Tim Cook, other CEOs urge Congress to pass citizenship path for Dreamers

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    We can all talk about the "would have, could have, should have" and have the minimum wage and employment debate all day but the bottom line is that there's a problem and it may involve a practical solution that all may not agree is perfect.

We have the problem because of a broken immigration system). Cook et. al are right:  Deal with today's Dreamers practically and fairly. If they want to be here and contribute, then I welcome them with open arms.  

However: the execs should also be saying is that it needs to go hand in hand with Congress fixing the broken immigration system that caused the situation in the first place.  (including fixing the H1-B mess that high tech is addicted to that puts lots of US tech workers out of a job). The solution needs to be put into law - Executive Orders are not the solution as they can be reviewed/stuck down by the courts or changed at the whim of administrations. 

You can't just fix the Dreamer problem - if you do, we will keep having the same conversation ad nauseam in the future.

It is not up to the President to fix this. This is squarely Congress's failure (not Clinton, Bush, Obama, Trump or Biden) to do their constitutionally assigned duties - and both sides of the aisle have failed to address it for over 40 years. 

I'm conservative leaning, but nowhere am I saying *how* this gets fixed. It's obvious though that what's been done to date isn't working. And it's causing more divisiveness than unity.

All of you also have to realize that people have feelings and perceptions just like you do.  There are a lot of people that feel that the government that is supposed to represent them cares more about its non-citizens than its citizens. The quickest way to conflict is to call someone stupid or ignorant.