'iPhone 14 Pro' may come with titanium alloy frame or enclosure in 2022

Posted:
in iPhone
A new analyst report claims that Apple will use a titanium alloy chassis or internal frame in the "Pro" models of the "iPhone 14."

Future iPhones may come with the option of a titanium alloy case
Future iPhones may come with the option of a titanium alloy case

In a note to investors seen by AppleInsider Investment firm JP Morgan Chase's China office has reported to its clients that Apple intends to introduce a titanium alloy to the iPhone for the first time. Apple has already used titanium in some Apple Watch models, for the physical Apple Card, and at times for the PowerBook.

Titanium's toughness, though, is only achieved when it used as part of a titanium alloy with other metals. Titanium is also prone to smudges from fingerprints, and its finish can be unattractive. Apple is therefore certain to be using an alloy, and it presumably addresses these issues.

JP Morgan also claims that the interior of the "iPhone 14" range will see greater changes than that of the forthcoming "iPhone 13." It suggests that Apple expects next year to be another "supercycle," with its new features driving greater than usual upgrades just as 5G did for the iPhone 12.

The report also backs up previous claims by analyst Ming-Chi Kuo that there won't be an "iPhone 14 mini." Instead, there will be two models with 6.1-inch screens, and two with the larger 6.7-inch displays.

JP Morgan has an excellent reporting accuracy on Apple's financial situation. It has less visibility on Apple's actual plans, however, and while it may report what's going on inside the supply chain, its timing on release is generally off.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    Commercially-pure titanium is stronger than steel and significantly lighter. The perception of finish issues is mostly because titanium oxide is white, less shiny, and much softer than the unoxidized titanium underneath it. Since the oxide layer isn't protective, titanium machine parts are often coated to prevent oxidation (titanium implants are a different story; they're stored in an oxygen-free environment until implantation to improve integration with bone). For parts which aren't subject to a lot of metal-on-metal wear, a few resins have been popular for a while. I have a nice pen machined out of titanium, flame-anodized (giving it bands of vibrant colors), then resin-coated for protection. It looks really good, and doesn't show fingerprints or wear.

In contrast, aluminum oxide is far, far harder than the unoxidized aluminum under it (emeralds, rubies, and sapphires are aluminum oxide with various impurities), and it's slightly porous which lets it accept dyes nicely. In aluminum, anodization is used to accelerate the growth of the oxide layer and optionally dye it.
    dewmeGeorgeBMaccrowleydrdavidroundaboutnowapplguypatchythepiratetmaymike1
  • Reply 2 of 9
    thttht Posts: 5,476member
    Sounds like and Edition model a price tier above the steel models? Steel models moving down $100 and titanium models take the current price tiers?

The pro models are heavy for my taste. If they were lighter, I think it would have tilted my over to them. 
    caladaniandrdavid
  • Reply 3 of 9
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    With the Apple Watch I don't need to carry my phone as much -- it now sits on the table or in my car far more than it ever used to.   As a result, I am fine with a larger phone.

But for those who carry their phones, there seems to be a portion who prefer a smaller phone.   And, I can see that.  Like for construction workers who are constantly bending and stooping.   I bent my iPhone 6+ building a flight of stone & flagstone steps going up to my front door.  At first it just had a cracked screen then it developed touch disease.   The smaller sized phone would not have done that.   But, besides, worry about bending the phone (hopefully a concern of the past), it simply isn't comfortable to bend and stoop with a phone in your pocket -- or carry a big phone on a run.

While the mini may not be producing as much profit as the larger phones, I would hope that Apple would consider the needs of all of its customers.   There are ways to do that -- they did it before:   simply use older components to make a smaller, cheaper phone.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Apologies for going slightly off topic here, but I’ve been waiting for a story about titanium in order to post a query to my fellow AI denizens. 

Does anybody out there own a Series 5 in titanium? If so, how was your experience with it? How has it held up after 2 years? Does the finish really scratch as easily as the keyboard warriors online like to claim? Was it worth the extra $$? Would you purchase another one in the future? 

I’m torn over whether to upgrade my aluminum 5 to SS or titanium this fall…and I try to avoid my local Apple Store as much as possible, as the experience there is always terrible, so I don’t have any actual exposure to them to base my decision on. I know AI readers will give their honest opinions, but please limit them only to people that actually own the titanium models. 
    edited July 2021 drdavid
  • Reply 5 of 9
    zimmie said:
    Commercially-pure titanium is stronger than steel and significantly lighter. The perception of finish issues is mostly because titanium oxide is white, less shiny, and much softer than the unoxidized titanium underneath it. Since the oxide layer isn't protective, titanium machine parts are often coated to prevent oxidation (titanium implants are a different story; they're stored in an oxygen-free environment until implantation to improve integration with bone). For parts which aren't subject to a lot of metal-on-metal wear, a few resins have been popular for a while. I have a nice pen machined out of titanium, flame-anodized (giving it bands of vibrant colors), then resin-coated for protection. It looks really good, and doesn't show fingerprints or wear.

In contrast, aluminum oxide is far, far harder than the unoxidized aluminum under it (emeralds, rubies, and sapphires are aluminum oxide with various impurities), and it's slightly porous which lets it accept dyes nicely. In aluminum, anodization is used to accelerate the growth of the oxide layer and optionally dye it.
    Good info!

Another thing I would add that a lot of people don't realize is that titanium is actually heavier than aluminum. Because of its strength, you can use less of it--that's how you can get a titanium part that weighs less than a part that might otherwise be made of aluminum.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Japhey said:
    Apologies for going slightly off topic here, but I’ve been waiting for a story about titanium in order to post a query to my fellow AI denizens. 

Does anybody out there own a Series 5 in titanium? If so, how was your experience with it? How has it held up after 2 years? Does the finish really scratch as easily as the keyboard warriors online like to claim? Was it worth the extra $$? Would you purchase another one in the future? 

I’m torn over whether to upgrade my aluminum 5 to SS or titanium this fall…and I try to avoid my local Apple Store as much as possible, as the experience there is always terrible, so I don’t have any actual exposure to them to base my decision on. I know AI readers will give their honest opinions, but please limit them only to people that actually own the titanium models. 
    I had the Series 5 Edition in Titanium for about 11 months before selling it on in order to upgrade to the S6 Hermès. At the time, the buyer remarked how pristine the titanium looked, and he was very happy w/ his purchase from me.

So, from my own experience - no - the Titanium does not scratch as easily as some suggest, and in sunlight, the brushed finish of the Titanium diffuses sunlight to an almost SS-like level, making it a fine looking accessory.

On my Stainless Steel Hermes, I am constantly aware of the possibility of micro abrasions but 10 months in it’s holding up well.
    ArchStanton
  • Reply 7 of 9
    XedXed Posts: 2,611member
    I'd love to have a lighter iPhone. They aren't unwieldily but their density and weight is evidence when you pick one up. Using a Ti alloy for an internal frame sounds like a good call.

With the Apple Watch I don't need to carry my phone as much -- it now sits on the table or in my car far more than it ever used to.   As a result, I am fine with a larger phone.
    A bit off topic, but I also like relying on my Watch a lot more than my iPhone. I do still carry my iPhone with me, but that's mostly because of shortcomings in the Watch. Specifically, its inability to pair with my vehicle via BT.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Japhey said:

I had the Series 5 Edition in Titanium for about 11 months before selling it on in order to upgrade to the S6 Hermès. At the time, the buyer remarked how pristine the titanium looked, and he was very happy w/ his purchase from me.

So, from my own experience - no - the Titanium does not scratch as easily as some suggest, and in sunlight, the brushed finish of the Titanium diffuses sunlight to an almost SS-like level, making it a fine looking accessory.

On my Stainless Steel Hermes, I am constantly aware of the possibility of micro abrasions but 10 months in it’s holding up well.
    Thank you for your response. I honestly thought a few more people around here would have the Ti models. My main concern originally was that the natural titanium would look too similar to the silver aluminum model, which I find a bit cheap looking. But since my first instinct was to go titanium, I’ll probably just follow it. Plus, since it comes with an extra band in a color I would probably buy anyway, the price difference over the SS is negligible. Thanks again. 
  • Reply 9 of 9
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,731member