 
    rbnetengr