Apple updates GarageBand with 'Sound Packs' from top artists, producers

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has announced that it is expanding the GarageBand app for iOS and iPadOS with new sound packs and remix sessions from some of the top artists and producers in the world.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

In the new update on Thursday, Apple is introducing new Sound Packs and Producer Packs from some of the most popular artists and music producers in the world, including Dua Lipa and Lady Gaga.

GarageBand users will be able to refine their remixing skills with sessions from those two artists. During the sessions, they'll be able to interact with isolated vocal, beat, and instrument tracks for Dua Lipa's "Break My Heart" and Lady Gaga's "Free Woman." Additionally, the sessions will feature videos from the artists explaining the story behind their songs. The "Remix Sessions" expand on existing educational sessions provided through the Today at Apple program.

Alongside the Remix Sessions, Apple is also providing a variety of royalty-free loops, beats, instruments, drum kits, synth patches, and samples created by Boys Noize, Mark Lettieri, Oak Felder, Soulection, Take A Daytrip, Tom Misch, and TRAKGIRL.

The company is also releasing an additional Sound Pack that will serve as a companion experience for upcoming Apple TV+ original series "Watch the Sound With Mark Ronson," which will be an exploration of the intersection between music and technology.

With the companion pack, users will be able to get a hands-on experience of the music technology featured in each episode of the series.

The new Remix Sessions and Producer Packs are available starting Thursday as a free download from the GarageBand sound library. GarageBand itself is free on the App Store for iPhone and iPad users.

More information about the Sound Packs is available on Apple's website.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 496member
    Way cool! Apple has constantly maintained and expanded GarageBand/Logic from day one of purchasing the Emagic team.
    byronl
  • Reply 2 of 9
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Oh sh**!! Producer sound packs free in a DAW?! This is revolutionary! For those who don’t dabble in music creation compare it to TouchID as far as how innovative this is.

But where the hell is Logic support?! We better get a bunch of Artist packs. Logic is in need of new sounds.
    edited July 2021
  • Reply 3 of 9
    byronlbyronl Posts: 363member
    Beats said:
    Oh sh**!! Producer sound packs free in a DAW?! This is revolutionary! For those who don’t dabble in music creation compare it to TouchID as far as how innovative this is.

But where the hell is Logic support?! We better get a bunch of Artist packs. Logic is in need of new sounds.
    wait how is this so innovative im confused
  • Reply 4 of 9
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    AI - things people don’t like: 1) popups. 2) auto-playing videos. 3) popups of auto-playing videos. 4) popups of auto-playing videos with very small tap targets for closing and which don’t seem to work. 
    dysamoriamuthuk_vanalingamyoyo2222
  • Reply 5 of 9
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    AI - things people don’t like: 1) popups. 2) auto-playing videos. 3) popups of auto-playing videos. 4) popups of auto-playing videos with very small tap targets for closing and which don’t seem to work. 
    At some point I’m probably going to feel more resistance to coming here than tolerance for coming here and dealing with the crap.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I presume these updates are why my Garage Band notifications tell me there are new sound packs available, but actually aren’t.

Apple couldn’t be bothered to consider what happens when users have not updated to the most recent version; following the notifications takes me to GarageBand and then does nothing at all.

IE: Older versions get the notifications but not the actual sound packs. I don’t mind the sound packs not being available to my older versions, but I do mind the notifications.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    dysamoria said:
    I presume these updates are why my Garage Band notifications tell me there are new sound packs available, but actually aren’t.

Apple couldn’t be bothered to consider what happens when users have not updated to the most recent version; following the notifications takes me to GarageBand and then does nothing at all.

IE: Older versions get the notifications but not the actual sound packs. I don’t mind the sound packs not being available to my older versions, but I do mind the notifications.

The Spatial Audio promos were worse. Apple Music tells you it’s available and brags and even allows you to “listen” to playlists but it’s just an audio mess on devices that don’t support it. 🤦‍♂️ And you think that’s what Spatial Audio sounds like.

byronl said:
    Beats said:

wait how is this so innovative im confused

Usually artist packs like these are not included with DAWs, probably because they’re expensive ($20-100 each). I’ve owned about 6 DAWs and haven’t even thought of this idea. Correct me if I’m wrong but never seen this before.

I hope these come to Logic otherwise WTF?! Logic is the gift that keeps on giving. 
  • Reply 8 of 9
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    MisterKit said:
    Way cool! Apple has constantly maintained and expanded GarageBand/Logic from day one of purchasing the Emagic team.
    Nope. GarageBand, as far as I know, is the only app that is no loner developed for macOS prior to Big Sur. Pages, Numbers, Keynote, iMovie, etc. still receive updates for Catalina and earlier. But not GarageBand. It requires macOS 11.0 and later so anyone not on Big Sur will not receive an updated GarageBand. GarageBand is EOL for those users at version 10.3.5
  • Reply 9 of 9
    yoyo2222yoyo2222 Posts: 144member
    Agree 100%. However, I use either Reader Mode or, maybe better, Kill Sticky to make them disappear. https://tinyurl.com/ym88bzau